PDA

View Full Version : A Humble Request

falcon409
March 31st, 2017, 05:05
There is an airplane that I believe has been overlook and would be an excellent candidate for being developed, at the very least, as freeware. However I would gladly entertain a payware version as well as long as it wasn't from the A2A Stables. I am talking about the North American/Rockwell Sabreliner. The only one I am aware of that has been built for Flight Sim was done by Kazunori Ito.. .a fine model but lacks a VC. The airplane has seen a long and prestigious history as a proficiency trainer and Utility aircraft for the Air Force, Navy and Marines. Many were also produced for the Civilian market and I have personally seen several that were used as test bed aircraft for any number of oddities bolted to it's airframe. I think it would be a popular aircraft and so any developer who has nothing on their plate at the moment (I can't imagine there are any. . .but) give this airplane a look and see if it's something you can get excited about, enough to build it to completion.

I would make one other request. If you intend to chime in and post, please make it about this aircraft and not another you'd "rather" see developed. We've had more than enough of those wish list threads and I'd like to keep the focus on the Sabreliner. Thanks.

txnetcop
March 31st, 2017, 05:25
That would be nice. I had a close friend in the Navy that let me fly the Sabreliner he was PIC of, and it was wonderful experience. We had a six hour flight together and he showed me all the nuances of that wonderful aircraft. Unlike Falcon I would love to see A2A take this on...
Ted

falcon409
March 31st, 2017, 07:45
That would be nice. I had a close friend in the Navy that let me fly the Sabreliner he was PIC of, and it was wonderful experience. We had a six hour flight together and he showed me all the nuances of that wonderful aircraft. Unlike Falcon I would love to see A2A take this on...
Ted
My reason for not wanting A2A aircraft is that they have left me behind due to their pricing. They build exquisite aircraft but are far more detailed and system intensive than I require for my type of flying. I understand the increased prices, but they are no longer affordable.

Navy Chief
March 31st, 2017, 09:23
There is an airplane that I believe has been overlook and would be an excellent candidate for being developed, at the very least, as freeware. However I would gladly entertain a payware version as well as long as it wasn't from the A2A Stables. I am talking about the North American/Rockwell Sabreliner. The only one I am aware of that has been built for Flight Sim was done by Kazunori Ito.. .a fine model but lacks a VC. The airplane has seen a long and prestigious history as a proficiency trainer and Utility aircraft for the Air Force, Navy and Marines. Many were also produced for the Civilian market and I have personally seen several that were used as test bed aircraft for any number of oddities bolted to it's airframe. I think it would be a popular aircraft and so any developer who has nothing on their plate at the moment (I can't imagine there are any. . .but) give this airplane a look and see if it's something you can get excited about, enough to build it to completion.

I would make one other request. If you intend to chime in and post, please make it about this aircraft and not another you'd "rather" see developed. We've had more than enough of those wish list threads and I'd like to keep the focus on the Sabreliner. Thanks.

Ed, I echo your request. I only had a brief encounter with T-39s, which was a ride in one..from NAS Cecil Field to NAS Orleans, way back in 1984. Went to New Orleans Navy Manpower Center to assist in planning for needed manning of VFA-106, as it was getting ready to receive aircraft for the first time. The Saberliner is a super nice aircraft! And a quality freeware version would be most awesome! NC:encouragement:

Bushpounder
March 31st, 2017, 10:44
I agree - the Sabreliner would be nice. I think Mike Stone made one years ago. The other I would like to see is the Lockheed Jetstar. Both VERY cool aircraft.

Don

oldmsgt
March 31st, 2017, 10:53
Would love to see a good Sabreliner. Worked on one for 2 years at Hurlburt Field, FL in the early 70's. Flew on them more than once on hops from here to there. Truly a nice little jet.

The Old Master Sergeant

henrystreet
March 31st, 2017, 11:19
Count me as another arm chair pilot missing a T-39 from my hangar of US Navy trainers.

SSI01
March 31st, 2017, 11:53
As I recall a Sabreliner was Mr. Goldfinger's personal mount of choice, flown by Miss Galore of course. Belonged to "Auric Enterprises." All interior trim in gold.

Switchblade408
March 31st, 2017, 12:52
SSI01 that was a Jet-Star

txnetcop
March 31st, 2017, 13:47
My reason for not wanting A2A aircraft is that they have left me behind due to their pricing. They build exquisite aircraft but are far more detailed and system intensive than I require for my type of flying. I understand the increased prices, but they are no longer affordable.

I hear ya Falcon, I haven't bought anything from A2A for years...too expensive for a guy on SS, but a Saberliner I would save for!
Ted

Bjoern
April 1st, 2017, 12:36
Pitched the idea to Flysimware a few months ago, but got no reply.

In the meantime, you may daydream over this rendition:
https://www.cgtrader.com/3d-models/aircraft/jet/sabreliner-60-65-with-interior

Note, however, that a textured mesh doesn't mean that the model is ready for Flight Simulator. It lacks optimizations, animations, a working cockpit, sound and systems.

falcon409
April 1st, 2017, 12:51
Pitched the idea to Flysimware a few months ago, but got no reply.

In the meantime, you may daydream over this rendition:
https://www.cgtrader.com/3d-models/aircraft/jet/sabreliner-60-65-with-interior

Note, however, that a textured mesh doesn't mean that the model is ready for Flight Simulator. It lacks optimizations, animations, a working cockpit, sound and systems.
Thanks Bjoern, even as it sits she is a beauty. Daydreaming in progress, lol

Navy Chief
March 2nd, 2019, 13:31
Still holding out hope this will be done by someone! NC

Aircanuck
March 2nd, 2019, 13:41
Pretty sure if you scroll back a couple of pages in the forum, Aeroplane Heaven recently announced the production of a Sabre liner for FSX ...... long overdue in my books ! :applause:

heywooood
March 2nd, 2019, 16:39
like so...

https://digitalflightwire.com/aeroplane-heaven-announces-sabreliner/

heywooood
March 2nd, 2019, 16:43
she's no N3N...but I guess the early bizjets are alright..

THIS guy thought they were cool, and he was never wrong
https://i.imgur.com/bk5bmme.jpg

bazzar
March 2nd, 2019, 19:38
Ummm has anyone been to our place recently? Here's the original thread from January:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php/114279-Sabre-rattling

:engel016:http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=67778&stc=1http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=67779&stc=1http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=67780&stc=1http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=67781&stc=1http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=67782&stc=1

bazzar
March 2nd, 2019, 20:06
Sorry, just realised this is an old thread. Just ignore me and I'll go away...

FlyingsCool
March 2nd, 2019, 22:13
Sorry, just realised this is an old thread. Just ignore me and I'll go away...

It may be an old thread, but Navy Chief re-animated it. I'm sure he appreciates your pics...

Aircanuck
June 10th, 2019, 12:08
Time for a progress report ?

bazzar
June 10th, 2019, 15:39
The Sabreliner is progressing well but probably not in the direction some of you will like. After much thought and in light of recent anouncements etc. we have taken the decision to develop the NA Sabreliner for P3DV4+ only. This decision is not taken lightly but the workload in PBR workflow materials and techniques and the opportunites offered by the P3DV4+ simulator make better use of our time. We will not rule out FSX/P3D completely but it is looking unlikely.:engel016:

tgycgijoes
June 10th, 2019, 16:24
It is a shame that the many of us who still use FSX because we cannot afford to buy new computers to run LM V4 are being excluded by developers. Guess this is another aircraft I will not be adding to my hanger after waiting for it for so long. Am I upset? you bet.

bazzar
June 10th, 2019, 19:57
It has nothing to do with "affording new computers". My own computer is 4 years old and runs both FSX and P3D (oh and XPlane11) It is not high end and frankly could do with a refresh. However it will run P3DV4+ without incident now that 4.5 is patched, with several ORBX additions to boot. The point is, the simulation world is changing, much as it did when FS9 became FSX and people didn't like that either, maintaining that developers should support both platforms. The fact is that commercially, trying to build for several platforms is suicidal. Many devs will go this way as they realise the same thing - several already have. I have not at anytime said we would not build for FSX but with new sims on the horizon and P3D evolving the way it is, the writing is on the wall. To build a complex project like the Sabreliner for multiple platforms would see us asking prices that frankly, you wouldn't like either.:engel016:

wombat666
June 10th, 2019, 23:38
"It is a shame that the many of us who still use FSX because we cannot afford to buy new computers to run LM V4 are being excluded by developers. Guess this is another aircraft I will not be adding to my hanger after waiting for it for so long. Am I upset? you bet."

Progress happens and it waits for no man.
:pirate:

pilto von pilto
June 11th, 2019, 15:02
It is a shame that the many of us who still use FSX because we cannot afford to buy new computers to run LM V4 are being excluded by developers. Guess this is another aircraft I will not be adding to my hanger after waiting for it for so long. Am I upset? you bet.

You havent been waiting for it for so long. Baz posted untextured un-mapped renders 5-6 months ago. It is going well. I wonder if you really understand the timelines involved.

Peacemaker
June 12th, 2019, 03:44

If your PC runs FSX, it will run p3d.

P3d offers you much greater control over the sim visually, and is much more optimised even for "outdated" hardware.

Give it a try.

tgycgijoes
June 12th, 2019, 05:27
I have not been to their website in months. Certainly since they released their 4.5+. When I was there using their checker I was told I could only run V1, V2 and V3 NOT V4. By LM's software. I did not see the advantage of spending money for another 32 bit program that I could not see enough of a difference between FSX with orBX which I have a lot of.

If I can run it, I have Windows 7 64bit OS, I would certainly welcome its advantages providing that I can still run all the FSX add-ons that I spent much on. Thank you for your input and yes Bazaar I agree with you about price being way too much for people to want to spend being no advantage. IF many cannot run V4.5 though an alternative would be NOT one plane for multiple platforms but two versions if the market warrants much like back when there were FS9 and FSX versions of the same aircraft and in some cases still are. Thank you for your advice.

UPDATE: My laptop processor does NOT have the minimum requirements to run LM P3DV4. Their minimum processor speed they say is 2.2GhZ and mine is 1.70 GhZ. Since they have no trial period then this is a NO GO for me. Yes progress moves on and for me FSX it is to fly. Now if anyone out there is running P3DV4.5 on a 1.7GhZ processor I would love to hear here that you are successful because ALL my other specs meet their minimums to run.

pilto von pilto
June 12th, 2019, 15:14
I have not been to their website in months. Certainly since they released their 4.5+. When I was there using their checker I was told I could only run V1, V2 and V3 NOT V4. By LM's software. I did not see the advantage of spending money for another 32 bit program that I could not see enough of a difference between FSX with orBX which I have a lot of.

If I can run it, I have Windows 7 64bit OS, I would certainly welcome its advantages providing that I can still run all the FSX add-ons that I spent much on. Thank you for your input and yes Bazaar I agree with you about price being way too much for people to want to spend being no advantage. IF many cannot run V4.5 though an alternative would be NOT one plane for multiple platforms but two versions if the market warrants much like back when there were FS9 and FSX versions of the same aircraft and in some cases still are. Thank you for your advice.

UPDATE: My laptop processor does NOT have the minimum requirements to run LM P3DV4. Their minimum processor speed they say is 2.2GhZ and mine is 1.70 GhZ. Since they have no trial period then this is a NO GO for me. Yes progress moves on and for me FSX it is to fly. Now if anyone out there is running P3DV4.5 on a 1.7GhZ processor I would love to hear here that you are successful because ALL my other specs meet their minimums to run.

Ok I understand. You're running a laptop. Then sorry you arent going to be able to get p3d v4 to run at anything other than at a single frame frame rate. I have tried. I am running a 2.2 ghz laptop with a radeon 6600 M with 8gb ram. ( full disclosure I now run linux with xplane on it and rarely play x-plane, normally WH40k ) but I got 4 fps with our electra ( the stock one ) which is middle of the road and far lower spec than the sabreliner is going to be.

I dont think there are many that cant run p3d ( laptop users withstanding ). There are a few who dont want to, however (and this is going to sound harsh ) they are also not likely to want to spend the coin that a developer would charge. See even if it is for a previous simulator, the time/effort/skillsets required to make it will be the same - if not more - therefore the price will be the same as the P3d version. And there is this odd notion that because the sim is so old the pricing for addons for that sim should also be low. A bit like what is happening on steam right now with FSX:SE. The addons cost more than the sim and wow the community on there is certainly vocal about it!

So the return on investment is such that it simply doesnt make sense.Which is why i see FSX having a resurgence in freeware authors, like what has happened in FS2004. As payware devs switch focus more people come in to fill that vacuum. So in the end FSX actually starts to get more content and at a price point no-one can disagree with ! Win-win situation.

tgycgijoes
June 13th, 2019, 06:20
Ok I understand. You're running a laptop. Then sorry you arent going to be able to get p3d v4 to run at anything other than at a single frame frame rate. I have tried. I am running a 2.2 ghz laptop with a radeon 6600 M with 8gb ram. ( full disclosure I now run linux with xplane on it and rarely play x-plane, normally WH40k ) but I got 4 fps with our electra ( the stock one ) which is middle of the road and far lower spec than the sabreliner is going to be.

I dont think there are many that cant run p3d ( laptop users withstanding ). There are a few who dont want to, however (and this is going to sound harsh ) they are also not likely to want to spend the coin that a developer would charge. See even if it is for a previous simulator, the time/effort/skillsets required to make it will be the same - if not more - therefore the price will be the same as the P3d version. And there is this odd notion that because the sim is so old the pricing for addons for that sim should also be low. A bit like what is happening on steam right now with FSX:SE. The addons cost more than the sim and wow the community on there is certainly vocal about it!

So the return on investment is such that it simply doesnt make sense.Which is why i see FSX having a resurgence in freeware authors, like what has happened in FS2004. As payware devs switch focus more people come in to fill that vacuum. So in the end FSX actually starts to get more content and at a price point no-one can disagree with ! Win-win situation.

I was not very confident that all of a sudden V4.5 would be able to run any more than any of the other V4 versions of P3D. I hope that the freeware developers WILL step up and fill the void. A great example of a fantastic AND FREE addon a long time and much efforts in the making is Manfred Jahn and teams C47. It shows how very talented people can collaborate to produce fantastic addons for FSX that we who are tied to it from financial constraints can still enjoy super addons. I very successfully run Carenado addons on FSX with addon airports and still tolerable fps and no VAS problems at all on the ACER.
I was also able to run A2A unless we had 10-12 B-17s all at once in Join FS then I did get lags but they were overcome with the "Follow" just difficult to hold formation not any problem flying the aircraft. My laptop I feel is a great machine. Sure its 3 years old now but I'm a lot older than that. I have a pair of matched ones purchased when the old Dell desktop died with the purpose when I was teaching aviation using FSX (started with FS9) of two students sharing the cockpit with no equipment lags. Matched monitors too. It worked really great with the aircraft that co-operated.:loyal:

RKinkor
July 2nd, 2019, 04:25
Just as a heads up AF Scrub has released an FSX Native version of Mike Stone's T-39 over at Simviation this morning. Going to giver her a try here in a bit.