PDA

View Full Version : Modifications for the QualityWings 757 Collection (SP3)

Bjoern
May 1st, 2017, 16:19
Needed something with a usable FMC and the package sells for 20€, so why not. Found a few issues though and therefor spent all weekend fixing things under the hood before actually trying it out.

So here's the results. All models and panel variations will get the following:

Cockpit models:

- Fixed mouse wheel interactions for all operable selectors

- Fixed clickspots for some elements

- Fixed inoperable autopilot selectors when panel lights are on

- Animated rain for the cockpit windows

Panels:

- Key control for the spoiler lever

- Load manager panel

Flight Dynamics:

- Lowered base drag coefficient by around 2.4% for the winglet models

Sounds:

- Additional sounds for the operable cockpit elements (next to the rather quiet standard ones)

Picture:
http://i.imgur.com/GLK6se4.jpg

Disclaimer: By installing and using these modifications, you will not be eligible for support from QualityWings! (You'll void your warranty, so to speak.)

Compatibility:

I've tried to make these mods as uninvasive as I can. The only files that are overwritten are the .cfg and .air files, but I've provided backups of the originals for an easy reversal.

The load manager complements QualityWing's and FSX'.

Download:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6K_xiE2GqmMSDNYZVJ0dGhIOW8/view?usp=sharing

As usual, ****.

Bjoern
May 1st, 2017, 16:35
The board software apparently dislikes manuals or readmes and censors any, well..."reinforced" prompts to study them.

marijn
May 2nd, 2017, 10:33
Thanks Bjoern,

I will try them out tonight :wavey:

IanP
May 4th, 2017, 01:30
Quick question, if I may, Bjoern?

I've been looking at this for ages, but the reviews are of about 8 different versions, over several years, and I'm confused as heck. Is the Nav Display actually usable, or as a lot of the reviews say, limited to 40NM, 40NM and only 40NM?

Thanks for your efforts on improving the model, even though I don't (yet) have it to use them! ;)

Cheers,

Ian P.

Bjoern
May 4th, 2017, 08:02
Not at my main PC to recheck, but while testing the new clickspots, I could switch the nav display through more range settings than one.

I found that most reviews and user opinions regarding the systems miss that they're modeled on point. If it isn't relevant in a flightsim (e.g. window heat, cabin temp, pressurization), it isn't in there. If the real thing takes an extra step to achieve, it doesn't in the virtual model. I quite like that, but I honestly still wish I had more dummy switches in the cockpit that can just be clicked for clicking's sake.

Next to the unnecessarily complex activation (for a 20€ add-on!!), the only thing I'm thoroughly disappointed of is the lack of clickspots for things that *do* work, such as the nav radios. These have to be tuned from their numerical display instead of the associated knob. While I can't entirely correct that, I at least want to try to make it better this weekend.

Can't comment on the sounds and FDE yet, but both appear to have received generally high marks. The latter requires understanding that the 757 is fairly little plane with a lot of engine. A former 757 driver in the QW forums wrote that engine derates to an assumed temperature of 63°C were fairly standard on normal days(!!!) with enough runway available at low weights.

In terms of visuals, well, it's a 757 and looks like one inside and out.

Bjoern
May 6th, 2017, 11:00
Yo Ian, the EFIS control issue is limited to the retrofit cockpit with the large LCD screens. The EFIS control panel is a bit different for that one, but QW didn't implement those changes into the VC model. Consequently, you'll have to pull up the 2D version of the panel to make any adjustments to range and mode.
I can't do anything about thissince the EFIS control panel is a C++ gauge that can't be interfaced with (unless the developer made some provisions, which QW didn't).

In the meantime, I'm still plucking away. I'm happy to report that my effort worked and the radios can now be tuned from their knobs.
I, however, found out that the windscreen in the VC model is not planar, so I'm working on correcting that as well.

IanP
May 11th, 2017, 00:36
Many thanks Bjoern - I'll have to grab myself a copy next time I have some money, as it sounds like it is worth having.

Sounds like you're having fun trying to bring it up to date, too!

Cheers,

Ian P.

Bjoern
May 11th, 2017, 14:11
With five and four different models with four panel variations each, I wouldn't exactly call it "fun", but getting panel changes in is not as bad as for the SkySims DC-9 with its 16 panel variations. :dizzy: