PDA

View Full Version : MCX export error fix

lazarus
August 9th, 2017, 13:26
Export fail. Main string ARGS error.:banghead: Found one solution for that. Some stuff errors out on that code, very annoying.
I was trying to get the Alpha A90 ekranoplan :banghead:converted, kept getting that error code.
I traced it back to texture names with non letter characters in the the name. In particular, MCX does not like ampersand (&) in the texture titles.
Doesn't seem to bother dynamic VC panel tex's, though.
If you are getting that error on export, rename any textures with & @ # $ % + or what ever.
Won't help with the 68K vertice error, though.

Bjoern
August 10th, 2017, 09:11
Ran into this one recently, too. Removing illegal characters from the aircraft.cfg did the trick.

lazarus
August 10th, 2017, 14:30
I though I saw some shifty looking characters loitering around the cfg, but I simply assumed it was the thought police again :biggrin-new:
Good to know the cfg can do it too, thanks Bjoren. MCX doesn't actually glitch often, it's nice to finally kill that one off. If I can get that thing around the vertice limit error, It'd be aces.

Bjoern
August 10th, 2017, 16:23
The only way to fix the vertex limit error when modeling in GMax, etc...is to clone the material, alter, say, specular power by 1 and apply the material to some of the problematic parts.

When only working with MCX, this needs to be done by editing some lines in the model's .x file. I think renaming the material of some of the problematic parts (e.g. "Material VC_1_C0" -> "Material VC_1_C01") and then altering the specular power value (third line in the "FS10Material{}" section and a single value).
Finding the parts in the .x file, however is quite a bit of a challenge. Assuming that MCX states the material causing the error, you can simply CTRL+F your way through the several thousand lines of text, but if not, you'll better have a calculator ready (the first number below "MeshTextureCoords" states the number of texture vertices for a given part, I think).