PDA

View Full Version : Which aircraft do you miss the most from FS9?

vortex
May 8th, 2017, 11:47
Whilst clearing out a cupboard, I was looking through my old add-ons for FS9. Yes, I'm a hoarder - you never know when they'll come in handy again! The one aircraft I really miss the most in FSX is the Pilot's "Boeing B314 - The Clipper". Although the aircraft model was beautiful (if a bit too shiny in FS9, having been originally made for FS 2002), the VC looked a little basic and 2D. However, the programming of the gyro pilot and the engineer's panel made up for the cockpit graphics. It even came with a full set of period flying boat bases so you could fly the original routes. It really gave you a sense of the romance of that era of flying. I had heard that someone was trying to get it working in FSX but I don't know what success they had.

Is there anything you miss from FS9?

ian elliot
May 8th, 2017, 22:07
I'll go with Yan Tao's Mig 19, still a very nice external model thats still flyable, but obviously no VC :wavey:

wombat666
May 9th, 2017, 00:15
Bill Lyons Luscombe Silvaire was always a favorite daily flyer for my low and slow expeditions.
Be nice to have a 'new' one for FSX and P3D.
:encouragement:

Manschy
May 9th, 2017, 01:03
The Westland Lynx :sorrow: and the Westland Wessex. Both aviable as port overs from Alphasim / Simshed, but unfortunately with hard restrictions (rotor issues).

DaveB
May 9th, 2017, 01:10
That's not a bad choice Manfred. I think if there are any models I'd like to see in FSX, it would be either of those two (or both). I don't do the same sort of flying in FSX as I did in FS9 otherwise my list could be a lot longer:biggrin-new:
ATB
DaveB:)

Daube
May 9th, 2017, 01:37
Bill Lyons Luscombe Silvaire was always a favorite daily flyer for my low and slow expeditions.

Isn't that plane available in native FSX format already ? (direct conversion of the FS9 model)
I think I've been using it a couple of times in the past.

EDIT: here are the pictures I took at the time. Is it the aircraft you were mentioning ?

Moses03
May 9th, 2017, 03:49
I would say the Calclassic propliners (Convair CV-240, Douglas DC-6/7 etc) but I still have FS9 installed and use it along with FSX.

FS9 to me is like a pair of old comfy slippers. It's there when you need it.:adoration:

vortex
May 9th, 2017, 09:28

I was also a big fan of Bill Lyons. As a flying boat enthusiast, I particularly liked his Golden Hawaii package - Sikorsky S-43, Kellet autogyro, period airfields (including Pearl Harbour), a landable WWII carrier and plenty of adventure files! His Classic Goose package was also very good (especially if you ever watched "Tales of the Gold Monkey" on TV).

PhantomTweak
May 9th, 2017, 10:39
I still have FS9 installed too, and that Tales of the Gold Monkey package is one of my all time favorites. The old flying boat, with the routes and airports that has been mentioned, is a very enjoyable experience, too, though. The scenery from back then, and the pane's cabins, are a peek at the Golden Age of flying, when folks wore good suits to fly, there was real food, served on real plates, with real silverware, and smoking aboard the flight was the norm. Too bad nowadays the plane's are cattle cars, no food, no nice clothes any longer, you name it. I would call these days the leaden age of flying...

I have to say, though, that for me, FSX:SE with the FSDT F/A-18C v16.1, is the cat's meow. I couple that fantastic aircraft with the Nimitz v2 carrier package, AICarriers (the .NET version), vLSO (those ai LSO's hate me, I swear!), and some "interesting" weather, and I can spend hours and hours doing CQ's. I'll probably even get it right some day!

Whatever you fly, have fun with it, is my motto :D
Pat☺

Craig Taylor
May 9th, 2017, 12:27
I miss the Dreamfleet 727. Excellent systems reproduction, and a fidelity to the different variants that just hasn't been replicated to the same degree in currently available products, at least in my opinion.

gradyhappyg
May 9th, 2017, 13:43
The Maule M-7 6 Pack by I forget it's been so long and the default amphib Caravan. Used both of these in FSX till the acceleration update then problems.

Bomber_12th
May 9th, 2017, 13:56

Wombat, an FSX-native version of Bill Lyons' Luscombe Silvaire can be found/downloaded here: https://www.classicwings.net/aircraft--l-

Bjoern
May 9th, 2017, 14:09
I miss the Dreamfleet 727. Excellent systems reproduction, and a fidelity to the different variants that just hasn't been replicated to the same degree in currently available products, at least in my opinion.

All I have for a good 727 in FSX is something built on Tom's freeware 727 models. There are limitations to the virtual cockpit model and, of course, the simulator, but I've used a FCOM to implement as much of underlying logic of the real bird as I can. It has custom FDEs for most engine variants and most weight configurations, engine limitations and shenanigans like realistic startup, hot and hung starts, something akin to APR on the -17R, a load manager, automated v-speed bugs and F/O callouts and while the switch sounds aren't realistic, at least the trim clacker sound is.

The problem is that requires an awful lot of time to install and setup which is covered in 15+ pages in what exists of the manual, that the manual itself is incomplete (there's custom checklists though) and that it absolutely requires Tom's model, regardless of what one thinks about its VC textures. No Captain Sim and no TDS exterior model.

I can wrap up what's present and upload it, but there's gonna be one catch: No questions that can be answered by reading (what's present of) the manual are allowed.

AusWilko
May 9th, 2017, 14:28
I miss the freeware interactive 737, it had a voice checklist that followed your steps through, at the end of shutdown he said something along the lines of lets get out of the straps and have a cold beer, flew that thing heaps and to my shame I can't remember the author, lost it 2 computers ago.

Willy
May 9th, 2017, 17:10
Bill Lyons' Sikorsky S43 from Golden Hawaii. The George Diemer one ported over works well in FSX, but I always liked the looks of Bill's better. Especially when flying it in Golden Wings using the Gold Monkey scenery.

tommieboy
May 9th, 2017, 19:44
WOP P-47D bubbletop, which included the XP-72 too.....

Tommy

kiki
May 9th, 2017, 19:55
I would say the Calclassic propliners (Convair CV-240, Douglas DC-6/7 etc)

I also miss them and also planes of Project Fokker.

dhasdell
May 10th, 2017, 02:22
Wombat, an FSX-native version of Bill Lyons' Luscombe Silvaire can be found/downloaded here: https://www.classicwings.net/aircraft--l-

Thanks for that, John. I downloaded it out of curiosity and it's not half bad - a lot of different colour schemes, several floatplane versions, reflections in the gauges, an animated passenger and that old Bill Lyons touch - a dangling ignition key. I can recommend it.

Bushpounder
May 10th, 2017, 03:40
Two - Volpar Beech 18 and Norseman

Don

IanHenry
May 10th, 2017, 04:15
JustFlight/Aeroplane Heaven Lancaster, that was a great model.

Ian

Willy
May 10th, 2017, 04:55
The AH Seafires work well in FSX. The Lanc might too.

Bjoern
May 10th, 2017, 06:29
I miss the freeware interactive 737, it had a voice checklist that followed your steps through, at the end of shutdown he said something along the lines of lets get out of the straps and have a cold beer, flew that thing heaps and to my shame I can't remember the author, lost it 2 computers ago.

Sounds like the Air Scheffel 737.

IanHenry
May 10th, 2017, 07:52
The AH Seafires work well in FSX. The Lanc might too.

Thanks for that info Willy, I'll dig out the DVD and give it a try.

Ian

BoeingvsAirbusNKL
May 10th, 2017, 08:24
For default fs2004 aircraft... I would say the Cessna 182S.
Speaking of the Cessna 182S... A.F. Scrub released a FSX native version of the aforementioned plane.

Craig Taylor
May 10th, 2017, 10:23
I can wrap up what's present and upload it, but there's gonna be one catch: No questions that can be answered by reading (what's present of) the manual are allowed.

That sounds like an awful lot to take on, Bjoern, but I appreciate the offer.

Ferry_vO
May 10th, 2017, 11:08
The Aerosoft Do-27, which was a very advanced model for its time. The Flying Stations Canberras, and the Lionheart Junkers W33 would be great candidates for an FsX upgrade in my book.

Bjoern
May 10th, 2017, 13:01
That sounds like an awful lot to take on, Bjoern, but I appreciate the offer.

It is.

Next to the base pack, I have eight or ten different aircraft folders for a few common 727 configurations. Each repaint I've installed was checked against the real aircraft in terms of features (hush kits, nose brakes, engine model, avionics and weights, etc...) and put into its own aircraft folder, if necessary. In each aircraft folder, with the exception of the repaint specific textures, everything else links back to the base folder where the actual model, panel, sound, etc...files reside. [Fltsim.x] entries for a repaint have to be changed or amended in places or the paint won't work. Ditto for the texture.cfg. Do not use the one from the repaint. If a new 727 variation is required, a new model folder has to be built from the config file repository in the base folder and the appropriate aircraft.cfg template has to be adapted to the new variation before the associated repaint can be installed.
It is comparatively exhausting to set up and maintain, even for me (not gonna lie), but it's the only way to avoid wasting hard drive space while providing as many realistic 727 configurations as possible. It will at least allow you to have National's/Pan Am's anemic -7A powered -200 models coexist with some later -200 series freighter conversions with uprated MTOW and newer engines like the -15 or -17AR.
There is, of course, the possibility of a "ready to go" package with Tom's default paints, but I figure that the long winded, steep road is much better in teaching users the intricacies of configuring and maintaining their 727 variations.

But once you're past that, everything in the simulator is business as usual.

thefrog
May 10th, 2017, 13:41
The Aerosoft Do-27, which was a very advanced model for its time. The Flying Stations Canberras, and the Lionheart Junkers W33 would be great candidates for an FsX upgrade in my book.
Actually I still fly the FSX version of the DO-27 (in P3D) after one or two tweaks to the glass. It's one of my favorite aircraft.

Brian_Gladden
May 10th, 2017, 14:12
Two - Volpar Beech 18 and Norseman

Don

Sorry Don. I don't even have the source files anymore.... :dejection:

Stefano Zibell
May 10th, 2017, 15:40
All I have for a good 727 in FSX is something built on Tom's freeware 727 models. There are limitations to the virtual cockpit model and, of course, the simulator, but I've used a FCOM to implement as much of underlying logic of the real bird as I can. It has custom FDEs for most engine variants and most weight configurations, engine limitations and shenanigans like realistic startup, hot and hung starts, something akin to APR on the -17R, a load manager, automated v-speed bugs and F/O callouts and while the switch sounds aren't realistic, at least the trim clacker sound is.

The problem is that requires an awful lot of time to install and setup which is covered in 15+ pages in what exists of the manual, that the manual itself is incomplete (there's custom checklists though) and that it absolutely requires Tom's model, regardless of what one thinks about its VC textures. No Captain Sim and no TDS exterior model.

You mentioned you were tackling Tom's 727 a while ago. (Beyond what's already on your site)

Been waiting ever since.

Knowing your work, it'll be stellar.

coolguy3
May 10th, 2017, 16:17
Dreamfleet's B727, Ready For Pushback's B742 (one of the best addons ever created), Project Fokker freeware.

Naismith
May 10th, 2017, 23:53
Ready For Pushback's B742 (one of the best addons ever created), Project Fokker freeware.

Agreed plus Cessna T-37 Tweet

AusWilko
May 11th, 2017, 02:58
Sounds like the Air Scheffel 737.
Yep, that's it, thanks Bjoern

Craig Taylor
May 11th, 2017, 05:39
You mentioned you were tackling Tom's 727 a while ago. (Beyond what's already on your site)

Been waiting ever since.

My thoughts exactly. I think I'd like to give it a try, but I wouldn't have any time to devote to it until next month.

ToniJH
May 11th, 2017, 08:05
I would love to see Mikko Maliniemi Maule package in FSX native version.

aardvark62
May 11th, 2017, 08:46
Actually I still fly the FSX version of the DO-27 (in P3D) after one or two tweaks to the glass. It's one of my favorite aircraft.

Hi theFrog.

This is one I'd love to get working properly in P3D. Would you be so kind as to share your fixes?

Regards,A.

thefrog
May 11th, 2017, 09:00
I would love to see Mikko Maliniemi Maule package in FSX native version.
I still fly his Valmet Vinka in FSX and P3D

ThinkingManNeil
May 11th, 2017, 12:42
Rancho JEN's Cessna C-152 taildragger. As much as I like Didier Lagaffe's C-150K Tundra taildragger, I still have a soft spot for R-JEN's as I actually managed to create a paint scheme that looked pretty good on it.

Being a fan of low 'n slow flying, I'm a big fan of ultralights in FS, and there was a nicely rendered RANS S-12 Airaile that I really liked. Oddly, it didn't include any figures - pilot or passenger - on board.

A bit O/T, but one thing I really miss from FS9 are some Ontario sceneries that I flew out of or into frequently; Picton, Bancroft, Peterborough, and Haliburton-Stanhope. They'd all been nicely rendered in FS9 but haven't been recreated for FSX.

N.

Bjoern
May 11th, 2017, 14:12

Been waiting ever since.

My thoughts exactly. I think I'd like to give it a try, but I wouldn't have any time to devote to it until next month.

Well, looks like I have to wrap something up then.

Sundog
May 11th, 2017, 15:11
Actually, two series of planes, would be the old prop liners from Jens B. Kristensen, though we have some those from good developers now, like the Argonaut, and the Hauke Keitel models. I liked that they made those old, rare propliner/cargo planes, which we're finally starting to get more of for FSX.

kremin
May 11th, 2017, 18:08
Aeroworx B200 Super King Air - needs serious panel work which has not yet been successful in FSX IMHO - sadly missed....:(

euroastar350
May 11th, 2017, 18:42
The Maule M-7 6 Pack by I forget it's been so long and the default amphib Caravan. Used both of these in FSX till the acceleration update then problems.

Just started this today and yes, I got Mikko's permission to convert it to FSX native. In no hurry to get them done as I have other priorities at the moment, plus I'm a one man show. Been wanting to convert Mikko's Maule into FSX since the early days of FSX and Mikko doesn't have the source files any longer, so I'm running them through MCX and Blender to spit out an OBJ file which I am basing the working models from in 3DS Max. Everything will be original from the last release in 2003 including VC, so no changes whatsoever to be done, except adding the missing propeller disc which is lost during the conversion from MCX to OBJ. So there is hope ;)
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=49947&stc=1

gradyhappyg
May 11th, 2017, 18:57
[QUOTE=euroastar350;1082289]Just started this today and yes, I got Mikko's permission to convert it to FSX native. No time and in no hurry to get them done as I have other priorities at the moment, plus I'm a one man show. Been wanting to convert Mikko's Maule into FSX since the early days of FSX and Mikko doesn't have the source files any longer, so I'm running them through MCX and Blender to spit out an OBJ file which I am basing the working models from in 3DS Max. Everything will be original from the last release in 2003 including VC, so no changes whatsoever to be done, except adding the missing propeller disc which is lost during the conversion from MCX to OBJ. So there is hope ;)

Wow And thanks. Take your time no rush but I am looking forward to these.

ToniJH
May 11th, 2017, 19:31
Thank You euroastar350, very much for doing this :) This package is must have, like Miltons aero commanders and other his work :)

monk1
May 13th, 2017, 08:01

I'll second Lionheart's W33 and W34 Junkers package.

stansdds
May 14th, 2017, 03:09
I would say the Calclassic propliners (Convair CV-240, Douglas DC-6/7 etc) but I still have FS9 installed and use it along with FSX.

FS9 to me is like a pair of old comfy slippers. It's there when you need it.:adoration:

There are FSX versions of the Convairliners and DC-6 at the Calclassic website. I've used the FSX Convairliners and they work pretty well, even with SP2/Acceleration.

napamule
May 14th, 2017, 04:01
Vortex,
You said: ''The one aircraft I really miss the most in FSX is the Pilot's "Boeing B314 - The Clipper".

It's over at Simviation: Link: http://simviation.com/1/download?file=Boeing314Clipperfx.zip&fileId=19745 . There is also an update / patch.

The plane I miss most in FS9 is the Helio H-295 Courier 'Jar' (orig for FS98) by Chris Lampard. I fliped the textures and flew it in FS9. Lost it in a hard drive crash. Here is pic.
Chuck B
Napamule

DaveB
May 14th, 2017, 05:13
That link is for an update to Mike Stones model mate.. not the Pilots version.

ATB
DaveB:)