PDA

View Full Version : Can't find the folders

greenie
May 20th, 2017, 20:07
I can't find the sim's File folders location.
Right click desktop icon doesn't give me the option to find it. I've looked through C/.program files and (x86). Flicked through the AppData folders. Zilch.
Might need new glasses ! Any ideas folks ?

Bradburger
May 20th, 2017, 20:20
The main FSW folder (simobjects. effects, sound folders etc.) are where you specified the install to go.

In my case, it was C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FSW.

The scenery library files are located in C:\ProgramData\Dovetail Games\FSW.

And the config files (FSW.cfg, DLL.cfg etc), are in C:\Users\Paul\AppData\Roaming\Dovetail Games.

Cheers

Paul

greenie
May 21st, 2017, 03:41
Thank you Paul,
Haven't checked it out yet . I actually don't remember pointing the sim to any particular location . We'll have another look

Cheers ..Alan

hschuit
May 21st, 2017, 03:59
Thank you Paul,
Haven't checked it out yet . I actually don't remember pointing the sim to any particular location . We'll have another look

Cheers ..Alan

The main FSW installation folder is controlled by Steam. If you do nothing, FSW will install in the default location which is mentioned by Paul. If you want to install somewhere else you need to create an additional Steam Library folder, e.g. on a different drive. Choices are quite limited as Steam dictates a fixed set of subfolders ( <Drive:>\Steam\SteamApps\Common\ ).

greenie
May 22nd, 2017, 03:55
...hmm interesting . My main folder is not at C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FSW. When I enter \steamapps all I have is folder "sourcemods" and "libraryfolders.vdf" file.

C:\Users\......\AppData\Roaming\Dovetail Games...gives me the folders - Contols, MissionStats , Simobjects and Substitution. A bit surprised to find simobjects all by itself without the usual fsx layout of effects , sound etc.

X86 has only Steam and Steamapps with none of the usual fsx type folders in it

As Paul said ProgramData\Dovetail Games\FSW. has the scenery files in it.

Well, I have been for a fly so things are there ! Its a mystery ...sigh
Thanks both

IanP
May 22nd, 2017, 04:03
Slightly silly question, but do Steam don't make the folders hidden, do they? I make hidden and system files visible in Explorer as soon as I install Windows, so have never thought to look!

Steamapps is the root folder for anything and everything installed through Steam... So for example I have C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steamapps, D:\SteamLibrary\Steamapps and E:\SteamLibrary - TS\Steamapps on my main PC.

Ian P.

greenie
May 22nd, 2017, 18:30
Silly questions allowed Ian. I felt stoopid asking this one

....I do unhide (?!) my folders but not the system folders, which i have just unhided (?!)

Success ! not sure if it had anything to do with not hiding folders but I never noticed it before - its in an odd place ( apparently) G/:STEAM flight Schl/steamapps/common/ FSW/....all the usual fsx folders.

Thanks folks now I can go ahead and mess up my sim :)
Cheers