PDA

View Full Version : old 'Piglet' airplanes

Switchblade408
May 11th, 2017, 11:17
I've been looking at a couple of the old Tim Conrad models from the FS2004 days, particularly the Northrop N-9MB flying wing and the Helio Courier. They don't work properly in FSX due to gauge issues. I was wondering if it was possible to have these modified to work in FSX. I'm not any good at modifying files, so I would need to be walked through the process. Is there anyone here who can assist?

mazdarodi
May 11th, 2017, 11:58
I am sure, if it is possible to make them work for FSX, someone here knows how... very many talented people on SOH. Not sure if your gauge issue is with the model or if it could be fixed with a panel program like FS Panel Studio. I don't have that program yet, and have yet to mess with panels, but with a full size fsx cockpit build ongoing, it is coming.

My questions are this; #1 - Do you need the original files in order to make an older FS2004 model into FSX native format, and #2 - if you could de-hack the plane at the modeling level, do you need Tim Conrad's permission to do so? Which would be hard since Piglet (Tim Conrad) has gone quiet for many years, and I don't know if anyone here is in contact with him. So I don't know if that can be done. #3 - I think I tried the Helio Courier once and had a "squashed view" altered view format, which is from something they did in FS2004 that differs the perspective with the FSX aircraft, so even if someone can fix the gauge issues, can it be done for that aircraft in FSX? I know I got the same issue when I tried putting David Copley's XP-38 on fsx some years ago. But someone knows how, as one of his P-38 models were uploaded to Simviation without that issue, however that model had, I think two altimeters where one of them replaced another instrument, and it irritated the hell out of me. Once I buy FS Panel Studio, I may try my hand at fixing some old forgotten planes for Flight Simulator, and making some panels that people would really appreciate, that is to whatever limit that program can do. Should be interesting.

If Piglet was active on here, I would have messaged him long ago just to compliment him on some of his amazing aircraft. As a humble real world pilot cessna pilot, I have to say many of his planes have a "real" feel to them, acting like they really are up in the air. Many of them have unique handling qualities, and a couple of his WWII Japanese aircraft have a real "live wire" attitude and have no margin for error, which I found very enjoyably challenging. Where ever you are Tim, many of us love your work, and are still enjoying it, so thanks!

Bookman1960
May 11th, 2017, 12:07
For what its worth...and you may already be doing this but...

I have imported and updated hundreds of older FS2K2 and FS9 acft (and ships) into FSX succesfully and I find the easiest thing to first do is simple replace the Sound and Panel folders with blanks.

I rename the old folder thus: \Panel_ and \Sound_

Then I created a new set of \Sound and \Panel and place blank text files in each to match standard FS cfg's -- for instance panel.cfg and sound.cfg

Thus I can view and check any plane without crashes.

Then once I have confirmed that the model works (and after editing .air file, prop textures etc...) I then match up an appropriate panel to the new acft.

BTW, I have taken dozens of panel and sound folders from my favorite acft and placed them \FSFSConv folder (like FS9 always had) and reference to them in my converted models.

Just my thoughts on ways to enjoy older models in FSX.

PS: I also have successfully used simple hex editing trick to import many very lovely CFS2 models into FSX as well.

Bookman

Blackbird686
May 11th, 2017, 12:49
Sounds like Bookman has a good routine for that.

I completely re-did one of Tim's FS9 planes, the OV-10A "Bronco" with all new XML gauges to replace the older .gau versions. Some of the older gauges did work, some didn't so I just re-did the whole bit. Placing them was a bit of a chore at times, some fit exactly where the older gauge was on the panel and some had to be moved around to make them fit. It took me a little over 2 months to get it just the way I liked it but it was worth it. Prolly never do it that way again. :dizzy:

BB686:US-flag:

Willy
May 11th, 2017, 15:59
Before the FSX native version came out, I'd ported over his T-33 using the AlphaSim F-84 gauges. Pretty good matchup.

FS Panel Studio is money well spent.

michaelvader
May 12th, 2017, 10:01
Hallo friends,

I recently published two different panels for the Bronco (the military versions A and D are in work)
they have been done to work in FS2004. But perhaps some one did try or use then in FSX???
If yes would be interesting to know if they work in FSX or if there are problems.
These would be an an alternative to the original 2d panels if they work in FSX for the Bronco.
Yours
Papi

awstub
May 12th, 2017, 13:58
Hi Papi,

Where did you upload them to?

Hallo friends,

I recently published two different panels for the Bronco (the military versions A and D are in work)
they have been done to work in FS2004. But perhaps some one did try or use then in FSX???
If yes would be interesting to know if they work in FSX or if there are problems.
These would be an an alternative to the original 2d panels if they work in FSX for the Bronco.
Yours
Papi

glh
May 12th, 2017, 15:39
For what its worth...and you may already be doing this but...

------------------ deleted, GLH

PS: I also have successfully used simple hex editing trick to import many very lovely CFS2 models into FSX as well.

Bookman
================================================== ======================
Bookman;

Would you mind elaborating on software and your methodology technique to do this ?? I have a few CFS2 models I would like to get flying in FSX. Allen's recent F-94B would be an example.

Thanks in advance.

michaelvader
May 13th, 2017, 04:38
Hallo Friends

I published them here and at flightsim.com

for the CDF variant > ov-10a_2d_panel.zip <

for the Bronco Demo Team > ov-10b_bdt_2d_panel.zip <

For me it would be interesting if some one who tried it out if there have been problems and if it has been tested in FSX

Yours
Papi