PDA

View Full Version : One for Epsillon

jankees
February 11th, 2009, 06:17
Hiya Stephan,

a few wip shots of my latest project, which I know you'll like.
Still quite a bit of work ahead of me, as the distortion on the tail is hell on the roundels. I'm not sure I'll manage to produce round roundels, it's really bad...mind you, I just noticed that the circle in the stars and bars isn't round either, see the last pic. Maybe we just have to learn to live with it..

lucas81
February 11th, 2009, 08:17
Jan,
Adjust the roundel to the one from the US markings. It will work fine. I did such thing with my Soviet paint and it works fine.

Lucas

PS: Very nice repaint!

ICDP
February 11th, 2009, 08:39
Hi Jan,

The warped mapping does make you feel like pulling your fair out doesn't it :)

One thing to be wary off is making the roundels too round. If you look at real photos of the Jug you will not find perfectly round roundels on the fuselage. Remember the templates they used were perfectly round but they were attached to curved areas on fuselages so would naturally end up distorted.

So IMHO it is best to aim for an effect that looks right but not perfect. Here is a photo to show what I mean.

Epsillon
February 11th, 2009, 09:10
Yeah! A french jug!
It looks very cool!
Distortions on roundels are what I hate most. It's easier to work on distorted checkerboards or letters like on Bomber's Mustang tail...
So, good luck and thank you, Jan...:wave:

Stephan

jankees
February 11th, 2009, 11:02
Distortions on roundels are what I hate most.
.......letters like on Bomber's Mustang tail...

I do now too. And the letters are distorted too on this one if they are too close to the roundel.
It's really weird, but just when I thought I was nearly there, I looked at it from a slightly different angle and.....well, see for yourself. Same aircraft, same roundel, slightly different viewing angles....

Epsillon
February 11th, 2009, 11:58
Impressive!
You will need to find a compromise because it looks the same on the original repaints (on the "My Gal Sal" for example)...

Good luck.

Stephan

jankees
February 13th, 2009, 09:15
uploading now...

jankees
February 13th, 2009, 09:20
and another pic that I really like

Epsillon
February 13th, 2009, 12:39
Thank you for this great job, Jan! :applause::applause::applause: