PDA

View Full Version : I need some computer savvy advice...

ThinkingManNeil
March 16th, 2017, 10:09
...which really means that anybody and everybody here knows a helluva lot more than I do.

Here's the thing...

Back in the fall I announced here that I had replaced my then 7-year old Dell XPS PC with a new, high-powered, custom built rig. It worked fine, for awhile, but then after a week or so, it began to hiccup: screen went black then the system would re-boot, had a couple appearances of the BSoD, and then it crasd altogether, defaulting to the motherboard setup page. So back to the shop it went. Turns out the operating system hadn't been installed properly. Since getting it back a few weeks ago, it's been running fine, but I haven't installed FSX yet as I need to get a new joystick (next pa).

So my issue isn't with the new system, it's with the old Dell.

When I returned my new rig to the shop, I went back to using te old PC and it worked nominally, but then one day it crashed hard. I managed to get it running again, but when I went to log in to the Administrator account, it wouldn't recognize my password; all I'd get is the "The user profile Service service failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded" message. I could log in using a guest password, but almost everything I'd saved over the years on my PC was under the Administrator's account, and I couldn't access it, As a result, I can't transfer any of those files to my new system: my photography, music I've saved, writings, FSX aircraft and scenery files, research papers, the whole nine yards.

And before you ask, no, I don't have an external backup. I've not had the facilities for that, but I am going to put some money towards it for the new system.

So, is there a way I can get back into the Administrator account on my old PC?

N.

Butcherbird17
March 16th, 2017, 14:36
You can still access your user account thru File Explorer. You just need to open Explorer
then click on (C) drive, then Users, then (Your Name), and your Docs, Music, Pictures
etc. should be there. Then you can copy everything over to a flash drive to transfer to
your new rig.

Joe