PDA

View Full Version : Milton Shupe's soh a-26 for FSX stumping me

SSI01
May 6th, 2017, 18:33
Greetings. I have installed Milton's A-26 into my FSX. I'm running into problems with the glass for the aircraft. There is a set of textures to install into each texture folder to allow the glass to display properly in FSX, but for some reason this isn't working smoothly on my setup. I've even tried copying the glass texture from the new "bc_733" texture by G-Man but this does not work as a transferred texture. What I'm consistently getting is the outside view in VC mode to be pitch black through the canopy frame; in 2D cockpit view I get a clear forward view but the rest of the views are, again, pitch black.

The texture set I've referred to above has three files in it - glass.bmp, glass_t.bmp, and spinprop.bmp. I've tried using these textures in transplant textures from FS9 but they don't alleviate the problem and I still get what's described above. I also have noted there is an extra file, glass_spec.bmp, in some of the FSX textures. Should I be moving this texture file into the FS9 transplants when trying to fix this glass problem with those textures - or should I be leaving it out?

Milton Shupe
May 7th, 2017, 05:23
Greetings. I have installed Milton's A-26 into my FSX. I'm running into problems with the glass for the aircraft. There is a set of textures to install into each texture folder to allow the glass to display properly in FSX, but for some reason this isn't working smoothly on my setup. I've even tried copying the glass texture from the new "bc_733" texture by G-Man but this does not work as a transferred texture. What I'm consistently getting is the outside view in VC mode to be pitch black through the canopy frame; in 2D cockpit view I get a clear forward view but the rest of the views are, again, pitch black.

The texture set I've referred to above has three files in it - glass.bmp, glass_t.bmp, and spinprop.bmp. I've tried using these textures in transplant textures from FS9 but they don't alleviate the problem and I still get what's described above. I also have noted there is an extra file, glass_spec.bmp, in some of the FSX textures. Should I be moving this texture file into the FS9 transplants when trying to fix this glass problem with those textures - or should I be leaving it out?

I am assuming that you followed John's instructions for the installation.

At the bottom of the "readme", he says:
"3. Copy and paste the textures included in the "Early Gun Nose Textures" folder into each of the repaint folders connected with these models."

The one texture you do not mention above is the VC_Glass_T.bmp included in the folder mentioned. Sounds like it may be related to your issue.
You should be able to copy all the textures from that folder to your texture folders to fix the issue.

SSI01
May 7th, 2017, 05:48
Sorry Milton, all I had in my folder was two glass texture files plus "spinprop", and this note:

"1 open the file TEXTURE and copy the three files glass glass_t and spinprop
2 open your FSX main folder locate the simobjects folder go to airplanes and locate your B-26/A-26 folder.
3 open your B-26/A-26 folder and paste these files into each texture folder."

I think we're talking about two different files.

Milton Shupe
May 7th, 2017, 06:02
Sorry Milton, all I had in my folder was two glass texture files plus "spinprop", and this note:

"1 open the file TEXTURE and copy the three files glass glass_t and spinprop
2 open your FSX main folder locate the simobjects folder go to airplanes and locate your B-26/A-26 folder.
3 open your B-26/A-26 folder and paste these files into each texture folder."

I think we're talking about two different files.

Do you have VC_Glass_T.bmp in your texture folders, or in a common texture folder?

EDIT: Black means you are missing a texture; so this may be the one.

EDIT2: You cannot use the FS9 glass textures. The FSX materials call for a different texture set. Go back to John's original FSX conversion and copy the textures from there. They have different names and if missing, you get BLACK.

SSI01
May 7th, 2017, 06:17
Like you suggested, I found it in another texture file and applied it to the "3lgreen" texture in the FSX file. I now have external visibility in the VC and in the 2D. Thanks for the info about the "black" view. I can now continue with applying .dds textures to the transfers from FS9. Thanks Milton!

Milton Shupe
May 7th, 2017, 06:54
Like you suggested, I found it in another texture file and applied it to the "3lgreen" texture in the FSX file. I now have external visibility in the VC and in the 2D. Thanks for the info about the "black" view. I can now continue with applying .dds textures to the transfers from FS9. Thanks Milton!

SSI01, Ah, happy that you got it sorted out. It can be frustrating at times.

Happy to help. :wavey:

SSI01
May 7th, 2017, 19:29
Betcha wish they were all that easy, huh?

I have one question about one of the textures I've modded, and an idea about what I'm seeing but want to enclose a screenshot to illustrate. Will do so tomorrow AM.