PDA

View Full Version : TrackIR Has Died!

falcon409
July 12th, 2017, 08:32
My current TrackIR4 (with Pro Clip) has finally given up the ghost. I am now looking for anyone who might have bought a TrackIR 4 or 5, decided it wasn't for them and maybe has it stuffed in a drawer or closet somewhere and would like to sell it to a needy individual who is lost without it, lol

Willy
July 12th, 2017, 08:48
Ed, I've got a 4 somewhere. Used it a bit, but every time I'd look down, it'd freeze in that position. I'll dig around and see if I can find it this evening. If I can, and you want it, it's yours. (Hasn't been used since IR4 was newly released)

falcon409
July 12th, 2017, 09:35
That would be great Willy. . .and I don't mind paying you for it.

falcon409
July 12th, 2017, 13:34
I've been looking here as well https://www.trackhat.org/
(https://www.trackhat.org/)About 50% of what a full setup from NaturalPoint would cost me, just not completely sold on how it compares once in the Sim.

Naismith
July 12th, 2017, 14:04
I found it better than TIR as it is not affected by backlight. See my other comment on your other posting.

Willy
July 12th, 2017, 16:03
Ed, I just dug through the boxes of stuff that came out of my computer "corner" when we moved last year and no joy.

vortex
July 12th, 2017, 16:39
I've been looking here as well https://www.trackhat.org/
(https://www.trackhat.org/)About 50% of what a full setup from NaturalPoint would cost me, just not completely sold on how it compares once in the Sim.

Whilst I don't use a Trackhat (I made my own), I do use the free Opentrack software which comes with it and it works very well in FSX. I've compared my setup directly to TrackIR 5 and can see no difference in performance. Opentrack (and FaceTrackNoIR, which is equally as good) takes a little setting up once installed but it's well worth the effort. Also look at the DelanClip - http://www.delanengineering.com/. More durable than the Trackhat clip for a similar price. If you're at all handy with a soldering iron, it's easy to make you own for very little outlay - all the details are available online.

Penzoil3
July 12th, 2017, 19:16
I have the Trackhat clip, and it's rock solid. I can't see how it could possibly break. I don't like the exposed wiring on the Delan clip at all.
Sue

spatialpro
July 13th, 2017, 00:51
I feel your pain... the exact same thing happened to me a short while ago. I was bereft.

Here is my 2 cents...

I was faced with splashing cash on another TrackIR, but I'd been considering VR for ages. Rather than spend the cash on static technology I decided to put it towards new technology in the form of a 2nd hand Rift CV1, so I pushed the boat out and went for it. In the same way that I used to hate flying without my beloved TrackIR I now hate flying outside VR! I used to rate TrackIR as one of those "must have" technologies, next on the list after joystick/joke. I now also rate VR as must have. I'll never go back. For anyone else who's beloved TrackIR also dies about now this happens to be an opportune moment in time, as the Rift CV1 is being sold new at a massive discount...

I'm currently really considering burying my dead TrackIR with full rites...

Andy

jmbiii
July 13th, 2017, 04:00
Ed,
Send me your address by PM and I'll send you my "Trackhat". Gratis.
I bought it and never used it. It sits under a pile of papers on my desk.
Joe

Bookman1960
July 13th, 2017, 09:17
Your post has seriously inspired me to take the plunge!

But before I shell out $400 was there anything you can share in the form of a cautionary tale? Did it work in FS straight out of the box or did it require some significant tweaking before you were content?

Bookman

I feel your pain... the exact same thing happened to me a short while ago. I was bereft.

Here is my 2 cents...

I was faced with splashing cash on another TrackIR, but I'd been considering VR for ages. Rather than spend the cash on static technology I decided to put it towards new technology in the form of a 2nd hand Rift CV1, so I pushed the boat out and went for it. In the same way that I used to hate flying without my beloved TrackIR I now hate flying outside VR! I used to rate TrackIR as one of those "must have" technologies, next on the list after joystick/joke. I now also rate VR as must have. I'll never go back. For anyone else who's beloved TrackIR also dies about now this happens to be an opportune moment in time, as the Rift CV1 is being sold new at a massive discount...

I'm currently really considering burying my dead TrackIR with full rites...

Andy

Bjoern
July 13th, 2017, 09:23
If the TIR stays dead, a simple webcam, an Aruco tracker and Opentrack software will do the job adequately.
An Aruco tracker is basically a printable box filled with a certain pattern that a software algorithm is able to recognize. Opentrack uses it for deriving position and rotation. So all that's needed is to print out said tracker, tape it onto a piece of cardboard and mount it to a base cap or trucker cap or anyting else that's wearable. Making it work in Opentrack is easy, but setting up game profiles can take some time (to get the curves right). The advantage of this setup is no cables and no battery pack. And provided the camera can handle it, the tracker even works with nothing but the screen as a light source. Backlighting poses a bit of a problem though.

It's the best "poor man's TrackIR" I've found (much better than Facetracknoir and completely free) and works well in FSX, DCS and Falcon BMS.

More info:
https://github.com/opentrack/opentrack/wiki
https://github.com/opentrack/opentrack/wiki/Aruco-tracker

There are also Youtube videos on the subject.

spatialpro
July 13th, 2017, 11:33
But before I shell out $400 was there anything you can share in the form of a cautionary tale? Did it work in FS straight out of the box or did it require some significant tweaking before you were content?

With the advent of Prepar3D v4, for me, with my rig (see signature below), no. No tweaks or addons at all. In v3 I had to use FlyInSide. I have not flown VR in FSX, because I no longer fly FSX. I would recommend a 1000 series nVidia card if you don't already have one. With my setup I simply switch on my PC, fire up P3D4, select aircraft, airfield etc, start the flight, don the Rift and goooooo.....! :encouragement: To me this is exactly how flight simming should be.

PhantomP
July 13th, 2017, 15:23
I bought trackhat a couple of months ago,and,I love it.A friend,and,I compared it to his trackir5,it performed equal,and even better in certain tests,my two cents.

vortex
July 13th, 2017, 16:37
But before I shell out $400 was there anything you can share in the form of a cautionary tale?

Worth noting that both the Rift and the Vive have less than HD resolution. So great if you want the immersion but not so good if you want clarity.

Navy Chief
July 14th, 2017, 14:34
VR equipment will have to come WAY, WAY down in price before I can afford it, period. I probably won't be physically able to flight sim anymore by the time THAT happens, though. :banghead: NC

falcon409
July 14th, 2017, 15:19
VR equipment will have to come WAY, WAY down in price before I can afford it, period. I probably won't be physically able to flight sim anymore by the time THAT happens, though. :banghead: NC
Ditto Chief. If you have $400 to grab one more power to ya, but I won't even know what a flight simulator is by the time these things become "affordable", lol

Stefano Zibell
July 14th, 2017, 17:58
If the TIR stays dead, a simple webcam, an Aruco tracker and Opentrack software will do the job adequately.
An Aruco tracker is basically a printable box filled with a certain pattern that a software algorithm is able to recognize. Opentrack uses it for deriving position and rotation. So all that's needed is to print out said tracker, tape it onto a piece of cardboard and mount it to a base cap or trucker cap or anyting else that's wearable. Making it work in Opentrack is easy, but setting up game profiles can take some time (to get the curves right). The advantage of this setup is no cables and no battery pack. And provided the camera can handle it, the tracker even works with nothing but the screen as a light source. Backlighting poses a bit of a problem though.

It's the best "poor man's TrackIR" I've found (much better than Facetracknoir and completely free) and works well in FSX, DCS and Falcon BMS.

More info:
https://github.com/opentrack/opentrack/wiki
https://github.com/opentrack/opentrack/wiki/Aruco-tracker

There are also Youtube videos on the subject.

Guess I'll have to buy me some cardboard then. I used the face tracker thing in facetracknoir for a while, but it was too inconsistent to my refined tastes.

Bjoern
July 15th, 2017, 06:26

Read my post (#12) and give the cheaper solution a try.