PDA

View Full Version : For our Australian contingent

Rami
March 27th, 2017, 08:39
G'day,

Are any of you out there in the path of Debbie? If so, I hope you can batten down the hatches and ride out the storm. Please check in to let us know you are well.

Daveroo
March 27th, 2017, 09:27
stay safe y'all

AussieMan
March 27th, 2017, 13:43
Fortunately I am nearly 3000 kilometres south of the storm but still have friends who live in the threatened area. Unfortunately we will get some of the off shoot of this storm. Rain depressions will move south dumping heavy rain all along the coast and for about 300 kilometres inland causing major flooding.

wombat666
March 27th, 2017, 21:43
We are well out of the way, but just like Pat, we have friends scattered throughout the affected areas.

In the last hour Debbie has been downgraded to a CAT 3 storm, which is small comfort.

The major cause of concern is the lack of movement, the Cyclone is virtually stationary and straddles the coast.

Thanks for your concern Team.

:encouragement:

Dangerousdave26
March 29th, 2017, 04:10
In 2005 West Palm Beach, FL spent 18 hrs in the heart of a Hurricane. I was not there for it but those who experienced it never wanted to do it again. It basically danced around them keeping them in the storm. Not a good time

SSI01
March 29th, 2017, 06:46
We remained on the island for Matthew, it passed about 70 miles to the east. Don't want to repeat that, either. We actually had no water damage but the wind was something else.

AussieMan
March 29th, 2017, 13:32
Once these cyclones cross the coast they usually weaken into rain depressions and weaken more as they move south but Debbie being named after a female is not co-operating. Normally people like me who live so far south of the original cyclone only get a small amount of rain, but not this time. We have a severe weather warning out for the New South Wales coast from the Queensland border south to past Sydney with strong winds and torrential rain which is normally unprecedented.

Rami
April 2nd, 2017, 01:40
Wombat666,

I've been keeping close tabs on what's been going on in Oz, and am really surprised at the track and outcome of this storm. While I agree with your premise question, let's not get into that in this thread; I posted this out of concern for you and other folks in Australia and don't want to see this degenerate into a divisive political discussion.

Meet me for a cup of coffee in the Admin forum. :wavey:

AussieMan
April 2nd, 2017, 02:10
I just posted a lengthy post on Facebook about the idiots that drive into floodwaters "because I have a 4x4" They don't think that under the water the road may be washed away or other nasties that could wreck their car.

Also the young teenagers and other kids actually swimming in the water. Water that actually contains raw sewerage and other nasties.

SPman
April 5th, 2017, 17:15
It seems the remains of Debbie have streamed across the Tasman and are now giving New Zealand a good soaking - floods everywhere.....

AussieMan
April 5th, 2017, 19:39
It seems the remains of Debbie have streamed across the Tasman and are now giving New Zealand a good soaking - floods everywhere.....

At least you Kiwis can't complain that Australia gives you nothing.

wombat666
April 5th, 2017, 20:50
Call it a fair exchange for the Kiwis that we find arriving in Oz.
:biggrin-new: