PDA

View Full Version : Severe aircraft handling issues, possible weather influences

RaFi
May 6th, 2017, 06:20
For the last couple of days my FSX became extremely sensitive to weather effects on the aircraft.

The aircraft will roll excessively, making level flight almost impossible.

I noticed that if I disable turbulence and thermal effects the aircraft is stable, but why now all of the sudden? I didn't had this problem before.
I haven't tried heavy aircraft yet, but I prefer GA and warbirds anyway, but now it is a struggle just to fly straight and level. I abuse my joystick just trying to fly level far more than when I am doing an air show routine.

I doubt that it is normal, I have never seen or feel an aircraft do this in real life. The rolls are so bad that if not countered it will roll the aircraft almost 180 degrees.

The only changes to FSX is I started to use FTX Central 3 and installed the Tasmanian demo. I never upgraded to the "new" FTX Central, but I recently formatted and decided it was time. Even then I had no problems flying in south-east Australia(where I do most of my flying with small aircraft). I only noticed a problem after I installed and started to fly around Tasmania. Initially I thought it was just a windy place, but this getting almost impossible to fly. I also tried other place in the world, yet I have the same problem now everywhere, making me think that there was a change in my FSX default settings.

I use FSX:Steam, default real time weather.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks

Dawie

mal998
May 6th, 2017, 07:40
We've been seeing this anomaly on and off for a while now. As I develop FDEs for Virtavia it has become an annoying issue and it leaves us wondering whether or not it has to do with the flight dynamics I am working on. I've seen it happen with the last 2 aircraft. I usually test out of Edwards and it usually happen a few minutes after takeoff. But this is the first time I've heard someone else site the problem. BTW, I have been using Steam.

What aircraft were you flying when you experienced it?

RaFi
May 6th, 2017, 08:21
I experienced it with the Lotus's L-39C, Milviz F-86, Just Flight's Hawker Hunter, A2A P51D (Civilian), T-6 and Cherokee 180 and the Carenado Shrike. The effect seemed to intensify as speed increases, the F-86 and Hunter was almost uncontrollable.

It is possible that that is the type of weather at this stage in that location. The Southern Hemisphere is going into its winter months and I just realized I haven't tested it in Europe. But I have flown in a number of places with bad weather over the years and never had this amount of disturbance.

I tried to google the problem, but I end up on forums where people complaining about the Dash 8. Since I experience with a range of different aircraft from different developers, I can only assume it is my FSX that is the problem.

mal998
May 6th, 2017, 09:51
However, if you clear all the weather from your flight and make sure that you've also cleared any possibility of a saved flight being the culprit, does the same problem still occur?

beercan
May 6th, 2017, 10:07
Have you in your Fsx.cfg

[Weather]
TurbulenceScale=1.000000

RaFi
May 6th, 2017, 13:35
Thank for the replies.

mal998
However, if you clear all the weather from your flight and make sure that you've also cleared any possibility of a saved flight being the culprit, does the same problem still occur?

Once I disable the weather the effect stops. The same happens when I tick "disable turbulence and thermal effects on the aircraft". From this I can assume it has to do with the effect of the weather and how the aircraft reacts. I don't use saved flights, each time I fly a new aircraft I restart FSX, usually I will restart the PC. A bit of a nuisance, but I had too many problems when I try to switch aircraft without doing this.

beercan Have you in your Fsx.cfg...

I had a look, it was "TurbulenceScale=1.000000". I changed it to "TurbulenceScale=0.5", now the effect is not so dramatic, I can at least fly.

Mach3DS
May 6th, 2017, 14:06
Before tou go and change settings all about in your fsx.cfg

Those aircraft you mentioned have different requirements for FDE...are you sure that you had your realism settings tuned correctly for each aircraft? Is it possible that they reset and you were unaware? Are you running Accu-feel? Been known to not olay nice with Milviz FDE...we had issues during beta caused by accurate.

Is your joystick in need of calibration? Could be giving crazy inputs.

malibu43
May 6th, 2017, 20:09
I had similar issues for a while and I think it was related to Accufeel and overspeeding the aircraft. After overspeeding, even after slowing down, the aircraft would jump all over the place.

RaFi
May 7th, 2017, 01:29
Thanks for the replies.

malibu43

The effect start immediately after take off, so it is not a case of over speeding.

I loaded a flight with FSX real time weather (I tried both options, static and 15minute update), the effect is present. Then I tried fair weather and the effect was gone. I tried ORBX weather theme 5, I experienced the effect, but much more manageable, the way I expect a aircraft will behave in choppy weather.

I installed Accufeel after I experienced the effect, hoping I could have better control over turbulence and thermals, but the problem stayed the same, whether I disable Accufeel or not.

I am asking if someone can start a flight at Devonport Airport(YPDO), preferably with the F-86, with real time weather and just have a look at the turbulence and thermals. Perhaps that is the kind of weather Tasmania has.

Thanks

Dawie

PRB
May 7th, 2017, 04:37
Do you have Accu-Feel installed? The default settings for "Turbulence Chop", "Turbulence Gusts" and "Clear Air Turbulence" are all mid range on the sliders, and the effect, for me, is too much turbulence, so I always slide those way to the left. I have seen the massive rolling at times, but I don't remember if it happened only after installing Accu-Feel.

EDIT: oops, never mind. Just read the previous post more carefully! :)

Mach3DS
May 7th, 2017, 07:44
Unfortunately, it is how it is in real life. The difference is that you can feel it in your whole body in real life. You're not not stuck looking at the six pack to understand what is going on. Please don't take.this the wrong way...havr you cinsidered It's your ego? Not in a prideful or bad way. Just in the factual way. We all suffer from it. Including myself...to my own detriment many times! But seriously We all sometimes thunk things should be a certain way based on our experience and We all want to be super pilots amd.think we are (I am, and you are too!). Consider for a moment that You might have come up against the next level of skill you need to achieve. This type of motion is present even in RL flight training devices and it's up to you fly the plane. I remember even back to my instrument rating days the sim had crappy turbulence you simply have to push through it. PIREPS are just that, one guys experience. And are dependent on tyoe of aircraft being flown. If a 172 pilot says he experienced moderate chop vs. a 757 saying they experienced moderate chop...look out GA pilots you're in for a treat!

Mach3DS
May 7th, 2017, 08:59
However all that said...full rolls is not realistic...I woukd adjust your accusim turbulence levels...should even things out. I have the same thing happen occasionally...

PRB
May 7th, 2017, 15:04
Unfortunately, it is how it is in real life. The difference is that you can feel it in your whole body in real life. You're not not stuck looking at the six pack to understand what is going on. Please don't take.this the wrong way...havr you cinsidered It's your ego? Not in a prideful or bad way. Just in the factual way. We all suffer from it. Including myself...to my own detriment many times! But seriously We all sometimes thunk things should be a certain way based on our experience and We all want to be super pilots amd.think we are (I am, and you are too!). Consider for a moment that You might have come up against the next level of skill you need to achieve. This type of motion is present even in RL flight training devices and it's up to you fly the plane. I remember even back to my instrument rating days the sim had crappy turbulence you simply have to push through it. PIREPS are just that, one guys experience. And are dependent on tyoe of aircraft being flown. If a 172 pilot says he experienced moderate chop vs. a 757 saying they experienced moderate chop...look out GA pilots you're in for a treat!

In general, I have to agree... Well said.