PDA

View Full Version : E8700 or Q9650?

Alexraptor
February 9th, 2009, 15:57
Hmmm this isnt an easy one.

Seems Intel is going to launch another Core 2 Duo processor, the E8700 which is rumoured to have a clock frequency of 3.5mhz, which will make it the fastest core 2 duo processor ever.

The question is, which would show the most benefit for FSX? the Dual Core at 3.5 or the quad core at 3.0?

harleyman
February 9th, 2009, 18:43
Hmmmm Thats a tough one......Very tough...

I would say this...And its safe...LOl

Core 2 for a streamlined FSX install

Quad for FSX full of Photoreal sceneries...(load times)and heavy iron

Thats actually very difficult to say.....The quad is just at that threshold of where FSX likes to be... The dual at 3.5 is there....

How safe was that.......?

But I have an E8600 and have run a Q9550 too......Honestly other than load times I can't tell much difference .... The E8600 is no slouch at loading too....

Bjoern
February 10th, 2009, 08:32
Go for the quad!

kilo delta
February 10th, 2009, 08:56
If you want a "fit and forget about it" chip go with the faster dual core processor. If you plan on overclocking, go with the quad. The latter option would be preferable as FSX can utilise multi core processors.

txnetcop
February 11th, 2009, 03:10
If you are going to OC it for FSX and other games go with the Quad, if you really don't want to OC you can use the E8600 or E8700 and get great frame rates. FSX shows very little difference with quad or Core 2 duo with the Penryn series. I've seen all the stats by Tom's Hardware and others-they are full of it:bs:
Ted

Alexraptor
April 17th, 2009, 10:33
Hate to revive an old thread but i just kind of wanted to confirm something...
Is it true that Quads practically eliminate blurries? Like the kinds you get when zooming across the scenery with a jet.

harleyman
April 17th, 2009, 12:47
The Quad does help...... But its not the Ultimate fix..Textures as of FSX SP1 will now load from the cores 2-3 of a quad..

But a good dual core will do as well IMO..Mine does..

The quads are great for multi-tasking and OCing....

Bjoern
April 17th, 2009, 14:16
Is it true that Quads practically eliminate blurries? Like the kinds you get when zooming across the scenery with a jet.

They help a lot, but as Harleyman says, they're not the ultimate fix.

But a good dual core will do as well IMO..Mine does..

A highly clocked 2Duo can do almost as much as a lower clocked 2Quad, but as soon as you get a good player from the quad department (Q9450 and up), the duals don't stand a chance.

The quads are great for multi-tasking and OCing....

Multitasking yes; OC'ing no. That's still the field the duals shine in the most.

Alexraptor
April 17th, 2009, 14:34
Basicly what im looking at is replacing my 3ghz overclocked E6700 with a 3ghz Q9650.
What im most hoping for is not really an FPS gain but greatly improved texure load time so i dont get blurred ground when flying low and fast lol.

harleyman
April 17th, 2009, 14:45
Then..Yes...Get the quad for sure........

The blurries if any can be addressed then...

stansdds
April 17th, 2009, 15:13
Basicly what im looking at is replacing my 3ghz overclocked E6700 with a 3ghz Q9650.
What im most hoping for is not really an FPS gain but greatly improved texure load time so i dont get blurred ground when flying low and fast lol.
I think you will see some improvement, probably nothing earth shattering. Now if you stick a decent cooler on that 9650 and overclock it I would expect some serious improvements with FSX. You will need to couple it with some really good RAM in order to get good performance from such an overclock. FSX seems to really need a CPU running around 3.6 GHz (or even more) to get really good performance.