PDA

View Full Version : Manfred Jahn DC3 engine failures?

TheAviator
August 13th, 2017, 07:59
Been spending a good deal of time flying this great plane. Usually no issues, but today I was attempting a flight form Aberdeen to Glasgow Scotland, and about halfway through the flight the left engine failed. A few minutes later the right engine failed. I was able to land safely in a field, but was not able to find out what had gone wrong. I restarted the flight, and was more careful about not overstressing the engines, and generally watching the instruments and keeping everything within limits. I made the flight successfully, but after landing at Glasgow as I was taxiing to parking, the left engine suddenly died. The right engine kept working and I was able to taxi off the runway. Again I don't know what went wrong. Anyone have any suggestion?

I fly in P3D but will post here, since there seem to be more readers who might help.

Thanks for any suggestions.

banjoman1960
August 13th, 2017, 10:43
Been spending a good deal of time flying this great plane. Usually no issues, but today I was attempting a flight form Aberdeen to Glasgow Scotland, and about halfway through the flight the left engine failed. A few minutes later the right engine failed. I was able to land safely in a field, but was not able to find out what had gone wrong. I restarted the flight, and was more careful about not overstressing the engines, and generally watching the instruments and keeping everything within limits. I made the flight successfully, but after landing at Glasgow as I was taxiing to parking, the left engine suddenly died. The right engine kept working and I was able to taxi off the runway. Again I don't know what went wrong. Anyone have any suggestion?

I fly in P3D but will post here, since there seem to be more readers who might help.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Hi,
you use P3Dv3 or 4?
c47v2 or v3 do you use the last beta?
if you set all right it shut work,maybee forget something?

cheers
Ralf

TheAviator
August 14th, 2017, 06:34
Hi, I am using P3Dv4 and the C47 v3 beta. I have flown some more and am wondering if I did not set the cowl flaps properly during descent and landing and overheated the engines.

banjoman1960
August 14th, 2017, 06:48
set them to trail,then they open automatic:ernaehrung004:

blanston12
August 14th, 2017, 08:46
I have had this happen to me, the problem is fuel, you need to switch from the main to aux fuel tanks before they run out.
Be sure to turn on the fuel pumps before you switch or they may die on you.

TheAviator
August 14th, 2017, 12:38
I have had this happen to me, the problem is fuel, you need to switch from the main to aux fuel tanks before they run out.

Okay, I will look into this on a flight tomorrow. Thanks

TheAviator
August 16th, 2017, 05:40

Yes, this was the problem. I wasn't aware that the engines did not just draw from all of the tanks until none left. On the one time I have now attempted to change fuel tanks during flight, despite the fact that I turned on the fuel pumps, both engines died. I tried to restart them in flight but was unsuccessful and eventually had to crash land. Any further advice on changing fuel tanks in flight? Thanks

PhantomTweak
August 16th, 2017, 11:06
If I remember correctly, the fuel tank selector switch is easy to select to OFF rather than aux tanks, if you're not very careful which end of the switch you point to the selection. Could it be that's what happened when you tried to switch tanks?
I also seem to recall that the correct AUX tank must be chosen, not just any old aux tank will do, but darned if I can recall the exact details, or switching order.
Make sure the aux tank you choose has plenty of fuel in it too. I think once a tank gets down to about 1/4, the quantity displayed may not be very accurate.
Just trying to think of possible reasons why the engines are dying. I am sure there are many more possibilities I'm missing...
Pat☺