PDA

View Full Version : C-119 WIP progress

Switchblade408
May 29th, 2017, 18:16
I remember following a thread on an upcoming Fairchild C-119 Flying Boxcar for FSX. I was wondering how far along that was, as the last I heard of the thread was in late April.

falcon409
May 29th, 2017, 18:36
I think this one is best left to Larry to explain. Hopefully he will see the question and answer soon.

Penzoil3
May 31st, 2017, 15:41
Me too. Can't even find that thread anymore. Want the Boxcar ! Followed that thread for a long time ! Firekitten?
Sue

blanston12
May 31st, 2017, 16:30
I work as a software developer and there is a phrase that is passed around some times. The first 90% of a project takes the first 90% of the time, the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

From my reading of that thread, it was a labor of love by the author. If it can't be perfect its not going to be released. I think we all have worked on something where our expectations of what is expected exceeds our ability to produce it or requires time we don't have. I can't say that's what happened here but I suspect so.

Could be something else of course. I remember working on something where things are going great and its getting close to release and hard disk failure! No backups, all was lost and I was so discouraged I could not pick it up again.

All I can say to Larry/Firekitten is don't get discouraged, even if you're stuck and feel you can't do any more, the community will love it, just as it is.

falcon409
May 31st, 2017, 17:27
Two things are holding this up:
1) Some remaining coding. . .(waiting for the coder to become available again)
2) Exterior textures. . . .(namely those promised by a very talented artist who has not produced what was expected).

My opinion (and only my opinion) based on my understanding of the current situation. . . . .if the remaining coding can be accomplished soon, the aircraft should be released as is. There are plenty of talented artists who could produce the exterior work (panel lines and rivets) and then offer those to the masses.

falcon409
May 31st, 2017, 18:40
I work as a software developer and there is a phrase that is passed around some times. The first 90% of a project takes the first 90% of the time, the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.

From my reading of that thread, it was a labor of love by the author. If it can't be perfect its not going to be released. I think we all have worked on something where our expectations of what is expected exceeds our ability to produce it or requires time we don't have. I can't say that's what happened here but I suspect so.
Actually, Larry started out with an original model that was actually pretty good with the intention of fine tuning it, making "some" improvements, move some poly's around and maybe rework the VC a bit to improve on what was already there and move it forward as an FSX native product.

What he has actually produced is so much more than anyone who's been waiting for the release could have expected. Larry has worked his modeling magic way beyond the norm. The VC alone has become a work of art with some really cool "functional" items beyond what would have been thought possible in the beginning and it's a shame that it's sitting idle, but hopefully not for much longer. So it's not that he can't produce what was expected. . .he's gone so far beyond that already.

blanston12
May 31st, 2017, 22:09
There is always so much more going on behind the scenes that the casual lurker can get by just reading the posts in the threads, and I am pretty sure my initial conclusions were wrong.

You see so many projects where someone gets started, posts a series of WIP pictures over time that look amazing and then suddenly, nothing, you never get to know what happened.

roger-wilco-66
May 31st, 2017, 23:30
I'm working on the virtual cockpit of the C-7a Caribou in the moment - this is my first aircraft project. I'm not new to 3d design and can handle 3ds max pretty well, but researching all the components, designing them, animating them, trexturing them and, on top of that, coding all the functions is an extremely laborious task. I'm in awe of anyone who does that kind if work. Expecially those who have a daytime job and family or otherwise limited time on their hands are know that creating something like that can take years. And sometimes, when real life takes over, you need a break from all that. Another issue is external or self induced pressure. Some can handle it more or less well, some burn out.

In regard to the C-119 project, I am sure that it is exactly where it should be, considering all the possible circumstances.

Cheers to the devs,
Mark

Penzoil3
June 1st, 2017, 00:53
Kidnap the coder! Lock them in a room with the computer until it's done !
Not really, but would sure love to see this published 1
Sue

hairyspin
June 1st, 2017, 01:49
... Expecially those who have a daytime job and family or otherwise limited time on their hands are know that creating something like that can take years...

You're not kidding. It'll be done when it's done.

Sphinx_58
June 1st, 2017, 01:57
For those who were unable to find it, here is the link to the original thread:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php/97434-Call-for-research-material-(Fairchild-C119G-Boxcar)?highlight=brussels