PDA

View Full Version : Rick Pipers JetProvost in DX10 mode issue

Flapsfull
March 14th, 2017, 15:38
Hello everyone,

I recently re- discovered Rick Piper JetProvost Mk5 and tried it out in FSX SE in DX10 mode with Steve's Fixer installed.
Mostly it's working fine, however I 'm encountering the following issue in the virtual cockpit, the textures
for the cockpit window frames are invisible/ not being displayed:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=48322&stc=1

I know the aircraft was made long before DX10 became fashionable or should I say usable with Steve's fixer, but is there any way to make the texture display?
Something I tried was converting the original .bmp textures into dds, but so far this didn't fix it - it was something that worked with other aircrafts & undisplayed parts.

If it is related to the model I guess there's nothing that can be done about it, but maybe someone here know another trick to try.

Kind regards,

Oliver

DaveB
March 14th, 2017, 15:45
It was made long before DX10.. let alone before it was fashionable:biggrin-new: I'm sure Ed (falcon409) did a set of Hi-Res VC textures for it. Have you tried those?

ATB
DaveB:)

Roger
March 14th, 2017, 16:10
It may be some 8 bit textures in the model. The fixer tool box has an 8 bit texture search and fix utility.

DaveB
March 14th, 2017, 16:30
The textures in the texture folders all appear to be 16bit Roger.

ATB

Flapsfull
March 14th, 2017, 17:50
DaveB,

yes indeed, I did try Falcon409 excellent high resolution VC replacement textures for it, but unfortunately , the issue appears with
them as well.
Probably no surprise as I think his new panel textures are not covering this part of the model.

That is a big part of my problem here, I can't figure out which one of the textures contained in the texture folder is the one that making up the
inner frame of the virtual cockpit windows.

Strange too, that the bolts and the thinner black lining on the frame display correctly

Regards,

Oliver

ncooper
March 14th, 2017, 22:55
With all due respect, there are three 8 bit textures, at least in the copy I have downloaded.
I am sure there must be other copies without the 8 bit textures.

After conversion with the Dx10 Toolbox it looks like this.
The relevant texture seems to be panel.bmp and the other two are
FSDB_LE_pilotD.bmp and FSDB_LE_pilotS.bmp

https://s19.postimg.org/ul6jma8ib/2017_3_15_6_52_50_270.jpg

DaveB
March 15th, 2017, 00:17
Sri Nick, you're right. I didn't check the 2 pilots maps thinking they couldn't possibly cause the problem:dizzy: Problem sorted;)
ATB

Flapsfull
March 15th, 2017, 07:47
Nick,DaveB & Roger,

Thank you all very much for figuring out the 8bit texture issue! Don't think I would've
gotten there myself without your helpful input.
Now I can enjoy this fun classic trainer in full DX 10 glamour:-)

thank you,

Oliver

ian elliot
March 15th, 2017, 10:02
I did'nt know Ricks Provest work'd in FSX, i'm going to have to try it out :jump:

cheers ian

blanston12
March 15th, 2017, 17:21
How can I find this program you call "Steve's fixer"?

Roger
March 15th, 2017, 18:42
How can I find this program you call "Steve's fixer"?

It's here: https://stevesfsxanalysis.wordpress.com/how-to-purchase/

Only to be used if you use Dx10 preview mode in the FsX menu.

Naismith
March 15th, 2017, 23:34
I have 2 Provosts, One by Rick and one by UKmil. Are they one and the same. I ask because they visually look similar and there is no mention of Rick Piper in the UKMil documentation I have.

So I fired both up and clearly not the same.

Flapsfull
March 16th, 2017, 08:18
I have 2 Provosts, One by Rick and one by UKmil. Are they one and the same. I ask because they visually look similar and there is no mention of Rick Piper in the UKMil documentation I have.

So I fired both up and clearly not the same.

Interesting, about the UKMIL Provost. Does it have a panel 2d or 3d as well?

Regards,

Oliver

DaveB
March 16th, 2017, 08:50
The UKMIL model is a T3/4. Rick's is a T5. From a pilot who flew both.. the main difference is the T5 was noisier:biggrin-new:

There are differences of course, both internal and external but overall.. they're very similar;)
ATB

Naismith
March 16th, 2017, 09:47
Interesting, about the UKMIL Provost. Does it have a panel 2d or 3d as well?

Regards,

Oliver
I don't know as I never use 2D and that one didn't stay in the sim for long. RP's did, it just looks and is more refined IMO.

Flapsfull
March 16th, 2017, 12:23
Thanks Naismith,

I'll simply stay with Ricks Model then :-)

Oliver