PDA

View Full Version : Deception Pass

PRB
February 9th, 2009, 19:45
Glad the race is starting a week later than normal this year, otherwise I would almost certainly miss the start, for I am at NAS Whidbey Island, WA all week.

The flight out was amazing. Salt Lake City is always impressive to fly into, snuggled as it is between those mountain ranges. The final [air] destination was KSEA! I was particularly interested in what it would look like for real, having flown so much around that city in FS. As we approached from the east, we turned north to make a wide left-handed pattern to land on runway 16 (not sure which one now.) The down wind leg provided a spectacular view (from the port side of the plane) of Seattle. The final approach provided a more close up view of the city, but from the other side of the plane. I could easily pick out Boeing field, from the odd runway layout (two runways, one huge one tiny, parallel) only because of FS. It all looked exactly like in FS (imagine that!) except the textures were awesome, the mesh was fantastic, and no frame rate hit! Oh, and Mt. Rainier was spectacular! We could clearly see all three of the big volcanoes at one point, Rainier, Adams, and Hood. Awesome! We flew right past Rainier, pretty close, during the descent.

Then I had to drive to NAS Whidbey Island, located 100 miles (by car) from Seattle. There’s only one way on and off the island, and the bridge crosses a geological feature called Deception Pass. Wow! I’ll have to find that in FS when I get back!

I’m quitting job and moving here. It’s beautiful as heck. The locals here like to joke about how scare everyone away by telling them the weather is bad all the time. I think it was only a half joke!

srgalahad
February 9th, 2009, 22:38
I know the attraction Paul. I spent several summers sailing the Saratoga Passage and racing out of Oak Harbour. Now you MUST go down to Coupeville and have some mussels! ... and I could make longer list but the locals will make sure you don't miss out. Just too bad a week won't be enough to get across to the peninsula to chow down on some fresh Dungeness crab. That's why you'll go back.

Now, don't overindulge in work or play.. you have a race in 11 days :173go1:

Actually there are TWO ways to get to/from ... drive down the length o fthe island to Clinton, take the car ferry to Mulkiteo.. but.. but that's dangerous... the ferry docks and the road leads right past the Boeing plant at Everett/Paine Field and you'd miss your flight home...

Rob

fliger747
February 10th, 2009, 07:36
Deception pass is quite interesting, about a 10 knot current runs through there, with huge whirlpools! My trip got extended, so I may be quite spotty for the early part of the race!

T.

TARPSBird
February 10th, 2009, 09:53
Paul,
I was stationed at NAS Whidbey 1974-77. Washington is a great place to live but the winter months can get pretty depressing - lots of overcast, drizzle, and the occasional snow or ice storm. I was used to rainy seasons in the Philippines so I didn't mind it. :) If you're interested in military archeology (as in old coastal gun batteries) be sure to visit Fort Casey in Coupeville. Beautiful view of the Olympic peninsula from the fortifications.

AussieMan
February 10th, 2009, 15:34
My trip got extended, so I may be quite spotty for the early part of the race!

T.

Like Tom I am not sure of my availability. While we have had a cool change go through things are expected to heat up over the next couple of weeks. Added to this we are getting some massive thunderstorms with lightning strikes everywhere and being surrounded by forests ad National Parks we could be very busy with fires.

However having said that I will provide whatever assistance I can, especially with team flights.

Cheers
Pat

srgalahad
February 10th, 2009, 16:08
Paul,
I was stationed at NAS Whidbey 1974-77. Washington is a great place to live but the winter months can get pretty depressing - lots of overcast, drizzle, and the occasional snow or ice storm. I was used to rainy seasons in the Philippines so I didn't mind it. :) If you're interested in military archeology (as in old coastal gun batteries) be sure to visit Fort Casey in Coupeville. Beautiful view of the Olympic peninsula from the fortifications.
In Washington, you don't tan.. you rust

PRB
February 11th, 2009, 18:00
:Banane01:It was sunny today!!!

TARPS, I need to spend a vacation up here. No time for sight seeing this time around, which is a damn shame. I will probably be back when we make our final delivery in a couple months.

smilo
February 14th, 2009, 06:58
Paul,
actually, you can get off the island via ferry at the south end, a ferry to Port Townsend and the Olympic Peninsula out of Coupeville or Deception Pass.
did you notice the signs on the bridge sidewalks? it's a picture of a pedestrian getting hit in the head by a truck mirror! SERIOUS!!! I've driven a truck over there and it can be close.
take a look to the southwest and you should see Protection Island just off shore of the Olympic Mountains. scan a little more to the west at the base of the mountains. look real close and you will see :wavey:...that's me waving at ya! I live just outside of Sequim up in the foothills.
next time you come over, give me some notice and I'll show you around.

PRB
February 14th, 2009, 14:09
Smilo, I did notice how narrow the Deception Pass bridge is, but I didn't catch the signs about the truck mirrors! I'm pretty sure I'll be up there again in a month or so (or sooner...)

The weather in the area got me to thinking about what it's like for the navy pilots doing practice landing circuits all the time, as they do all day most every day at navy bases. Where I was stationed, at NAS Lemoore, CA, the weather is nice EVERY SINGLE DAY! From May to November, there is narry a cloud to be seen. It's foggy durring the winter months, but on foggy days they don't fly. At Whidbey, sunny clear days are probably few and far between. I'm told it's much nicer in summer, more so even than the stereotypical Seattle gloomyness, due to the fact that Whidbey is more north and gets a bit of a rain shadow effect from the surrounding hills. While I was at Whidbey this past week, there was practice circuits going all all the time, between the EA-6Bs, the EA-18Gs, and the P-3s (I even saw an EP-3, with all the antenna bulges!) Most times (from my hotel room) I couldn't even see the planes. I only figured out they were flying right over the hotel from the one clear day we did have and I saw them! Being in the training business, I wonder about the difference the two experiences have on training. Are the Hornet drivers at Lemoore at a disadvantage because the fly less in crappy weather?

smilo
February 15th, 2009, 17:36
you remind me of an experience about 20 years ago;
I was home taking care of my son. the pilots from Whidbey were fly low level practice runs around the Olympic mountains foothills. not a rare occurrence.
I was holding my son, looking out of our picture window when, I believe, and A-6 screamed over the house, extremely low. a short few seconds later, there was an explosion which shook the house.
apparently, the pilot had ejected and the plane went in about a mile away.
fortunately, no one was injured.