PDA

View Full Version : Gettysburg

falcon409
April 30th, 2017, 11:14
Someplace for Ike to park the 560 while at his Ranch! The "Presidential" hangar is set, now to build the other hangars, place the autogen and various other homes around the area and it should suffice.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g84/ejwells409/Air%20Force%20One-2017-apr-30-002.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g84/ejwells409/Air%20Force%20One-2017-apr-30-003.jpg

Milton Shupe
April 30th, 2017, 11:31
Someplace for Ike to park the 560 while at his Ranch! The "Presidential" hangar is set, now to build the other hangars, place the autogen and various other homes around the area and it should suffice.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g84/ejwells409/Air%20Force%20One-2017-apr-30-002.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g84/ejwells409/Air%20Force%20One-2017-apr-30-003.jpg

Ed, that looks very, uh, presidential Sir :-)

BTW, how long is that runway?

The 560 and 680 should be able to handle a 2000' RW once you are familiar with them.

falcon409
April 30th, 2017, 13:02
Thanks Milton. . .the runway measure 3100ft, so shouldn't be a problem for the Commanders.

BendyFlyer
April 30th, 2017, 14:12
Falcon looks good. By the way I went looking for a Gettysburg scenery that somebody may have done other than the default scenery and discovered that ORBX had covered it their freeware NA Airports Pack. I uploaded and installed that yesterday and have to say it is pretty good and is highly recommended. But and here is the but I have only used Instant Scenery for doing this sort of stuff and I have found that sometimes the scenery package you do will work and sometimes not. I only build flying boat or seaplane bases covering the golden years of flying boats.

Gettysburg to Washington DC in the Aero Commander is a 15 min jaunt. No problems with the runway gave it a bash yesterday. Now in real life the performance tables, runway etc probably would have meant a restricted load but getting in and out is no issue and suits me, love short strip flying, always a challenge.

As a matter of interest what scenery is that? It is different to the default I have and the tweaked ORBX addon.

falcon409
April 30th, 2017, 15:26
. . . . .As a matter of interest what scenery is that? It is different to the default I have and the tweaked ORBX addon.
Actually, it's the scenery for Gettysburg that I'm working on. I have the photoreal ground texture in place, redone the taxiways and parking ramps, placed the Presidential Hangar for the 560 and am building and texturing the main hangar and remaining buildings. After that, the autogen vegetation and remaining homes and other buildings on the outskirts.

manfredc3
April 30th, 2017, 18:45
Looking very nice

falcon409
May 1st, 2017, 05:25
A couple of shots of the main Hangar at W05:

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g84/ejwells409/W05%20Main%20Hangar-2017-may-1-002.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g84/ejwells409/W05%20Main%20Hangar-2017-may-1-003.jpg

mikewmac
May 1st, 2017, 05:52
That's a beauty! Love it. :encouragement:

strykerpsg
May 1st, 2017, 15:52
Ed, great work as always. You seem to always depict some of the most obscure places, done nicely I might add, but what is your methodology for picking them? Also, what sort of tools do you need to modify and enhance the scenery the way you do? There's a few airfields I would love to dive into to see what kind of update I can do.

falcon409
May 2nd, 2017, 11:02
Adding Vegetation and soon to populate the Mobile Home Park in the background. Still needs a night map, and seasonal ground textures.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g84/ejwells409/Gettysburg_W05-2017-may-2-002.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g84/ejwells409/Gettysburg_W05-2017-may-2-001.jpg

These shots are done in P3D_V3.4 with Orbx Basic and Vector Basic, full tessellation, extremely dense autogen settings and 2048 texture setting. This scenery may or may not adjust itself to FSX/P3D default ground textures. I have no way of testing that as I no longer have the ability to revert to default textures. The scenery will be included in the Air Force One livery I did for the 560 as a package deal.

jmbiii
May 2nd, 2017, 17:57
Ed, :wavey:

Somebody is gonna land short and mess up the President's hangar where it sits.
You might want to move it to where the lone plane is sitting in the Google Earth shot. :encouragement:

Lookin' good. Wish I could make the objects the way you can !

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=49719&stc=1

falcon409
May 2nd, 2017, 19:07
A more workable solution? I thought the original placement made for more interesting landings, and since there is no such hangar at Gettysburg the placement was open ended shall we say. However if you felt it was placed wrong, others would as well and so to alleviate any sweaty palms and white knuckles I have taken your suggestion.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g84/ejwells409/W05_President.jpg

strykerpsg
May 3rd, 2017, 01:28
Ed, great work as always. You seem to always depict some of the most obscure places, done nicely I might add, but what is your methodology for picking them?

Also, what sort of tools do you need to modify and enhance the scenery the way you do? There's a few airfields I would love to dive into to see what kind of update I can do.

Ed,

Not sure if you missed my earlier post, so asking again. I am becoming more and more interested in modifying places as you've done, and other designers too. Mostly, I would like to take a stab at enhancing much of the military airfields overlooked by Orbx.

falcon409
May 3rd, 2017, 03:24
Ed,

Not sure if you missed my earlier post, so asking again. I am becoming more and more interested in modifying places as you've done, and other designers too. Mostly, I would like to take a stab at enhancing much of the military airfields overlooked by Orbx.
Yes, sorry for the delayed answer;
I use Scenery Builder X (I have a series of video Tutorials in the downloads section), ADE for AFCAD work, Sketchup for custom Object creation, Paint Shop Pro to modify or create textures for my scenery objects, ModelConverterX for compiling all my custom Objects and Instant Scenery 3 for all object placement.

falcon409
May 3rd, 2017, 05:51
Project completed. Just waiting on the bump and spec textures for the "Ike" livery I did and I'll release the package. I have also been informed that Ike actually may have used Gettysburg Regional on occasion, but it was not his "Official" stop off point when relaxing at his ranch, which is just south of the airport. It seems he had his own grass strip and Heliport at his residence. So for those who might break out in hives or suffer an anxiety attack when flying to an airport that has a hangar that actually was never there, you might want to bypass this one. Of course if you have the ability to work in ADE and IS3 you could easily correct the oversight and remove the hangar, parking ramp and parking spots. I won't be doing the ranch though. . .just thought I'd mention that.:biggrin-new:

strykerpsg
May 3rd, 2017, 16:34
Yes, sorry for the delayed answer;
I use Scenery Builder X (I have a series of video Tutorials in the downloads section), ADE for AFCAD work, Sketchup for custom Object creation, Paint Shop Pro to modify or create textures for my scenery objects, ModelConverterX for compiling all my custom Objects and Instant Scenery 3 for all object placement.

Its ok, I understand you're busy with life brother! Thanks much for the videos. I will give them a gander this weekend to see how much the various software utilities cost overall.

One additional question about the utilities, are they FSX/P3D only or can you use them for other simulations too?

BendyFlyer
May 3rd, 2017, 16:48
Falcon409, I think it looks great and moving the fictional hangar seems like a good idea to me. I have had a look at the ranch/farm as it is today and can only identify one grass area to the north of the house that probably would have been used as a grass field but it is very very short. I would not bother with the ranch but I might find a suitable object or house and use IS3 to plonk it on the farm area. Your work is appreciated and it is also a tribute to the Aero Commander and a great President that it was deemed suitable to carry the President, not many other small aeroplanes ever got that privilege.

falcon409
May 3rd, 2017, 17:24
Its ok, I understand you're busy with life brother! Thanks much for the videos. I will give them a gander this weekend to see how much the various software utilities cost overall.
No problem. . .with the exception of Paint Shop Pro (less than $50. I think) and Instant Scenery 3 ($29.95 thru Flight1), all other utilities are free.

One additional question about the utilities, are they FSX/P3D only or can you use them for other simulations too?
All should work regardless of the sim version with the exception of Sbuilder. . .there is one for FS9 and previous versions (SBuilder) and one for FSX and beyond (SBuilderX). One caution though, SbuilderX and Windows10 do not play as well together as they do with Win7. There are functions in SBuilderX that I can no longer do because of Win10 restrictions which the author says he no plans to correct.

strykerpsg
May 3rd, 2017, 19:58
Ed, thank you good sir for the list of info on how you do your magic. Your scenery is always top notch.

Sort of off topic, but just read on article on DTG's forthcoming Flight Sim World, wonder how compatible these changes will work within it's engine too? I do note that Orbx will feature prominently in the new design, so I am hopeful.

anyway, thanks for sharing.

falcon409
May 3rd, 2017, 20:30
Ed, thank you good sir for the list of info on how you do your magic. Your scenery is always top notch.
Sort of off topic, but just read on article on DTG's forthcoming Flight Sim World, wonder how compatible these changes will work within it's engine too? I do note that Orbx will feature prominently in the new design, so I am hopeful.
anyway, thanks for sharing.

Just a note: I inadvertently typed the wrong price for IS3 and just noticed it. . .$29.95 (not $39.95):dizzy:

strykerpsg
May 4th, 2017, 16:39
Just a note: I inadvertently typed the wrong price for IS3 and just noticed it. . .$29.95 (not $39.95):dizzy:

it's ok, with my eyes, I read it as $29.95......kidding. Thanks for the update.