PDA

View Full Version : Mark Forum Read

blanston12
May 23rd, 2017, 08:18
Hi, I have a question about this forum and not sure where else to post it.

I have started coming to this forum more frequently recently and noticed that every time I read all the un-read posts in a forum section, the forum itself is still marked as having un-read posts, you have to go into forum-tools and select 'Mark This Forum Read' for the icon on for the forum to clear. Just wondered if this is a bug in the current version of forum software we are using or if I am doing something wrong.

Thanks for your attention.

DaveB
May 23rd, 2017, 09:17
I have this problem too Joe. In addition, if I'm in say, FSX and I click on 'mark topics read' then navigate to FORUMS and HOMEPAGE then depart.. when I come back, the FSX forums will have the same topics showing as unread again. IF, however, having read everything in FSX I then go to FORUMS and click 'mark topics read' (could be 'mark forums read').. they stay read. Selecting mark topics read from within a forum doesn't kill em off for me. Only when I hit the button near the end of the page on FORUMS do they go and stay gone. I've reported this before but some while back.

ATB
DaveB:)

AussieMan
May 23rd, 2017, 15:00
Look in the top right corner and you will se a drop down menu called "Forum Tools", click on that and then click on mark forum as read. Also at the bottom of the forum index there is a button marked "Mark All Forums Read".

DaveB
May 23rd, 2017, 15:23
You've not read the posts have you Pat:biggrin-new:

We're aware of both radio buttons. The problem is, the 'mark topics read' IN a particular forum doesn't work. It will mark topics read for sure but if you go elsewhere and/or close the browser, coming back to SoH sees these posts unread again.. UNLESS you hit the mark all forums read. Basically, mark all topics read in the forums doesn't work. Well, it does but only for that session.

ATB
DaveB:)

blanston12
May 23rd, 2017, 15:45
Look in the top right corner and you will se a drop down menu called "Forum Tools", click on that and then click on mark forum as read. Also at the bottom of the forum index there is a button marked "Mark All Forums Read".

My issues was not that those don't work, they do, and I was already aware of both. But in most forums, you use those buttons to mark the forum and all the threads as read when you have not actually read them all yet. My issues is that I have read everything already, all topics are marked as read, but the forum is marked as unread until I push the extra button.

Tom Clayton
May 25th, 2017, 14:16
I use IE 11, and I see that sometimes. It's almost as if spending too little time on the board makes it think you haven't read what you read. I can tell you a couple of things...

If you're reading what you know to be the last unread thread, and then go straight back to the main menu, the board will still show the single forum as having unread posts. Going back to the topic page and seeing all read posts and then going back to the menu page will show it as read.

Also, if you're on the main menu and you know that a forum is fully read or that you're just not interested in reading whatever's left, double-click the red icon and it will go grey and mark that board read.

The last thing I do, and this seems to work permanently, is before leaving for another site, I scroll to the bottom of the main menu and click the "Mark Forums Read" link at the bottom. There's also a version of that link at the top of every page under Forum Actions.

On the flip side to all of this, if I log in, but then get called away from the 'puter for something, taking too long to return will cause everything to reset to "read" status.