PDA

View Full Version : B-24 wip

jankees
October 8th, 2008, 08:06
The Alphasim forum is gone, so I'll post some shots here of the Alpha B-24 I'm currently working on, the "Lady be good":

S
October 8th, 2008, 08:55
Keep'em coming!

rsgunner
October 8th, 2008, 09:21
Very nice to see someone has taken the time to do the Lady Be Good.

Russ

Barvan40
October 8th, 2008, 09:21
Been waiting for that one Jan Kees! Looking good! :ernae:

Barry

Craig Taylor
October 8th, 2008, 09:25
Jan,

Great to get this news. I spent a few years in Libya as a child (my father worked in the oil business at one of the concessions down in the desert). The "Lady Be Good" was always on peoples' minds there since it had been "recently" (for that time) discovered after disappearing under mysterious circumstances. You probably have this (and hopefully with better resolution), which shows the name in cursive script running from lower left to upper right on the fuselage, beginning near the forward edge of the bomb bay. I believe it only appeared on the starboard side.

Cheers, and keep up the great work. It's very appreciated!
Craig
:ernae:

jankees
October 8th, 2008, 13:34
Jan,

Great to get this news. I spent a few years in Libya as a child (my father worked in the oil business at one of the concessions down in the desert). The "Lady Be Good" was always on peoples' minds there since it had been "recently" (for that time) discovered after disappearing under mysterious circumstances. You probably have this (and hopefully with better resolution), which shows the name in cursive script running from lower left to upper right on the fuselage, beginning near the forward edge of the bomb bay. I believe it only appeared on the starboard side.

Cheers, and keep up the great work. It's very appreciated!
Craig

Actually, I've found no evidence at all that there was any name on this aircraft...
but I did find that it was OD, and not the desert paint that's in the picture.
Any way, I still need to work on it a bit (not enough time at the moment), but rest assured, she will be finished.

BananaBob
October 8th, 2008, 13:37
Looks great Jan and love the shots too. :applause::applause::applause:

Craig Taylor
October 8th, 2008, 18:01
Hi Jan,

I've posted a link to some fairly recent pictures of what's left, unceremoniously dumped in the back yard of some "museum" in Libya, drug there by the Libyans to supposedly "protect" it from further looting. There isn't much paint left after decades of sandblasting, but some of the pictures, particularly the one of the vertical stabilizer at the top of the page, seem to hint at perhaps a desert tan application on top of the original OD - perhaps after it arrived in-country? I'm not trying to start an argument here, and I really appreciate the fine work you do. Just some food for thought (no pun intended :d.

http://www.montrealfood.com/lbgpics.html

S
October 9th, 2008, 03:11
Mal988 told me yesterday while flying online in Liberators that he'd love to be able to fly this particular plane. He told me it's entire and intriguing story and wondered why nobody repainted it so far.

So I told him about this work in progress. What an intriguing story. Thanks again for painting this one!

jankees
October 9th, 2008, 03:32
Hi Jan,

I've posted a link to some fairly recent pictures of what's left, unceremoniously dumped in the back yard of some "museum" in Libya, drug there by the Libyans to supposedly "protect" it from further looting. There isn't much paint left after decades of sandblasting, but some of the pictures, particularly the one of the vertical stabilizer at the top of the page, seem to hint at perhaps a desert tan application on top of the original OD - perhaps after it arrived in-country? I'm not trying to start an argument here, and I really appreciate the fine work you do. Just some food for thought (no pun intended :d.

http://www.montrealfood.com/lbgpics.html

I've seen those pics, but thanks for posting them. Amazing that apparently it's still lying there...
Anyway, what it clearly shows is the yellow serial on the tail. Desert camo aircraft generally had black serials, because the yellow wasn't visible against the lighter paint. Also, the OD paint was notoriously bad at keeping its color, a bit like some red paints on cars nowadays, so you'd expect a far amount of bleaching especially after all those years in the desert, so I think I'll stick to OD...

Craig Taylor
October 9th, 2008, 05:42
Hi, Jan,

I understand. This paint will probably push me over the edge into buying the A/C. You do brilliant work!

Craig

jankees
October 9th, 2008, 05:58
Hi, Jan,

I understand. This paint will probably push me over the edge into buying the A/C. You do brilliant work!

Craig

In that case, I'll do my best to push you over the edge...just a bit more patience

guzler
October 9th, 2008, 09:34
Jankees....

Stop talking and paint :d

jankees
October 9th, 2008, 12:38
Jankees....

I'm sorry, I didn't know you were THAT impatient....

OK, here you are then. The last flight of the Lady Be Good...

jankees
October 10th, 2008, 01:25
and I continue to work my way through the RAAF squadrons, here are A72-109 from the 7 OTU and A72-90 from no 23 squadron.

jankees
October 10th, 2008, 04:26
..and while in neighbourhood, I might as well continue with aircraft from the 380th BG. Here's "Toddy"

jankees
October 10th, 2008, 07:37
..a bit silly of me really, painting a72-109, when a72-176, also a 7 OTU aircraft, still exists (the only Australian B-24 to do so) and is even under restoration (check here: http://www.b24australia.org.au/ for details).
Fortunately, changing the numbers wasn't that difficult.
Wouldn't it be great to be able to see this again?

jankees
October 11th, 2008, 11:59
Jankees....

OK, here's two more, from the 451st BG: "42-KAY" and "Hey Moe"

jankees
October 11th, 2008, 23:19
Ha, I'm painting them faster than you can react:

Nick C
October 12th, 2008, 00:35
Great work Jan! I love the nose art on "Big Noise" :costumes:

S
October 12th, 2008, 02:48
Woohoo, so glad you got this model. Just installed the latest paints!

Nick C
October 12th, 2008, 05:26
Thanks Jan :applause::applause::applause: