PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 logon screen

gray eagle
May 22nd, 2017, 18:39
I didn't see any windows 7 forums here so I guess this may be the best place to try to get some help.

I use Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit and as of late the logon screen comes on and (no password assigned) I then have to click on the icon and it will continue on to the desktop.
I don't know why this happened after all these years but now I have an extra screen (logon screen) to contend with before the desktop screen opens.

I have tried netwlpiz and that didn't work. I reverted to an older restore point and that worked for one or two boot session then the logon screen would come back.
https://www.top-password.com/blog/tag/bypass-windows-7-logon-screen/

I don't have any password assigned to logon so it normally goes straight to the desktop.
Interested in anyway that logon screen could be bypassed.

Thanks in advance.

Ganter
May 22nd, 2017, 23:09
That happens if an additional user account has been created - such as GUEST, etc,
It could also point to suspicious activity so give your system a damn good scanning, etc.

Here's some info about the various login options for 7.

https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/377-log-automatically-startup.html

Hope this is useful,

Jim

gray eagle
May 24th, 2017, 03:44
I read that link you provided and to no avail does any of their suggestions mitigate the bypass logon screen issue. Through my serendipitous F8 reboot screen, and selection of reboot using the "last known
good configuration (advanced)" that I was able to boot straight to the desktop avoiding the long on screen.

I tried to do a system rollback to an earlier time and that results in a temp fix then soon the logon screen comes back on. Those other tricks mentions in your link, I have tried and they all result in zip, zero, nada.

Malwarebytes (premium) and avast checks report in with no cooties.

Ganter
May 24th, 2017, 09:49
I read that link you provided and to no avail does any of their suggestions mitigate the bypass logon screen issue. Through my serendipitous F8 reboot screen, and selection of reboot using the "last known
good configuration (advanced)" that I was able to boot straight to the desktop avoiding the long on screen.

I tried to do a system rollback to an earlier time and that results in a temp fix then soon the logon screen comes back on. Those other tricks mentions in your link, I have tried and they all result in zip, zero, nada.

Malwarebytes (premium) and avast checks report in with no cooties.

Umm, sorry, that's where my knowledge runs out.
Did you try the Registry edits in the second part of the article? I'd do those IMMEDIATELY after the rollback.
If that doesn't do it you'll have to wait until someone more knowledgeable than I wanders along.

Good luck! - I know how irritating these things can be!

Jim

aeromed202
May 26th, 2017, 03:35
All I can add is to do a thorough scan set while in Safe Mode. It sure sounds like something that re-installs if it's been irritated by a removal attempt and most times running scans in Safe Mode will get the bugger. Also try to think of any recent programs you installed about when the problem started and uninstall those one at a time to see if the problem resolves. Good luck.

gray eagle
May 26th, 2017, 08:04
I might make mention that a few days before all this happened, when I first booted my rig, the chkdsk message came up and it did a chkdsk scan. It might well be a coincidence.

Don't remember if it found any probs. I subsequently ran it again with no issues.

My son is coming over this weekend to see if he can do something with it. He is the computer science undergrad and so hopefully, he will try to alleviate the situation.

http://www.windows-help-central.com/image-files/windows-7-chkdsk-8.jpg

Ganter
May 26th, 2017, 11:07
Always get the experts in if you can - hope your son sorts it out.

Ask me anything about flying a nasty, rainy, night VTOL Op in a Harrier AV-8B off the deck of Invincible (simulated) - but computers? stumped :wavey:

gray eagle
May 28th, 2017, 11:59
Did another chhdsk and this time it found a cluster that was messed up (and repaired it) and I guess it fixed it.
Windows\system\system32\winevt\logs\securu~1.evt.

If that chkdsk event comes on again when I do a first boot, then I may just consider replacing the HD.

But for now, it boots straight to the desktop.

Ganter
May 28th, 2017, 14:52
In my humble opinion/ experience; CHKDSK errors that start appearing are symptomatic of a physical spinning Hard Drive about to go seriously SOUTH. Is it - by any chance a Seagate Barracuda?
That would also fit with the BOOT SECTOR becoming corrupted and messing up LOGON protocols - which you've been having.

Back up everything you can immediately. You have about another 10 Startups/ Shutdowns before it breaks and gives you the horrible screen saying simply:

"Operating system not found"

(Ask me how I know - some of the foulest language I have ever used in my entire life has been on being greeted with that message and the subsequent investigation of the corrupted and thus irretrievably lost HDD data)

PhantomTweak
May 28th, 2017, 22:49
In my humble opinion/ experience; CHKDSK errors that start appearing are symptomatic of a physical spinning Hard Drive about to go seriously SOUTH. Is it - by any chance a Seagate Barracuda?
That would also fit with the BOOT SECTOR becoming corrupted and messing up LOGON protocols - which you've been having.

Back up everything you can immediately. You have about another 10 Startups/ Shutdowns before it breaks and gives you the horrible screen saying simply:

"Operating system not found"

(Ask me how I know - some of the foulest language I have ever used in my entire life has been on being greeted with that message and the subsequent investigation of the corrupted and thus irretrievably lost HDD data)
I have to agree, Ganter. I've seen CHKDSK find corrupted sectors like that, just about the time the HD starts making scritching-scratching noises and abrutly quits spinning bacause the heads landed on the platter. While it's spinning. Not a good thing. You ever taken a HD apart after that and looked at the platter? There's invariably big gouges out of the medium caused by the heads hitting it while it's at speed. Not a good look.
Having said that, I've found that computer tend to fail on start-up. Not invariably, but often. I may even go so far as to say "usually". One way to help extend it's life-span, in my experience as the "IT" guy for our Aerostat site, is to never turn it off. It's not foolproof, but sometimes it can help. Once it's starts down the path to the dark side, though...
As to the foul language, Ganter, I have to say it was the same for me, although when I got nailed by a Little Old Lady on my motorcycle, I definatly used some choice words. Some even in languages I thought I'd forgotten. Amazing how foul Tagalog sounds when shouted at the top of your lungs...

Grey Eagle, I'm with Ganter. Back-up everything you can, even if you have to go buy a new one to put things on. Your HD is probably on the way out. Not for a certainty, but probably. The more you can rescue now, well...

Good luck to ya!
Pat☺

gray eagle
May 29th, 2017, 05:06
[QUOTE=Ganter;1084786] Is it - by any chance a Seagate Barracuda?
/QUOTE]

Nope,

Drive Model: ST1000NM0011 (931 GB)

Seagate ("seabass") :adoration:

https://www.cnet.com/products/seagate-constellation-es-st1000nm0011-hard-drive-1-tb-sata-6gb-s/specs/

power on hours = 727 days 7 hours
https://s1.postimg.org/rc2deqd1r/seabass.jpg

(https://www.cnet.com/products/seagate-constellation-es-st1000nm0011-hard-drive-1-tb-sata-6gb-s/specs/)

gray eagle
May 29th, 2017, 09:05
Should get it in couple of days and installed next weekend. Early Fathers day present. :adoration:
In the meantime, I did a backup of my browser and email profiles
Like my son said, there is NO guarantee that any drive will last for any amount of time; any and all hard drives can fail at any time so I can't guarantee this or any drive will last for any set amount of time. They're all like spinning grenades. buyer beware!

https://www.amazon.com/Black-Performance-Desktop-Hard-Drive/dp/B00FJRS6FU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1496077276&sr=8-1&keywords=WD+Black+1TB+Performance+Desktop+Hard+Dis k+Drive+-+7200+RPM+SATA+6+Gb%2Fs+64MB+Cache+3.5+Inch+-+WD1003FZEX

Ganter
May 29th, 2017, 09:47
Good old Seagate!

gray eagle - I would definitely recommend you get a SSD - solid state drive instead of an HDD - if your system specs will support it.

The reliability is good these days - provided you get a decent branded one. You might lose a little storage capacity for the same price as an HDD but you'll see a performance increase in the sim as well as general performance increase file Read/ Write speeds.

And, no moving parts = no spinning grenade! :jump:

gray eagle
May 29th, 2017, 10:06
An HDD might be the right choice if:

You need lots of storage capacity, up to 10TB
Don’t want to spend much money >>>> that's me
Don’t care too much about how fast a computer boots up or opens programs - then get a hard drive (HDD). >>> me again

An SSD might be the right choice if:

You are willing to pay for faster performance
Don’t mind limited storage capacity or can work around that (though consumer SSD now go up to 4TB and enterprise run as high as 60TB)

gray eagle
May 29th, 2017, 10:19
WD Black series is designed to give an overall boost for heavier computing tasks, while offering a good cost per TB. It is an ideal internal storage solution for power consumers looking for the highest possible performance from the market’s current hard disk drive technology as well as those looking for an alternative to the more expensive hybrid drives.

gray eagle
May 29th, 2017, 10:21
I don't know what's up with this thread, but when I try to edit my post I get a new blank slate and I don't see what I previously typed. :dizzy:

Ganter
May 29th, 2017, 10:21
A SSD would be an upgrade as suppose to a swap out replacement - so, nice, but not necessary.

The HDD you've ordered looks fit for purpose and more than up to the job. I've never had problems with WD.

Hope all goes well with the swap out. :encouragement:

jandjfrench
June 1st, 2017, 14:41
Hi Gray,
For me going from an ssd To an HD would be analogous to going back to dial-up. If I never turned off my computer or never used a flight simulator it wouldn't be much of a problem.
If your current drive has a protected sector containing a copy of your OS this could be an important consideration. No difference for either an HD or SSD. I have no knowledge or recommendations as to how to handle this but I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who has.
Jim F.

gray eagle
June 5th, 2017, 10:44
My son came over yesterday to clone my current HDD to a new one using Clonezilla, It managed to create the partitions but due to some bad sectors on my current HD, the cloning was unsuccessful.
Now the plan is to either heal (if possible) those bad sectors or clone around them. If it weren't for the bad sectors, the clone session would of been successful.

I read on a Clonezilla forum that it can do that but there are some manual commands with switch settings that have to be entered.

Have to wait till next Sunday when he is off work to get at it.