PDA

View Full Version : Renaming ships and planes ........

Fibber
May 26th, 2017, 05:29
Have had a severe bout with CRS lately concerning the game structure and , of course, can't find my notes. Hate it when you reorganize and file clean then can't find a bloody thing!!!!:banghead:
Anyway, trying to remember, when renaming ships and planes what names have to be exactly the same? Is it
1)the name of the object, as it appears in the game, and the first line in the .CFG (title)that have to be exactly the same? They can be any name as long as they are in agreement?
2) the second line (sim) and the .dp, air, and names in the model file that have to be the same?
3) have some that have the "sim" line and .dp and air similar but names in the Model file are different. Is that correct?
Hate to have to post this but my Korea set-up has a case of the "hide and seeks" lately as some times it will start and other times it will only get to the start screen then :pop4: No error file shows in the game folder. Really infuriating and started from scratch with clean install!! Then the CRS hits...

Allen
May 26th, 2017, 07:23
For ship I have found best to rename the title= and sim= in the ship.cfg AND model= in the model.cfg all the same name.

Captain Kurt
May 26th, 2017, 10:48
Hi Fibber

It's a little more than that.

In missions and campaigns, the airplane is called up by the aircraft folder name, not the aircraft.cfg file name.

In Free Flight, the airplane is called up by the aircraft.cfg title = the first line in the .cfg file

The second line in the .cfg file is the sim= and the dp and air file names in the folder must match the name in this line.

All three can be different names - for example:
1. a folder could be named Curtiss P-40E 7th FS
2. the cfg title= named P-40E 7th FS 49th FG
3. the sim= named P40E and the dp and air file also named P40E

For simplicity sake in campaigns and missions, just make sure the folder name matches what the mission file is looking for.

IF the plane still does not load (and you have good sound and panel folders in the aircraft folder), make sure the #3 sim name and the dp and air files have the same names.

For organization and to keep track, you may want to do as Allen suggests and match all the names, but again that isn't necessary for missions and campaigns to work.

Hope that helps

Fibber
May 27th, 2017, 06:24
:wavey: Thanks guys for your replies and helping to refresh my brain. :encouragement:Guess real life side tracked my thought process and hence the CRS attack re: the game. Thanks again!!!
Remember the fallen this week-end as you have that cookout (or in if it rains!).

Worthless
May 27th, 2017, 15:45
This a great help. Adding it to my Tips archive.