PDA

View Full Version : One More Minor Problem

falcon409
July 14th, 2017, 06:45
I run two monitors and prior to my decision to clean my PC and get rid of some cobwebs, both were recognized by the system. However after turning the power supply on and getting back to work in Win7. . .only one is recognized. My other monitor runs on an HDMI connector which is integrated into the Motherboard. It worked before I turned off the computer. . .9 hours later, after the power supply debacle it's no longer recognized. The monitor has power, I installed the latest driver for the GTX 970 and rebooted, no joy. The NVidia Control Panel doesn't see any more than the single monitor so I'm unsure as to why the second monitor isn't responding or being recognized.:dizzy:

mjahn
July 14th, 2017, 07:00
Check HDMI compatible sockets on both sides, there may be several, try all. I had a new PC and monitor, several sockets labeled HDMI I and HDMI II, neither established the connection. Then tried another socket with no label at all and what do you know ...

falcon409
July 14th, 2017, 07:12
Check HDMI compatible sockets on both sides, there may be several, try all. I had a new PC and monitor, several sockets labeled HDMI I and HDMI II, neither established the connection. Then tried another socket with no label at all and what do you know ...
The PC has only one HDMI plugin. The card (NVidia GTX 970) says it has one, but if it does, "none of the them are labeled", it's a different style plug as the monitor doesn't fit any of them. Basically I have one HDMI plugin to work with, which is another reason why I'm curious as to why it suddenly doesn't work.

Dimus
July 14th, 2017, 08:12
Strange that you do not see HDMI sockets on your card. The 970 should have more than one HDMI sockets and I think it would be best if you connect the monitor to the card rather than the on board graphics socket of the motherboard. My 970 is that way anyway.

awstub
July 14th, 2017, 09:22
I suggest ruling out the cable (any adapters you might be using with it) first.

Also, see if the internal GPU/monitor works without the external GPU/monitor installed.

If they each work, then you should check your boot settings and make sure the internal GPU isn't being disabled when it recognizes the external GPU. Some systems disable the internal GPU by default.....and it may have somehow defaulted to that when you were changing out the power supply.

napamule
July 14th, 2017, 11:23
Right click on desktop and go to 'Screen Resolution'. Look for what is listed there. If your 2nd monitor is listed there click on it an then click 'Detect'. Also try to disconnect the HDMI cable, reboot PC, then re-connect it to see if Win 7 will recognize it.
Chuck B
Napamule

Dev One
July 14th, 2017, 12:03
Had to connect my two screens using the analogue connector, as only had one HDMI!
Keith

falcon409
July 14th, 2017, 12:13
Strange that you do not see HDMI sockets on your card. The 970 should have more than one HDMI sockets and I think it would be best if you connect the monitor to the card rather than the on board graphics socket of the motherboard. My 970 is that way anyway.
That was correct, it did seem unlikely that a card that size wouldn't have an HDMI port but after the power supply debacle I was hesitant to "force" anything else. I had tried all 4 plug ins prior and each appeared to be not only the wrong size but also the wrong configuration for an HDMI. I tried once more and kept pushing till it seated correctly. Back to dual monitors and it will be quite some time before I decide to do any extensive house cleaning on the computer again. lol:wavey: