PDA

View Full Version : sound setting question

dc10boy
May 23rd, 2017, 13:48
Hi All, I'm compiling a quick list of recommended settings for all my aircraft , but I'm missing the Visser C-47, AF Corsair, Aerosoft Catalina and the Vertigo Hellcat as well as the FSD P-38/
Does anyone know what the recommended Eng/ENV/ Cockpit settings are for these birds? The Manuals don't seem to cover it.
Stan

p14u2nv
May 23rd, 2017, 21:45
Stan I would think that is more of an individual and more personal setting. Unless of course you can find an actual pilot for each aircraft to help you determine sound levels, or you can catch an actual ride. I know, not much help...

Perhaps you can locate videos of each aircraft to help determine what these values are or might be.

BendyFlyer
May 23rd, 2017, 22:56
I know this may not answer the question but after much research it seems P14u2nv is basically correct. However the following may help.

FSX Default all sound sliders at 50% and most model makers basically stick with that for example, PMDG recommends all sound sliders at 50%.
A2A's Accusim allows you to moderate the sounds to basically make them sharper or softer, thus unpressurised cabin v pressurised cabin and you can accentuate or tune down other sounds, such as brakes, tire squeal etc.

The sound packages for all sim models vary in quality but at the end of the day are synthesised set of wav files, being repeated in a loop, the better quality those files are the better quality the sound.

Your sound card will also change how you hear things, for example my sound card has numerous functions to change the sound dependent on environment, sound dynamics and sound type, if you have this set up one way for example, live music or conversation or classical levels, which may be great for music or bad for a radio talk show, you will find what you hear in the sim changes as well because the sound card is changing the sound as well. It is the devils job to match this with engine sounds so I reset it to basically generic and no dynamics for the sim, essentially again it is changing the frequencies so it either enhances high sounds or low sounds or mid range sounds etc.

The aircraft you were looking for were all very noisy in real life and I mean noisy, the engine noise could be close to deafening and the airflow noise on the cabin could be significant as well. Where you are in the aircraft will also change your perception of the sound, for example up front of a modern jet such as a BAE 146 (very quiet) you could barely hear the engines when they were running but the flap extension and retraction phase made a hell of a racket due to the airflow changes and disturbance but it engine noise or sounds were more noticeable in the cabin. The other thing to bear in mind is all pilots wore a headset of some sort and in military aircraft a helmet so the sound to the pilot would be a lot less due to the soundproofing of the headset over the ears than just raw sound. To give you an example those really cool one ear piece light stick boom headsets you see on jet transport pilots (not all) were completely hopeless in a noisy piston engine aeroplane because you could not hear a thing and most of those systems all have what are called noise cancelling microphones to minimise the feed back of air and engine noise with radio or spoken transmissions.

My personal settings are for piston engines I increase the engine noise to 75%, the cockpit sound to 75% and I leave environment and voice at 50%, If I switch to a jet then I move all the FSX sound settings back to 50%. I also use ACCUSIM to tweak the sounds for each type and accentuate some sounds which also modifies how they sound. Lastly I am a retired pilot and my hearing is buggered I have what is called industrial deafness, all professional pilots end up with damaged hearing over time, so that gives you some idea how a lot of sound can be loud but after awhile you get used to it but your ears don't and they become damaged.

I guess you will have to experiment but in the types you have listed a quiet conversation was not possible but you did not have to shout either but the engine noise was ferocious on takeoff and at high power and while less at speed or in the cruise the airflow hiss or noise increased, the messier the airframe the worse it was.

PhantomTweak
May 24th, 2017, 11:19
and in military aircraft a helmet so the sound to the pilot would be a lot less due to the soundproofing of the headset over the ears than just raw sound.

Just a brief note, if I may: Speaking from experience working on and around military birds, both on the flightline and off, most of the pilots I saw either putting their helmet on as they got ready for flight, or taking it off afterwards, not only had the "soundproofing" from their helmet, but almost invariably wore foamies under it. Some had "custom" plugs they wore under their helmet, but most I saw just used the ubiquitous foamies. They were free, and available in dispenser boxes all over the place. In the ready room, in the flightline shack, in every shop, in several places around the hangars, you name it.
Point being, I'm guessing the helmet's ear pieces weren't all that effective, and many military birds were noisy with just the engines running. I know that when we took a bird to run-up, whether high-power or not, everyone wore foamies and the Micky-Mouse headsets. Same with the flightdeck of the boats. Everyone that went out on the flight deck, or the hangar deck, would wear foamies and headsets, whether Micky-Mouse or the integral ones in the cranials. Even during a FOD walk.
Even when I was working the Rifle/ Pistol ranges as a coach. I kind of "absconded" with a Micky-Mouse headset from my avionics shop before I left. Worked great. We used both foamies and headsets running up our radar systems. Noisey buggers...

Sorry, I ramble. In any event, the military is noisey, so for realism, you need to max out the noise in the cockpit. ALL the noise :D

Have fun all!
Pat☺

BendyFlyer
May 24th, 2017, 16:33
Ah the dreaded 'foamie', used them all the time but hated them, have those stuffed in your ears for hours upon hours and they irritated the crap out of your ears. Way it was. Still ended up with buggered ears.