PDA

View Full Version : IRIS Battlefield Airlifter and Predecessor

SSI01
May 5th, 2017, 18:09
IRIS has their Battlefield Airlifter out but prior to that they did a near-identical Platinum edition. I went to the IRIS site but couldn't find that Platinum version. I emailed them some time ago to ask if it was still available but haven't heard from them yet - about two weeks. Many of the textures for the BA are Platinum versions that look like they would otherwise be suitable for the BA version. Is that C-27J Platinum available anywhere?

RaFi
May 5th, 2017, 22:47
The Airlifter is an updated and very much needed improvement of the Platinum edition.

I was one of the suckers who got caught, the Platinum was very expensive model, but had a whole list of problems. When people started to complain, IRIS dropped the price, provided 2 "fixes" that didn't really help and then was quiet for almost 2 years.

However, all the mistakes was eventually rectified and the improved package was released as the Airlifter package.

Sorry for the negative information, but the whole story was a very unpleasant experience.

In short, you really don't want the Platinum edition, is was like one of those fake gold watches where the paint chip after a week.:biggrin-new:

What textures are the "BA textures"? Maybe I can have look and see if I can fit it to the new model.

SSI01
May 6th, 2017, 12:50
RaFi - here is the list of the textures I've installed in my copy of the BA on my machine. I checked the texture contents individually and there didn't seem to be anything different between the two types. Each one you see on the list has "Platinum" in the "ui_manufacturer=" entry. This constitutes practically EVERYTHING that is available for download for the C-27J in either variant from IRIS.

My objective was to try to install these textures in the BA file with suitable changes to the .cfg file for each texture. I've yet to get around to see if this has worked.

Thanks, and don't worry about the comments, space is short here and I need a quick & dirty description of problems before I launch into a bout of changes via dxt.bmp if that's what's called for.

Here's the list:

iris Iris Spartan RAAF 35 Sqn.zip
iris_c-27_spartan_us_navy.zip
c27j_faf.zip
c27j_haf.zip
c-27j_rnlaf.zip
c-27j_rnlaf_e_and_a_variants.zip
FSX Iris C27 RAAF AC.zip
FSX Iris Spartan AAE.zip
FSX Iris Spartan FEDEX AU.zip
FSX Iris Spartan QANTAS.zip
FSX Iris Spartan Toll.zip
FSX_canadian_forces_sar_c-27j.zip
fsx_iris_c27_raaf_ac.zip
fsx_iris_raaf_ec.zip
fsx_iris_spartan_aae.zip
fsx_iris_spartan_fedex_au.zip
fsx_iris_spartan_qantas.zip
fsx_iris_spartan_rnzaf.zip
fsx_iris_spartantoll.zip
haf_c27j_4122_fsx.zip
iris_c-27j_rcaf.zip
texture.tvair.zip
texture_bas.zip

Hope this helps.

SSI01

RaFi
May 6th, 2017, 13:24
I had a quick look at the texture files, the textures for the platinum version will work, you only need to change sim=C-27J_FSX to sim=BA_FSX and Model= EC-27J to Model=

Enjoy the aircraft, it is a very nice aircraft, have a look at the air display on you tube if you haven't seen it before, it was simply mind blowing to see that type of aircraft do rolls and loops.

SSI01
May 6th, 2017, 16:08
Thanks, RaFi, I'll do just that.

There is at least one texture I won't be able to use which is for the ER/EC variant of the aircraft, which you mention in your post. I've written IRIS to ask if it were possible to obtain just that particular model from the now-defunct Platinum version so those one or two textures could be used, but have not heard back from them.

RaFi
May 6th, 2017, 16:44
I am not sure what ER/EC means, but if it is about the radar dome, you can change the aircraft config on the CDU, select System Page, then A/C Config. Here you can fit refueling probes, radar domes etc.

SSI01
May 6th, 2017, 18:18
ER/EC = Electronic Reconnaissance/Electronic Countermeasures.

I'd like to do exactly as you say as this does have to do with the radome, but what the heck is a CDU, and where do I find it? I guess System Page will show itself after I get into the CDU. I hate to say this but I think I'm going to need a little more specific direction.

EDIT: Your post got me curious and after checking on the internet and then on the aircraft's inst. panel once I started the sim, I discovered what the CDU is. A little analytical reasoning and checking out the screen has resulted in me happily cruising over the Grand Canyon in my Italian AF Spartan with air search radome rotating above the bird, as advertised. Thanks for the hint!

RaFi
May 7th, 2017, 01:32
Glad it worked out for you in the end.

The C-27J is a nifty aircraft, I was blown away at an air show with its display.

The final IRIS Airlifter version is pretty good, I have spent many hours in the cockpit, trying to chat up my co-pilot...

SSI01
May 7th, 2017, 05:50
I hear you. Stony pony.