PDA

View Full Version : Turbine Mallard

aspen31
July 13th, 2017, 08:04
This is probably a question for Mr Shupe but I would appreciate any suggestions. I have recently been using the Turbine Mallard in Prepar3D v3.4 and it for the most part it works well although the panel icons representing "GPS Map, "Radios", and "yoke" don't function. I have found that this machine is much "stickier" on the water than say the recently revived Beech D-18 amphibian. The Beech will basically fly off the water at around 80 KTS where the Turbine Mallard takes great "pull back" effort to get it airborne even at speeds approaching 100KTS. To me the D-18 speeds seem more realistic so I'm wondering if these conditions can be adjusted at all in the Mallard.
Thanks
Warren (aspen31)

Tako_Kichi
July 13th, 2017, 09:43
Check your cargo/passenger weights and fuel load. The Mallard could have full fuel and no passengers or full passengers and a reduced fuel load. If you have full fuel and full cargo/passengers you will struggle to get it up and climb.

aspen31
July 13th, 2017, 10:41
Hi
I have tried various weights and fuel combinations and perhaps as the airplane approaches operational gross weight I'm trying to "horse it" off the water too much. In my last attempt I used 100 KTS as a lift off speed and 1 notch of flap and it did work better. I'll play some more.
Thanks
Warren

Tako_Kichi
July 13th, 2017, 10:55
It should break free at a little over 90 knots, one notch of flaps and some up trim should do it.

AussieMan
July 13th, 2017, 15:21
​Don't you also have to make sure the floats are empty?

Tako_Kichi
July 13th, 2017, 17:32
If you are referring to the fuel in the floats Pat then you can have that as long as you have no pax at the same time.

If you are referring to the bilge water I believe that function was only available on the LDR radial Mallard and not Milton's turbine Mallard.

Milton Shupe
July 13th, 2017, 19:08
The TP Mallard uses no tip tanks and does not use the bilge fill/pumps like the LDR radial version does.

For water take off, full load (default load), take off into the wind (makes a big difference), use 5-5.5 degrees nose up trim, and 2 notches of flaps.
You can use 1 notch of flaps, and that should get you off around 90 kias.

Keep yoke pulled back for the duration of the run.

You should lift off around 85 kias.

BTW, maneuvers are eased by differential throttle; one can be forward while the other is reversed (blue light). This is essential in a 15+kias wind on water.
Otherwise use the virtual rudder.

EDIT: Yes, may be considered sticky. I forgot what the real world lift off speed is. Will have to look it up. Could be the lift curve needs tweaking.

EDIT2: The manual says Minimum Take Off Speed (V2) is 100 MPH TIAS (87 kias), so depending on weight, temps, and air density, probably more.
You also may try the same nose up trim with no flaps as the manual indicates flaps not required for normal TO distances.

EDIT3: No flaps, 16kias gusty winds, 5 degrees up, 97 kias; 94 kias at 5.5 degrees up; default load/fuel.

aspen31
July 14th, 2017, 02:51
Hi Milton
Thanks. It's quite possible the airplane is performing better and more accurately than I am.
Take care
Warren

Milton Shupe
July 14th, 2017, 05:26
Hi Milton
Thanks. It's quite possible the airplane is performing better and more accurately than I am.
Take care
Warren

Warren, just one more thought; the D18S Amphibian also on take off has a much great AoA in its takeoff run that probably helps a bit. But generally, the D18S has a lower take off speed than does the Mallard.

aspen31
July 14th, 2017, 06:38
Hi Milton
My technique is improving slightly. At lower weights and fuel load I can get the machine to almost fly off the water with moderate only moderate back pressure on the yoke. I'll continue to work on it.
Thanks for all the help.
Warren