PDA

View Full Version : FSFX Chaseplane

gman5250
April 13th, 2017, 04:02
I've been following the development of the FSFX Packages Chase Plane camera system for a while now. I decided to give it a go, and purchased the Alpha test package.

My first impressions.

Even as an Alpha package this addon is absolutely amazing. I primarily bought the package to use as a tool to enhance my video work and I'm not disappointed.

Worth the purchase price: Yes

Development progress: Very Very comprehensive, even as an "Alpha".

Cameras: Cockpit and exterior camera options are standard with a comprehensive interface assigning hotkeys, motion physics and camera movement speeds. Extremely flexible.

TrackIR: Yes, with some buggy behaviors, but completely usable at this stage of development. Requires a bit of tweaking to dial in your personal setup and ease of use.

World cameras: Along with the expected internal and external views, the software places a world camera at every runway and parking space at installed airports. There is a also a completely flexible static camera option that lets you fly a camera to any virtual space around the airplane, with an option to track the plane.

Sim Connect: This is a very significant area, as the simconnect issues connected to camera pans can affect video smoothness. Overall the smoothness is amazing with no stuttering.

Performance: The interface provides a VAS usage icon that displays critical VAS performance. The software is able to utilize multiple cores.

Ease of use: If you know EZDOK, the logic of this software will be very familiar. The user interface is extremely comprehensive with a primary menu which can be tasked to be always on top, and an additional in sim pop up menu for quick navigation.

Video interface: Best of all, the menus do not record when using screen capture. The menus can remain open as you record a flight, but will not be picked up by your video capture software. Great for trick edits on the fly.

Two thumbs up for me, and the product is still under development.

I thought starting a thread to cover this addon would be appropriate, so add your comments if you are so inclined.

Javis
April 13th, 2017, 10:40
Thanks for the HU, Gordon, certainly looks interesting !

Before putting down 39 bucks ( certainly for an Alpha that's no peanuts.. :icon_eek: ) could you possible elaborate on the 'World Cameras' a little bit please ? Is it already established in the Chase Plane Alpha ? ( and if affirm it *will* follow your aircraft, will it ?...) I watched all the videos at the FSFX site (the long ones not completely) but i didn't see any evidence of this particular view modes.

By customizing the default FSX Camera.cfg i have my most favourite external view established already for years: standing along the runway to watch my take-off's and landings (camera follows the arcraft) during replay. This certainly would be a view mode i can't do without with an add-on camera system like Chase Plane.

Like you say "the software places a world camera at every runway and parking space at installed airports ", this would mean an instant buy for me but seeing no evidence of it in the videos i wonder why not...

In my FSX Book watching your plane take-off and land as a 'plane spotter' standing alongside the runway (something one can usually forget about in the RW..) is one of the most spectacular views one can have in FSX ( therefore quite remarkable that it is sorely missing in the default camera config..). As far as i know only with Active Camera you could have this fantastic view

So, what can you tell me about that, Gordon ? Screenshot maybe ?.... :)

Thanks very much in advance !

Btw, the views and how to create them i DID see in the videos are truly wonderful indeed !

Cheers,
Jan

gman5250
April 13th, 2017, 11:22
There has been quite a bit of development since the videos.

The software offers three modes for every aircraft.

Onboard: You can create cameras and completely tailor the camera and motion physics to that camera, also tailor your camera movement speeds as well.
Outside: Same as Onboard

Static: The current version will automatically place a "world" camera at every runway. Where ever there is a numbered runway, you get a camera. You also get cameras at numbered parking spaces. It all just loads when you go to your airport...no setup, other than selecting the view and tuning the camera to suit the view, zoom, height...etc.

There is another option that allows you to insert any number of cameras as "statics", with their own customizable physics. These cameras can be flown to a location in 3D space. The same static mode allows a camera to be flown, by a separate controller i.e. Xbox controller, live in the sim without interfering with your other controllers. I use my Wacom tablet...works great, I just fly the camera by using hand controls on the pad. I can program the pad to be tasked for that purpose.

To answer your question on tracking, you can switch aircraft tracking on/off via the menu.
You can assign hot keys to all of the cameras.

In theory, you can put cameras where ever you wish then concentrate on handling the airplane. For instance a takeoff might have a "tracking" camera at the either end of the runway. Simple hotkey to switch on the fly. You could have a camera mid runway, static that would catch the airplane as it passes by. I've already experimented with this and it is really phenomenal.

I've had it for three days and have had two updates...looks like they are busy with the development.

I'm putting together a video right now showing what I've been able to do with the system.

Best of all is the smoothness. Panning around the cockpit has no jumpy artefacts, or stutters. It is extremely smooth. The only motion is from the vibration and body physics that are tuned to the camera itself.
The motion physics are based on frame/engine vibration, weather physics (compatible with Active Sky 2016), body/head momentum physics including breathing, and horizon tracking.

I haven't had time to deeply examine the more subtle airplane and head/body motion physics related to the Active Sky weather engine, so I can't give a yes or no on that. I'll look at that today.

There is a lot more, but this hits the key questions you asked Jan.

I give it a high recommendation as it stands, but the development is going much farther. Pretty amazing IMO.

Cheers,
G

gman5250
April 13th, 2017, 20:10
I shot a quick video that shows some of the camera angles and tracking features. This was basically one single shoot, using pre-positioned camera views accessed with hot keys for on the fly camera changes. I also use my Wacom Intuos Tablet with hand gestures to do pans, zooms and other camera movements. The whole setup allows for the aircraft to handled with traditional controllers, while directing the cameras with hotkeys or switches in the stick/throttle.

https://youtu.be/k_Bwk4PKFMg

TuFun
April 13th, 2017, 21:27
This is what I'm waiting for before I buy...

"We heard everyone's feedback and we will be providing an offline solution for ChasePlane before the official v1 release later this year."

https://fsfxpackages.com/en/blog/2017/02/26/server-outage-feb-26-2017/

Javis
April 13th, 2017, 22:38
Thanks very much for your elaborate explanation and video, Gordon ! :encouragement:

The few taxi-by and take-off shots pulled me across to take out the ol' cc and buy the proggy ( i did bang my desk when you changed the camera during take-off just du moment supreme.. Hehe ). A bit of a problem during VFXCentral setup but finally it worked and installation of ChasePlane went smooth.

There's supposed to be a 'short' manual for ChasePlane available at the Avsim/FSFX forum but sofar i haven't been able to locate it. Do you maybe have a clue ??.....

Thanks much again ! Haven't been able to have a look at it yet but i think i'm going to enjoy it !

Cheers,
Jan

gman5250
April 14th, 2017, 03:17
i did bang my desk when you changed the camera during take-off just du moment supreme.. Hehe

Maual...
No manual when I installed, but I'll see what I can find.

Desk pounding......
Next time I'll put the camera a bit farther down the runway. That is a really good angle to catch rotation as the airplane is still moving towards the camera! My bad...:biggrin-new:

stovall
April 14th, 2017, 06:11
Thanks for creating this thread Gordon. I purchased Chase Plane a month ago but have not really had the time to test as much as I wanted. Your comments are very helpful. Any input by anyone who has the product is encouraged. I believe there has already been an update since I purchased.

Javis
April 14th, 2017, 06:20
Found it (the 'short' manual). If you click the 'manual' button at your account's ChasePlane product you'll get a link to it but it doesn't work. Doesn't copy either but this one should take you to the manual ov er at Avsim : https://www.avsim.com/forums/forum/775-fsfx-packages-chaseplane-support/

Going to have a look what's up with ChasePlane now.

The problem with my custom 'runway view' is that it places you near the vicinity of a runway but you still have to move yourself to a spot that you like (via Ctrl/Shift/Enter/Back) you *can* have multiple cameras. If an airport has 4 runways you'll have 4 cameras. Some 'running' involved to place each camera along the same take-off/landing runway. Spectacular view though particularly with a big plane like B-36, B-47, or 747. Add some rain and you'll get soaking wet. :cool:

gman5250
April 14th, 2017, 12:56
The thread may become a useful forum to discuss setups, techniques and general information.

General FYI: The software allows for automatic updates. The devs keep adding bits here and there as they work out the various warts, and add more features.

For me, the ease of use and wide range of flexibility built in to the platform is a game changer for video work. I'll still use TrackIR, but it is much easier to follow aircraft now with the automatic tracking option for static cameras. Now I'll just use TrackIR to enhance immersion.
I made this second short video with a bit more informative edit. This one shows the cameras at work, multitasking quite smoothly and as I used hotkeys and controller buttons to select cameras while handling the airplane.

This time I rotated the plane prior to hitting the static camera at mid point...just for you Jan. :very_drunk:

I'll put together a longer, more comprehensive vid concentrating on these trick cameras.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yTizZsxSw4

mikewmac
April 15th, 2017, 01:31
Thanks Gordon,
Great videos and insight into what looks to be a must have addon. :ernaehrung004:

DickB
April 16th, 2017, 23:40
This is what I'm waiting for before I buy...

"We heard everyone's feedback and we will be providing an offline solution for ChasePlane before the official v1 release later this year."

https://fsfxpackages.com/en/blog/2017/02/26/server-outage-feb-26-2017/
Thanks for posting this TuFun - I hadn't realised Chase Plane was online only at this point. I too will be waiting for an offline version.

YoYo
April 17th, 2017, 00:51
Interesting tool, but I think it overpriced a little....
Remember than now in P3D is a Cinematographer mode which looks similar and I use it very often (but for sure, it hasn't all features of this Chaseplane). You can Turn on it by Shift+F5. :wavey:

I'm affraid Track IR compatibility also.

Example from 18:20:

http://youtu.be/MgokBykIfOc?t=18m17s

roger-wilco-66
April 17th, 2017, 02:55
Thanks for starting this thread, Gordon! I checked the website and bought the current alpha version. Off to try it out now!

Cheers,
Mark

jeansy
April 17th, 2017, 03:41
Chase-plane is the only package I dont own from them, all their other packages are state of the art addons, even the most basic one precipitFX is worth its weight in gold

I havent joined the alpha just yet but have been watching closely with anticipation the past few months

With painting, flying, painting, 2mth old kid, work, painting with sleep in there somewhere I dont have the time to play around it just like the air hauler early access has become a waste of time for me

it will be nice to get regular updates with the changes and updates they do with the product from non affiliated developer's point of view

* opps I lied I dont have lear 35 immersion aswell

gman5250
April 17th, 2017, 06:22
I think that the fair comparison is between ChasePlane and EZDok 2, which I have also been using since it first came out. P3D Cinematographer is a major improvement from previous camera options as well, but is lacking when compared to the other two. I spend a lot of time outside the "office" when I fly, mainly because 99% of my flying focuses on scenery and aircraft development. The outside views allow a comprehensive perspective for evaluating detail and immersion.

For me, the single selling factor for ChasePlane was the availability of world or "static" cameras. I agree, the price point is higher than what we have become accustomed to, but the same has been true for aircraft. For my application, the cost benefit justified the price point.

I spent endless hours in FSX placing runway and static cameras for still captures and fly by perspectives. Those hours represent value to me.
When I installed ChasePlane and saw that it automatically put cameras at every airport, runway and parking space in the simulators, both FSX and P3D, I was jumping around the room like a high school cheerleader. Scary visual if you know me.

The second major hit for me was the absolute smoothness of the panning features. The only artefact I have noted, after a few days of use, is a bit of a stutter in "fly by" views. As the camera follows the airplane moving rapidly by, the scenery can become a bit stuttered as the GPU tries to crunch all of the data. I'm sure the devs are working on this, so I'll be watching for improvements as updates come out.

Overall, I am seeing this addon as a major improvement in my sim...both FSX and Prepar3D.

TuFun
April 17th, 2017, 08:33
Thanks for the info "G". Have they or are they going to implement anything like formation flights like in FSRecorder?

gman5250
April 17th, 2017, 09:07
Thanks for the info "G". Have they or are they going to implement anything like formation flights like in FSRecorder?

From what I have seen, they are very receptive to the community. I haven't been active in the forum, but will be after I've had more seat time.

The one I really want to see is the cam that EZDok had in the original. It didn't come with the package, but was available through the dev. The camera was an external aircraft cam they called "spot", that simulated the view of a wing man. The view would move independently up/down and side to side as if viewed from another virtual plane in formation. The cam could be moved in 3D space for very nice pans in video work.

If I were going to suggest a cam for ChasePlane...it would be one like that. But, this is an Alpha with a very knowledgeable team writing the architecture.

TuFun
April 17th, 2017, 12:06
Yep, I remember that video showing an aircraft peeling off. I did something like that a few years ago in this video using FSRecorder. Another option that's possible for FSFX to add.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bqn0LtKiXPI

roger-wilco-66
April 19th, 2017, 09:20
That chaseplane software is fun! I just figured out that Chris Sykes Weapons are dropable with the April 1st function.
Seems like I'm using the thing for something totally different in the moment.

Cheers,
Mark

airattackimages
April 20th, 2017, 20:05
Looks fantastic. I always use an actual chase aircraft to make all my videos, this looks like it could add an interesting dimension if combined with what I already do.

jeansy
October 31st, 2017, 07:39
I finally bought it the other day, after G's repeated remarks I was interested

Im glad it did, thanks for the recommendation

I still have some fine tuning to do, ive got my helos sorted, now I just have to work on my fixed wing

a video of testing a profile tonight in real weather at home

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Z_9H734a5k&feature=youtu.be

TuFun
October 31st, 2017, 07:57
Got it myself before the coupon code expired... 30% discount! Impressive software!!!

Cirrus N210MS
October 31st, 2017, 08:31
here is my chase plane testing last night

https://www.facebook.com/MichaelWildcard9/videos/10212945938796822/

warchild
October 31st, 2017, 13:23
please keep up the demo's?? I'm loving what ll you folks are doing with this software..

YoYo
November 12th, 2017, 04:22
New update,

must try it, it looks like very nice tool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqfdyLolTTo

Edit.
but...
the price for camera 39$ upsss
https://fsfxpackages.com/en/ChasePlane/
the good level for this kind of program is 19$...

jeansy
November 12th, 2017, 04:32
for what it offers and the functions $39 is fair

roger-wilco-66
November 12th, 2017, 05:20
One of my best addons! :-)

cavaricooper
November 12th, 2017, 06:48
As an alternate viewpoint, I stayed with EZCA (EZ Dock Camera). That is not to suggest one is better than the other, just that this one works FOR ME.

https://www.flight1.com/products.asp?product=ezdockcam

This product has served me well since FSX, and whilst Marniftarr has had a few absent periods due to health issues, he is active and continuously developing on the forum now. The upgrade coupon was an added incentive, however, TBT I would have paid full price again- it's THAT GOOD (and THAT comprehensive). In fact, most of the issues on the forum are due to it's enormous customization ability.

http://www.simforums.com/forums/ezdok-beta-forum_forum40&SID=45532-4z5d56aea2b8f71ddb784479513889.html

For me, the better performance/less CPU utilization and stand-alone (no server connection constantly needed) capabilities of EZCA have tipped the decision in their favor. Each to their own.... YMMV.

Best- C

Naismith
November 12th, 2017, 10:09
One thing I greatly appreciate is that ChasePlane can read & use EZCA files (at the moment) which is a great leg up until the specific file is tweaked to suit.

DickB
November 18th, 2017, 01:51
Looks good. But still waiting for the promised offline solution.

DaveWG
November 18th, 2017, 02:02
The latest experimental version can be used off line.

DickB
November 18th, 2017, 02:29
The latest experimental version can be used off line.
So it is. That'll teach me to watch the whole video ! Thanks Dave.

DennyA
November 18th, 2017, 22:43
Watched a couple of the videos, but still curious: Do any of these mimic natural camera movements for external views? So that the panning and slight shakiness would actually look like real chase plane footage does?

gman5250
November 19th, 2017, 00:34
Watched a couple of the videos, but still curious: Do any of these mimic natural camera movements for external views? So that the panning and slight shakiness would actually look like real chase plane footage does?

All of the internal and external cameras have multiple, adjustable settings for X,Y,Z movement in 3D Space. They also have a range of dynamic movements for momentum, horizon orientation, vibration, weather turbulence and wake turbulence. There are also human adjustments for breathing etc.

For hand held or wing man vantage points I use those settings, and TrackIR in conjunction. The cameras work well with turbulence built into P3D, so in weather things can get pretty shaky if that is desired. The one thing missing is the natural movement of the wing man view, slightly up and down and side to side. That can still be done with key commands or controllers. Xbox controller is very good as a dedicated hand controller.

I'm able to achieve a completely natural camera effect for just about any perspective, inside or outside.

Naismith
November 19th, 2017, 09:52
Anybody else getting this crash. It knocks out my joystick panning in the VC but oddly not outside views. Happens in either FSXSE or P3Dv4

DaveWG
November 19th, 2017, 10:51
Yep, I'm getting that today. Worked fine yesterday. That's with the experimental build (0.4.73). The stable build works OK for me.

gman5250
November 19th, 2017, 11:05
Anybody else getting this crash. It knocks out my joystick panning in the VC but oddly not outside views. Happens in either FSXSE or P3Dv4

I get these occasionally. They usually resolve themselves very quickly or with updates from the developers. With this new release, I'm getting updates almost daily. These seem to address the short term bugs.

DaveWG
November 19th, 2017, 12:27
Keven has just pushed a new update (0.4.75) which fixed the issue for me.
Excellent support. :encouragement:

Naismith
November 19th, 2017, 15:05
Yes all fixed and on a Sunday to boot. Well done to them. :encouragement: