PDA

View Full Version : taking screenshots for texture thumbs

ian elliot
June 4th, 2017, 12:41
i want to make up my own thumbnail's for texture's but the centre of the screen is on the cockpit, what value do i need to change to centre on the whole ac ?

cheers in advance, ian

falcon409
June 4th, 2017, 13:59
I use spot view, rotate the aircraft to the position I want for the shot, take a screenie, load it into Paint Shop Pro, crop to the general shape of a thumbnail, save it as a jpeg and drop it into the texture folder renaming it to "thumbnail.jpg". I also on occasion load the aircraft image into the "Aircraft Selection Menu" window, take a screen of that when it rotates to a decent position and then into Paint shop Pro, etc, etc, etc. Sounds excruciating but it can be done in a few minutes for each thumbnail.

ian elliot
June 4th, 2017, 14:09
i like the "Aircraft Selection Menu" window option, i'll give that a try, thanks :wavey:

PhantomTweak
June 4th, 2017, 22:29
There is a program out, called Autothumbnail r2 which will, and I quote "Automatically generates a thumbnail file for the currently flying aircraft.The image (shown in the "select aircraft" menu) is based on a screen capture."

The download is called Autothumbnail2.zip. I am pretty sure it's available at Flightsim, Avsim, and so on.
Hope this helps a little.
Pat☺

Dev One
June 4th, 2017, 22:45
I use spot view, rotate the aircraft to the position I want for the shot, take a screenie, load it into Paint Shop Pro, crop to the general shape of a thumbnail, save it as a jpeg and drop it into the texture folder renaming it to "thumbnail.jpg". I also on occasion load the aircraft image into the "Aircraft Selection Menu" window, take a screen of that when it rotates to a decent position and then into Paint shop Pro, etc, etc, etc. Sounds excruciating but it can be done in a few minutes for each thumbnail.

Once I get to the spot in the sky I press P then one can rotate around & zoom in or out as required, then press ALT+print screen & then do the Paint Shop Pro transfer.

expat
June 5th, 2017, 00:56
There is a program out, called Autothumbnail r2 which will, and I quote "Automatically generates a thumbnail file for the currently flying aircraft.The image (shown in the "select aircraft" menu) is based on a screen capture."

If this is the same app I have been using for years, save yourself a bit of bother and install this. You just adjust your view - just as you do taking a screenie - and then click once on the upper tab "add ons" and then only one more click on "thumbnail." Done. Works a treat.

Jafo
June 5th, 2017, 02:38
If this is the same app I have been using for years, save yourself a bit of bother and install this. You just adjust your view - just as you do taking a screenie - and then click once on the upper tab "add ons" and then only one more click on "thumbnail." Done. Works a treat.
That it does
been using it for yonks...
standard res....256x128....so not something you want to zoom in on.
For that just do a screencap and crop to suit.....width should be double height for correct proportion.

Willy
June 5th, 2017, 05:42
When I'm doing a screen shot, I usually size it to 1260x630ish. That way if someone wants to look at it closer, they can. 256x128 is just too small for me. As long as it's a 2 to 1 length to height ratio which FS prefers, it doesn't make a difference to the sim.

Jafo
June 5th, 2017, 13:52
When I'm doing a screen shot, I usually size it to 1260x630ish. That way if someone wants to look at it closer, they can. 256x128 is just too small for me. As long as it's a 2 to 1 length to height ratio which FS prefers, it doesn't make a difference to the sim.
Actually it does....every time you load the page to select an aircraft...loading hundreds of images into cache...;)