PDA

View Full Version : My Wife Rewarded Me Today

gman5250
August 18th, 2017, 18:48
I've spent the last five years working my hind end off developing simulator related projects. I've plumbed all of my limited income into building a studio worthy of the task. When we went 64 bit, I knew it was time to step up to the plate...again. Daylight has had my six the whole way, working just as hard as me and never complaining once.

I fly four sims currently, soon to be five, then six. I favor one, but need to beta in all platforms because I intend to develop for all platforms. Call me crazy.

Today, Daylight quietly went online and ordered...drum roll...an

EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC2 GAMING, 11G-P4-6593-KR, 11GB GDDR5X, iCX

to replace my GTX 780, which is being sent to the BU box for some well earned rest.

Like many here, I am on a fixed income...at least until I re-enter the oceans of commerce, so this was a monster of a step for a monster of a card. The main justification is marketing related. Smooth video in state-of-the-art simulators is an absolute must. Running all of the eye candy, weather, traffic, 4K textures and other bling requires horsepower. This GPU certainly meets muster.

When I get things up to speed I'll contribute some video and performance evaluations and share what little expertise I have with anyone interested in the techie bits.

Right now...I might go open a cold one and celebrate a personal, and hard earned reward. I'm going to then kiss my wife...well maybe not in that order, but you get the drift.

:jump:

BTW...I painted the bike, built the engine....and married the girl....
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4378/35825894774_01d3b45146_o.jpg

txnetcop
August 18th, 2017, 18:51
LOL I settle for 1070, no wife no money! Good on ya Amigo! Take good care of that gal:applause::applause::applause:
Ted

MustangL2W
August 18th, 2017, 19:01
Thank your wife for all of us.....
We appreciate EVERYTHING you do, and her allowing you to do it to make our hobby so much more enjoyable!!!

blanston12
August 18th, 2017, 19:02
Score!

Your a lucky man to have someone who loves you that much!

Daveroo
August 18th, 2017, 19:08
wow,but looking at the pic you posted,youve been blessed for a long while......very nice looking wife there sir!.................nice bike as well..........

BTW,,,my dear wife is the puss in my avitar...............................sighs:dejecti on:

henrystreet
August 18th, 2017, 19:32
Congrats on all fronts. Best of luck with the new hardware.

Portia911
August 18th, 2017, 20:32
Hey Gordon, having read of some of your misfortunes in the past, it's really nice to hear this good news. Enjoy!

manfredc3
August 18th, 2017, 21:52
You are lucky in multiple ways,

An awesome graphics card.
Now being able to do what you love doing on any FS platform, using great tools.
and a wife that loves you so much, she even supports you with a great gift

You are a lucky sob all around :jump:

And as a small side effect, (uhh waddayamean small?), we are the lucky ones being able to enjoy all your hard work

scotth6
August 18th, 2017, 23:49
Great news Gordon, you are a lucky man.

Hoping to see the fruits of some of your hard work in the future. I know it will be amazing.

Cheers,

hairyspin
August 19th, 2017, 01:24
With P3Dv4 we at last have reason to upgrade the GPU; it was rather over doing things with old FSX to throw extra graphics processing at a sim that really needed cpu speed. Enjoy, but remember not all will have the horsepower to benefit for a bit yet.

btw, I just built a new rig for less than that monster costs....

cavaricooper
August 19th, 2017, 03:56
Congrats Gordon! Having seen your work I shall do my bit to add to your revenue stream when you are ready. The 1080Ti will certainly show off your talents well.

Enjoy!

C

n4gix
August 19th, 2017, 06:02
Good on ya mate! I know that I'm dearly loving my new sim machine with its mighty 1080 Ti 11GB video monster! :encouragement:

gman5250
August 19th, 2017, 07:03
Tom, Bill, everyone...I wouldn't persevere in doing this without the inspiration I derive from your work and support. I owe you all a huge debt of gratitude.

As Tom pointed out, the availability of 64bit is the pivotal point in the evolution of flight simulation. The restrictor plate has been removed and the headers un-corked...now we can just mash the throttle and enjoy the flat out power.

Bill...I'll wager that you spent very little time actually joy riding, but rather went immediately back to code and poly bending. The new possibilities are rather breathtaking. lol

Thank you sirs....:very_drunk:

hairyspin
August 19th, 2017, 07:57
A running joke at FSDeveloper is no developer actually flies in the sim, just uses it to test work. :a1310:

gman5250
August 19th, 2017, 08:29
A running joke at FSDeveloper is no developer actually flies in the sim, just uses it to test work. :a1310:

Do beta hours count as actual flight time? I dunno....:dizzy:

EasyEd
August 19th, 2017, 08:37
Hey All,

Nice!

Are you in line for a 8th gen Intel 8700k next?

Looks like CPU mono next?

-Ed-

gman5250
August 19th, 2017, 09:01
Hey All,

Nice!

Are you in line for a 8th gen Intel 8700k next?

Looks like CPU mono next?

-Ed-

The specs are kind of mind numbing. Who's going to be the first to take the plunge? Ed????

EasyEd
August 19th, 2017, 10:54
Hey All,

I dont know about it being me. Even though going to be announced Monday I'm not sure when anybody will see product - CPU and mobos. Of course you have to get both since chipsets are not compatible between coffeelake and either skylake or kabylake even though all are same socket. Also I would like an itx build. But I'm getting tired of only using my tablet when I've a couple thousand available for months.

My issue is simple - mainly future-proofing. What system can I buy today that will run decently 95 percent of all software to be developed over the next10 years? My last system went over 10 years. The future needs to be longevity not throw-away in a few years. I'm that way about most things I buy - will they last?I may have to hold my nose and get something. To go that route probably go inexpensive but adequate. I've never been afraid to pay more for quality and longevity but is that even real with respect to computers?

Now maybe being the way I am is tilting against windmills but I am that way oftentimes much to the chagrin of my wife and kids. Not unusual for me to want something and wait months into years to buy one - even when I have the dollars. Then I keep it for a very long time. YMMV.

That is a nice graphics card - will you be upgrading the rest of your system (in your Sig)?

-Ed-

hairyspin
August 19th, 2017, 10:56
... 8th gen Intel 8700k...

Coffee Lake? ROFL!! :biggrin-new: :dizzy: :costumed-smiley-034

Forget about future-proofing, it's like buying a new car and you lose the biggest chunk of its value when you drive it out of the showroom. Just for interest, I'm still running Office 2003, Photoshop CS4 and 3ds Max 2008 on this rig, built just a month ago and with Win 10 Pro as the OS. All the authorities and salesmen tell you only the latest versions of any software works with W10, so I must be doing something really wrong...

(the last machine went for 9 years until hardware faults crept up on me - I ran W10 on it too, latterly)

gman5250
August 19th, 2017, 11:21
That is a nice graphics card - will you be upgrading the rest of your system (in your Sig)?

-Ed-

My CPU is holding up OK for the moment Ed. It's not clocked, and I'm running a bomb cooler. It never even breaks a sweat.
I am going to work with some conservative overclocking to synch in with the new GPU. That will be a process until I find a sweet spot.

The upside of the coffeelake release, for me, is that it will bump down some very attractive processors to a very palatable price point.

For my purposes, migrating my work into 64bit and inching closer to a product line, if I can produce video at a level that represents the best aspects of the 64bit domain, I'll be good to go. Maybe a CPU upgrade this winter, but not high up the priority ladder.

To be honest, I think that the next big move will be to move in to the next level with a brand new build. That will require a bit of monetization from a paying business entity. I'll see how things develop on that end.

My biggest nightmare is that a new 1100 series card will be released next week after we took the bullet on this purchase. :untroubled:

BTW...I'll update the signature the day I boot the new card.

Sundog
August 19th, 2017, 12:36
Happy wife day Gordon! I can't help thinking she didn't just buy that for you, she bought that for all of us. :)

Have fun running the new rig, or, ahh, I mean, enjoy your beta time!

gman5250
August 19th, 2017, 12:46
Happy wife day Gordon! I can't help thinking she didn't just buy that for you, she bought that for all of us. :)

Have fun running the new rig, or, ahh, I mean, enjoy your beta time!

Daylight has been a part of the development process, and wants everyone to be able to enjoy the end result. She is actually going to be the front office. You bet, she did if for all of us.

Ancillary comment. My personal interpretation of the LM EULA...I have fun developing. Any questions? :biggrin-new:

Edit: I'm going to expand a bit on why Daylight stepped up.

I've got work, already converted for P3Dv4, P3Dv3, FSX and FSX SE. The work was designed for 64bit and converted robustly to its intended environment. I have four major sceneries and four airplanes in the queue.

The largest project is KRNO Reno Tahoe International Airport HD. The scenery uses high definition photoreal and hand painted geodata and single placed building and tree annotations for the entire city and surrounding area. It's massive. The airport is hyper detailed modeling and takes advantage of bump and specular mapping on every surface. The buildings all feature transparent/tinted glass with interior details. Tarmac features are hand painted recreations of actual satellite imagery. Dynamic lighting will be featured throughout.

The P3Dv4 model is, of course, tuned for its environment and to accommodate most systems.

For me to show this airport with a current V4_HD airplane model, Dynamic Lighting, REX TD/SC, GSX, MyTraffic, Active Sky P3D4, 4K resolution, ChasePlane cameras and WFO settings...my existing card just doesn't have the memory. I haven't shown Reno Tahoe in a comprehensive presentation for that reason.

Daylight wanted me to start sharing some video revealing the upcoming work. She made the call for me, but more so for you. This three dimensional, moving art form is my passion. Now I have tools to present the work in a high quality video format.

Example:
This video was made with my current 2gig card. I had to cheat and squeeze the eye candy and overall V4 bling to even come close to a smooth video.
Still it shows ground poly bump mapping and other 64bit features. If you watch to the end you will see some of the new generation vegetation out at WIP Fallon.

To really do the work justice...the card is mandatory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMuinbOIghk&t=911s

gray eagle
August 19th, 2017, 14:13
Hi G,

Nice Vid. :encouragement:

I sent you a PM

TK

Butch

Penzoil3
August 19th, 2017, 14:25
NICE BIKE! Great video card, and a good old lady.
LOL
Sue

gman5250
August 26th, 2017, 12:34
The card was delivered yesterday and went in without any issues.

I need to work on some color profiles, but otherwise she's a beauty.
I did a fresh install of P3Dv4 to make sure I'm working clean from the first boot of the card.

Kind of lovely...in a techie sort of way. :untroubled:

EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC2 GAMING, 11G-P4-6593-KR, 11GB GDDR5X, iCX

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4396/36015722443_3520fcef2f_o.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4393/36019558363_cfaafe47a4_o.jpg

hairyspin
August 26th, 2017, 12:59
Tidy setup Gordon, and very clean too. I've been surprised how much dust my filters gather in just a fortnight.

Penzoil3
August 26th, 2017, 13:07
A thing of beauty indeed.
Sue

Sundog
August 26th, 2017, 16:03
Nice video and nice rig. Hopefully my new rig will be a close match once my rma'd MB is returned. ;) I'm looking forward to trying out P3D.

gman5250
August 26th, 2017, 16:08
Tidy setup Gordon, and very clean too. I've been surprised how much dust my filters gather in just a fortnight.

Dust is an issue here too. This is a volcano caldera, so the soil is very alkali and the consistency of talcum powder. When people go off road, the crud won't even rinse off with a hose. Almost takes a sixty grit grinding disk. lol

I clean the box every two weeks or so, but I'm looking seriously at building a sealed cabinet with 3M Filtrete filters for ventilation and cleaning the air. The box will be able to breathe, but the filters will catch most everything before it gets to the fans.

I got good mileage out of the old 780 card, which is actually a perfectly good card for a backup or beta box. Hopefully, I can keep this card running at full song for a few years.

gman5250
August 26th, 2017, 16:43
A bit of re-install information.

I'm a proponent of using the Add-ons file architecture, recommended by LM for P3Dv4. I install all of my add-on sceneries and aircraft using the .xml coding method that points the parent sim to the remotely located third party data.

The complete P3Dv4 un-install/re-install I did this morning was a simple, remove program via the recommended procedure, then re-installing the vanilla program from the latest revision. I keep that archived on a remote storage disk.

The benefit of using this structure is simple. The vanilla program boots up and immediately finds all of that support data via the .xml sheets for the individual sceneries and aircraft.

I save out the gauges and effects files before un-installing the parent sim. When I load the vanilla sim, I just drop those right back in.

The whole process eliminates the need for endless re-installs of a rather large archive of scenery, airplanes and other bits.

There are one or two products that insist on installing in the parent sim. ORBX is a good example, but I just use FTX Central for a set it and forget it re-install of those products.

I've lost count of how many FSX and P3D installs I have done in the last few years. Using the new structure saves me a bunch of time.

Daveroo
August 26th, 2017, 16:56
back in the early 80s a local bank got a new computer system,it took a stand alone building that was 1500 square feet,my apartment at the time was barely 500 square feet.it had its own ac units..like 4 or 5 of them.a halon fire system,which is why i got involved,was the only in my area at the time and i was on the hazmat team,so we trained on the system,which i know seems oddd now since halon is a fire extinguishing agent.but it was considered a hazardous material at the time ( i have no idea about it now,if its still even used) but had there been a fire,only 3 of us were allowed to enter the building. but anyway,,,the thing is,it was a totally controlled environment .pulled in outside air,but it went through many filters and what have you,the filtration building was bigger then the computor building.and it made so much noise the city made them shut it down.but im sure it was a short time and that same system coudl be run by a normal sized unit or something...

greenie
August 26th, 2017, 18:55
From the Orbx website, a copy and paste of reinstalling Orbx from backups without having to download except FTX Global Base (if you use that )....

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/124986-how-to-re-install-ftx-products-with-least-downloading/

If you need to re-install all your products because you are making a clean re-install of your flight simulator and/or Operating System

or you have bought a new PC, this can be done without the need to download your products again, except FTX Global.

You will need to have transferred your licences to Orbx Direct.

1. Make a back up of your ORBX folder, scenery\World\scenery, Sound and Effects folders, either on an external drive

or on an internal drive that will remain in your existing PC or you intend to include in your new PC.

If you are re-installing your operating system, this must not be your current or intended System (C:) drive

2. Install your flight simulator into your new Windows installation, you can use the C drive now, if you wish.

3. Copy your back up of the Orbx, scenery\World\scenery, Sound and effects folders into your simulator's root folder.

In each case, skip the overwrite, you will only be replacing the existing default files.

4. Install FTX Central v3 from the link on the Orbx Direct home page.

If you don't have FTX Global you have finished. If you do, go to step 5.

5. Re-install FTX Global Base.

To do this, go to ORBX\User Documents\Versions and delete FTX_GLOBAL_BASE_PACK.txt.

When you run FTX Central, FTX Global Base will show as Not installed. Click on its icon and

follow the prompts.

This method should be used to set any product to show Not installed and it can then be re-installed

if required. FTX Central will check the installation and only download the files that are missing.

If you don't have HD trees you have finished. If you do, go to step 6.

6. Re-install HD trees

If you don't want Orbx AI, you have finished. If you do, go to step 7

7. Re-install Orbx AI

manfredc3
August 29th, 2017, 09:07
Very clean case with a great video card. You are going to really enjoy the improvements coming from that card.

Dimus
August 29th, 2017, 09:51
Gordon, it looks great and I am with you on the looks techie thing!

How is the liquid cooler in terms of noise. I had a single fan one (Corsair) but it was noisy and I switched back to air without heat issues.

expat
August 30th, 2017, 02:10
How much better would my rig run with a GTX 1080 replacing my existing GTX 780? Provided it would fit my motherboard.

I have a 64 bit i7 4770k @3.50GHz processor with 8.00GB RAM installed memory. Both CPU and GFX card are factory overclocked and rig is water cooled.

wombat666
August 30th, 2017, 07:58
How much better would my rig run with a GTX 1080 replacing my existing GTX 780? Provided it would fit my motherboard.

I have a 64 bit i7 4770k @3.50GHz processor with 8.00GB RAM installed memory. Both CPU and GFX card are factory overclocked and rig is water cooled.

Try a pair!
Jesting aside, the upgrade would be significant.
This is just my original 'untidy' build, 12 weeks later and it's much more attractive and handling 99.99% of the tasks I throw at it.:biggrin-new:

https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/642x1077q90/923/zASHOE.jpg

gman5250
August 30th, 2017, 08:10
Try a pair!
Jesting aside, the upgrade would be significant.

OHHHHH Baby!!!!!!!! That is frickin' beautiful! :very_drunk::very_drunk::very_drunk:

gman5250
August 30th, 2017, 08:16

I had a performance increase of about 300%. The GTX 780 is a 3gig card, the GTX 1080 is 8gig, and the GTX 1080 TI is 11gig. I highly recommend 11gig.
Typical FPS on the ground at one of my sceneries was about 22FPS with the 780. Now I'm 60-75 in the same spot with higher slider settings, Dynamic Lighting and Reflections etc. enabled. It's a big jump up.

If your board handled the GTX 780, it should be a straight up swap to the GTX 1080. Make sure your power supply is adequate, and double check your MOBO compatibility just to be sure.

Just a HU, go to HDMI if you are running VGA. The adapter for the VGA is not the same as the 780 card. I switched to HDMI3 and have seen dramatic visual improvements using the card/cable combo.