PDA

View Full Version : Sint Maarten jet engine blast kills woman

papab
July 13th, 2017, 03:35
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-40591757

I haved watched those videos and I really can't understand why you would want to stand 160 away from a jet engine in takeoff power?
I was a jet mechanic in Naval Air and worked on GE J79-10 engines with afterburner. In full military power at the high power pad, we would clear off an area 300 feet long behind the plane, I could never imagine standing in the jet blast..

Maybe the signs they have posted should be more explicit on what can happen,like death maybe????
Do not know what they say have not been there...
Just my 2 cents this morning

Rick

PRB
July 13th, 2017, 05:10
There is this sign. That seems clear enough, but signs like that are everywhere...

Daveroo
July 13th, 2017, 09:20
i havent looked online,but i remember that the myth busters did a thing where they used a 747 and blew a bus and car aroun d and they also tested two tornado chaser rigs and blew them around too...a human doesnt stand a chance.

PhantomTweak
July 13th, 2017, 11:33
No, a human is a speck of dust to that much force.
I'm sorry, but I feel no sympathy for her. Her family, maybe, but she went out there, and held onto the fence, foolishly, all by herself. No coercion. She may as well have put a gun to her head and pulled the trigger. What fun she had, wasn't it?

Moral of the story: Don't do stupid things that WILL kill you. There are easier, more painless ways to commit suicide.

Pat☺

Ganter
July 14th, 2017, 00:13
It has for a long time been a "Must do" thing on visiting Sint Maarten. People stand at the fence on Beacon Hill Road at the end of RWY 10 either slightly to the right or left, not directly in line with it.
I guess she just ignored this basic local knowledge.

stansdds
July 14th, 2017, 02:31
Prop blast is enough for me, I'm not really interested in feeling jet blast. Sorry that she is dead, but the signs are posted for a reason.