PDA

View Full Version : AT-11 Next Up for Native Treatment

Milton Shupe
July 9th, 2017, 09:10
Got this one started and as usual there's always some nebulous issue that hounds me. :-)

This project has four models: turret, dome, capped, and civilian, so it will take a while.

There are 10 liveries; here are 3 of them using the turret model that is a WIP.

Bomber_12th
July 9th, 2017, 09:29
Really looking forward to this one, Milton! The AT-11 is such a cool airplane, especially with all of the wartime details - turret, bomb sight, bomb bay, etc. - and having seen a few over time in real life, it allows me to enjoy your sim model even more. I visited one last year that is just beginning to undergo restoration to complete original WWII configuration/details, at AirCorps Aviation, that is thought to have likely been used by the WASP's during one of its assignments during WWII, at Childress Army AFB in Childress, Texas. http://www.wotn.org/aircraft/kansan/

Milton Shupe
July 9th, 2017, 14:46
Really looking forward to this one, Milton! The AT-11 is such a cool airplane, especially with all of the wartime details - turret, bomb sight, bomb bay, etc. - and having seen a few over time in real life, it allows me to enjoy your sim model even more. I visited one last year that is just beginning to undergo restoration to complete original WWII configuration/details, at AirCorps Aviation, that is thought to have likely been used by the WASP's during one of its assignments during WWII, at Childress Army AFB in Childress, Texas. http://www.wotn.org/aircraft/kansan/

Thank you John.

I was fortunate in this build to have access to, and support from Taigh Ramey who was restoring an AT-11 at Twinbeech.com
(http://www.twinbeech.com/at-11page1.htm)

Milton Shupe
July 10th, 2017, 06:20
Yes Bubba, there is a revenue producer.

The Civilian Version is alive as a cargo mover, mostly small stuff though.

All models now converted; just need to go thru them for a quality check before beta testing.

Milton Shupe
July 10th, 2017, 06:22
A few shots of the domed and capped versions ...

Milton Shupe
July 10th, 2017, 14:33
Finally finished with the modeling, adding pilot and turret gunner, a few more tweaks and we should be good for beta.

In the early '40's, the HAAF in Hobbs, NM was a busy place, a heavy user of the AT-11's for B-29 bomber training, gunner training, mechanic training, navigation training, etc. Over 4000 service men and women were stationed there along with a host of AT-11's, B-29's, and other misc. aircraft.

Tako_Kichi did this airbase back in 2010-11 modeling every building, tower, train, and vehicle there at the time I think. It also sports alternate airports for navigation training plus bombing sites. Great job and home for the AT-11.

The scenery is available here at SOH.

Milton Shupe
July 10th, 2017, 17:18
You can find the beta here. Thanks for your help in advance to shake out any not so obvious issues.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?linkid=22789&catid=37

WarHorse47
July 10th, 2017, 19:02
Nicely done. Much better than the port-over version I've been flying. Thanks, Milton.

Milton Shupe
July 11th, 2017, 05:48
Nicely done. Much better than the port-over version I've been flying. Thanks, Milton.

Thanks WH. Let me know if you discover any issues.

Milton Shupe
July 14th, 2017, 08:00
After about 250 downloads of the beta, I have received only one report of issues, so I assume all is well.

I will upload the final version this weekend, maybe late Saturday, to give a little more time for those who work long and hard all week.

diabzy
July 14th, 2017, 17:43
After about 250 downloads of the beta, I have received only one report of issues, so I assume all is well.

I will upload the final version this weekend, maybe late Saturday, to give a little more time for those who work long and hard all week.

I only noticed the prop spinner isn't too visible. Other than that everything else is great. Thanks for the upload.

Tuor2112
July 14th, 2017, 23:36
No problems noticed in FSXA. Just needs thumbnails!

Milton Shupe
July 15th, 2017, 05:04
I only noticed the prop spinner isn't too visible. Other than that everything else is great. Thanks for the upload.

Thank you; I will have a look at that.

EDIT: Corrected

No problems noticed in FSXA. Just needs thumbnails!

Thank you; they have been added. :wavey:

George Kuhn
July 16th, 2017, 14:36
I just want to ask. I have the plane installed in my FSX

There is a File ID with some info. It mentions. Also look for Larry Green's scenery for the Hobbs Army Airforce (HAAF) B-17 Bomber Training Base featuring AI Flights, static models and AT-11's.
I'm still looking around for this scenery addon. Can anyone point me to where Larry Green's scenery addon is or who has it. I did look for it on Avsim and at flightsim website. If Larry's scenery addon is here in the Warbirds Library. I'm not seeing it. I'd like to give it a try, when I find it
I assume it will work in my FSX etc.

THX

George

falcon409
July 16th, 2017, 14:43
I just want to ask. I have the plane installed in my FSX

There is a File ID with some info. It mentions. Also look for Larry Green's scenery for the Hobbs Army Airforce (HAAF) B-17 Bomber Training Base featuring AI Flights, static models and AT-11's.
I'm still looking around for this scenery addon. Can anyone point me to where Larry Green's scenery addon is or who has it. I did look for it on Avsim and at flightsim website. If Larry's scenery addon is here in the Warbirds Library. I'm not seeing it. I'd like to give it a try, when I find it
I assume it will work in my FSX etc.

THX

George
Check here:
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links_search.php?action=show&userid=49184&sort=d

George Kuhn
July 16th, 2017, 15:03
Check here:
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links_search.php?action=show&userid=49184&sort=d

Thanks Falcon.

This will probably be a real trip, getting it installed, because I have all the orbx products installed in my fsx. So. I'm not sure what kind of issues I'll run into. I will at least have the Hobbs field added above all my orbx addon entries in my fsx library. I guess I'm concerned about the Hobbs afcad file, because of all the addon's I have at the moment.

George

falcon409
July 16th, 2017, 15:19
I wouldn't expect to see any problems as long it sits above Orbx. . .which is where you have it placed. It should be fine.

George Kuhn
July 16th, 2017, 15:36
I wouldn't expect to see any problems as long it sits above Orbx. . .which is where you have it placed. It should be fine.

I haven't installed Hobbs yet. I'm reading the Readme with important info. What is the ICAO code of the field where Hobbs will be when I install it?. On the orbx side, There have been a lot of freeware packs coming out. These are more or less making default airfields look better and add some things. This includes default military fields as well. I usually stay away from these freeware's in general.
I could end up with duplicate ICAO codes showing up. I'll search for duplicate afcads and de-activate one of them, if need be etc.

George

llanning08
July 16th, 2017, 17:00
Hobbs AAF Installs as NM82. The site of the WWII Hobbs AAF is today called Hobbs Industrial Airpark, but the airfield is not active (closed down in May 1948). The wartime runways are mostly intact. Should be no ADE conflicts with Orbx or FSX.

George Kuhn
July 17th, 2017, 10:09
Hobbs AAF Installs as NM82. The site of the WWII Hobbs AAF is today called Hobbs Industrial Airpark, but the airfield is not active (closed down in May 1948). The wartime runways are mostly intact. Should be no ADE conflicts with Orbx or FSX.

I did get the Hobbs AAF installed. When I started my FSX and put in the code NM82. it put me at NM80. The code I had to use to get Hobbs to show up was NM83. No problem. Hobbs does show up as required etc.

THX

George

Milton Shupe
July 17th, 2017, 10:25
I did get the Hobbs AAF installed. When I started my FSX and put in the code NM82. it put me at NM80. The code I had to use to get Hobbs to show up was NM83. No problem. Hobbs does show up as required etc.

THX

George

George, the correct ICAO code is NM83. Live in Hobbs, NM, and worked at the IAP. Be sure to check out the other airports in that scenery.

George Kuhn
July 17th, 2017, 11:08
George, the correct ICAO code is NM83. Live in Hobbs, NM, and worked at the IAP. Be sure to check out the other airports in that scenery.

Thanks Milton.

I guess your referring to the WWII addon scenery's in the Warbirds Library correct?. Is Hobbs anywhere near Holloman AFB, NM. Holloman is still an active base. I think the Germans are still at Holloman doing there normal training flights etc.

THX

George

Milton Shupe
July 17th, 2017, 11:31
Thanks Milton.

I guess your referring to the WWII addon scenery's in the Warbirds Library correct?. Is Hobbs anywhere near Holloman AFB, NM. Holloman is still an active base. I think the Germans are still at Holloman doing there normal training flights etc.

THX

George

George,

Both, today the Ind. Airpark and the WWII scenery - NM83 should put you there.

Holloman AFB is in South Central NM, whereas Hobbs is Southeast NM, 3 miles from the Texas border - near Seminole, TX.

George Kuhn
July 17th, 2017, 12:30
George,

Both, today the Ind. Airpark and the WWII scenery - NM83 should put you there.

Holloman AFB is in South Central NM, whereas Hobbs is Southeast NM, 3 miles from the Texas border - near Seminole, TX.

Thanks for the reply Milton. Are there, or do you know of any other WWII airfield addons I could add that would have everything in the download files including the AI traffic and planes, such as what Larry Green's Hobbs field has included, that would be in TX,NM,AZ, and or NV?. If I find any. I don't think I would have many issues with them, since I have all or most of the orbx regions, vector,FTX Global openLC North America and others. ORBX has has not gotten this far south yet with there big fat regions, that would cover the states mentioned here etc. Elevation might be an issue on some of the addon WWII fields. I can deal with that issue etc.

THX

George

Milton Shupe
July 17th, 2017, 15:56
Thanks for the reply Milton. Are there, or do you know of any other WWII airfield addons I could add that would have everything in the download files including the AI traffic and planes, such as what Larry Green's Hobbs field has included, that would be in TX,NM,AZ, and or NV?. If I find any. I don't think I would have many issues with them, since I have all or most of the orbx regions, vector,FTX Global openLC North America and others. ORBX has has not gotten this far south yet with there big fat regions, that would cover the states mentioned here etc. Elevation might be an issue on some of the addon WWII fields. I can deal with that issue etc.

THX

George

Hi George,

Sorry, I do not know. I do not install any add-on scenery as I try to keep my installation pristine for new product testing, i.e. so aircraft performance is not impacted by scenery installs.

Milton

WarHorse47
July 17th, 2017, 17:42
Perhaps I can provide some information on scenery to steer George in the right direction?

If you're content with a lot of WWII static aircraft, I highly recommend the scenery packages for the Solomon Islands, Marianas 1945, Chi Chi Jima, and Truk Atol.

For scenery with both static and ai aircraft, you might want to look at the freeware package for Iwo Jima. It contains an ai AT-11.

The only other packages with static and ai aircraft from WWII are payware packages from Team SDB.

BTW - I have the ORBX PNW which doesn't affect any of these addon sceneries. The skies over England do get a little crowded with some other Team SDB airfields representing the cold war.

Ahh.. found a couple pics (best before I lose Photobucket) :adoration:

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a185/WarHorse47/Random%20FSX%20Shots/Random%20FSX%2006/2013-11-3_8-39-36-228_zps36c9389b.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a185/WarHorse47/Random%20FSX%20Shots/Random%20FSX%2006/2013-10-26_20-40-16-198_zps39357fe4.jpg

George Kuhn
July 18th, 2017, 07:48
Perhaps I can provide some information on scenery to steer George in the right direction?

If you're content with a lot of WWII static aircraft, I highly recommend the scenery packages for the Solomon Islands, Marianas 1945, Chi Chi Jima, and Truk Atol.

For scenery with both static and ai aircraft, you might want to look at the freeware package for Iwo Jima. It contains an ai AT-11.

The only other packages with static and ai aircraft from WWII are payware packages from Team SDB.

BTW - I have the ORBX PNW which doesn't affect any of these addon sceneries. The skies over England do get a little crowded with some other Team SDB airfields representing the cold war.

Ahh.. found a couple pics (best before I lose Photobucket) :adoration:

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a185/WarHorse47/Random%20FSX%20Shots/Random%20FSX%2006/2013-11-3_8-39-36-228_zps36c9389b.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a185/WarHorse47/Random%20FSX%20Shots/Random%20FSX%2006/2013-10-26_20-40-16-198_zps39357fe4.jpg

Thanks for the heads up Warhorse. Where do I find the Team SDB at, or what is there website name if it's payware packages/products for fsx.

Since you have the orbx addons. When you install the SDB payware addons. Do you activate them above all the orbx addons in my fsx library?.

I also like the more modern military/Airforce scenery plus AI packages as well. I used to have a lot of these more modern packages installed, which were from the MAIW website, when I had my fs9 going. That was some time ago, before I went to FSX. I'm wondering if MAIW is doing any packages for FSX?.

THX

George

WarHorse47
July 18th, 2017, 08:40
Thanks for the heads up Warhorse. Where do I find the Team SDB at, or what is there website name if it's payware packages/products for fsx.

Since you have the orbx addons. When you install the SDB payware addons. Do you activate them above all the orbx addons in my fsx library?.

I also like the more modern military/Airforce scenery plus AI packages as well. I used to have a lot of these more modern packages installed, which were from the MAIW website, when I had my fs9 going. That was some time ago, before I went to FSX. I'm wondering if MAIW is doing any packages for FSX?.

THX

GeorgeYou can find the Team SDB products at FS PilotShop, PC Aviator and a few other sites. Installs are straightforward. For some airports you may have to deactivate the stock *.bgl file to remove any private aircraft. My SDB packages are above (lower ranking) my orbx addons.

I have a couple MAIW as well. None for FSX, but there are instructions for converting.