PDA

View Full Version : OT, please help- computer problem has me out of simming!

dc10boy
May 4th, 2017, 19:07
Hi All, I'm banging my head against the wall with this one and trying to avoid a reformat. Windows 7 64 bit is the OS
This morning my Wife restarted the computer due to a lockup while burning a disk. after the restart the computer came up with the normal ASUS post image, then loading windows appeared . then a black screen.
I was able to get graphics in safe mode. I removed and cleanly reinstalled the Nvidia (GTX970) display drivers. back to black screen on boot. Safe mode again, removed the display drivers. reboot. graphics reappeared.
Every time I install drivers for my GTX970, I get nothing but black screen. any version. The computer functions normally with the standard windows VGA driver, but slower and gaming is out of the question.
Has anybody ever encountered anything like this before? a Google search shows similar faults but I'm unable to resolve. Thanks
Stan

papab
May 4th, 2017, 19:36
Stan,
I ran across this the other day over on AVSIM
Talks about a program that removes all traces of a previous driver that might cause problems
You might give it a whirl..I think the poster works for LM

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/507561-ddu-driver-display-uninstaller/

Rick

awstub
May 4th, 2017, 20:02
You could have a damaged file on the HD that's related to the driver.
Running the chkdsk utility can find errors and possibly fix them.
It can be run from a command prompt or the GUI interface within
Windows Computer management/ storage / disk management / (disk properties) / tools

Penzoil3
May 4th, 2017, 20:13
If need be, you can do a repair from your Windows 7 installation disc. You won't lose anything (data wise) with a repair. Boot off the install disc, and chose repair instead of install.

awstub
May 5th, 2017, 04:54
Before doing a repair, it is a very good idea to run chkdsk to make sure the hard disk does not have any bad blocks or sectors.

If need be, you can do a repair from your Windows 7 installation disc. You won't lose anything (data wise) with a repair. Boot off the install disc, and chose repair instead of install.

rvn817j
May 5th, 2017, 06:56
I'm not an expert by any means and the action I recommend is based on my own experience and no familiarity whatsoever with your system environment.

When I have had a problem such as yours and most things fail to work, I reset the motherboard BIOS (called CLEAR CMOS I believe). There should be a jumper on your motherboard for this procedure. MAKE SURE you REMOVE all POWER from your computer (i.e., computer off and power supply OFF...maybe even unplug it from the wall socket). There will be instructions in your motherboard manual specific to your computer, but usually it is move the jumper from its current pin location over one pin, wait 30 seconds, place the jumper back where you started. Replace the computer case cover and turn things on again.

People that attempt to OC their computer are familiar with this procedure (so you can guess why I am familiar with it). Some motherboards (usually the high end ones) have a button for the procedure. Good luck.

dc10boy
May 6th, 2017, 02:09
Thanks for the help guys. I tested my graphics card in another machine and found it to be faulty. At least it's still under warranty. I can't figure out why it works under a standard VGA driver in windows but nothing else. I just bought a 960GB SSD for 259$ just in case so I may either start fresh or clone my current drive after install of the new card..

Jafo
May 6th, 2017, 07:54
If you google the 970 you'll find 'issues' with it....not the least the inability to access the entire memory on it.
Results vary [as with anything] but from day one the 980 was a far better card....were 4gig actually meant 4gig.

There are just so many ways you can get a black screen [or a BSOD for that matter] that almost always it won't be what most people suggest.

First point of call is always going to be an unwanted/unnoticed driver update that's gone belly-up .... followed by the same with an intentional one....and then comes the hardware....specifically the card itself.

Then connectors...assuming you've been ham-fisted moving things around....

Way down the bottom of the list would be bad sectors on a HD ....that's so last century...;)

rvn817j
May 6th, 2017, 08:39
If you google the 970 you'll find 'issues' with it....not the least the inability to access the entire memory on it.
Results vary [as with anything] but from day one the 980 was a far better card....were 4gig actually meant 4gig.

There are just so many ways you can get a black screen [or a BSOD for that matter] that almost always it won't be what most people suggest.

First point of call is always going to be an unwanted/unnoticed driver update that's gone belly-up .... followed by the same with an intentional one....and then comes the hardware....specifically the card itself.

Then connectors...assuming you've been ham-fisted moving things around....

Way down the bottom of the list would be bad sectors on a HD ....that's so last century...;)

I was thinking in a similar vein as Jafo. Before concluding the graphics card was the problem, put a known good graphics card into your computer to confirm graphics card issue (and still not something else related to your computer). BTW, one of my rigs runs a 970 just fine (but if I had to do it over again I would avoid due to all the revelations).