PDA

View Full Version : Missing textures in Steam .....

Navy Chief
March 9th, 2017, 08:40
I don't know if I can get a answer to this, but here goes. I bought the Virtavia EA-6B (downloadable content) for FSX Steam. Cheap enough; less than $7. Anyway, none of the squadron textures are showing up at all. They all look like this. :dizzy: NC

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=48104&stc=1

flaviossa
March 9th, 2017, 09:02
Every DLC plane bought thru Steam doesnīt have any repaints. You have to download and install them by yourself using other sources. Something to do with copyrights rules that Dovetail Games follows.
Thatīs the main reason i donīt buy any DLC plane thru Steam.

Navy Chief
March 9th, 2017, 10:02
Well, that's strange, because I checked the aircraft.cfg file, and there are several squadron texture files listed, and all looks normal :dizzy: NC

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=48105&stc=1

PhantomTweak
March 9th, 2017, 11:29
Did you look at the aircraft.cfg to make sure the other textures have their own [fltsim.X] sections, and do they call out the correct texture.XXXXXXXXX folders?
Do the various texture.XXXXXXXX folders have actual .dds or .bmp files in them? There may not be many, with each just having the textures unique to that plane. The rest of them will be in the texture.shared folder. Or the texture.bump folder. Or both...
Do the texture.cfg files in each texture folder, assuming they are there, have the correct folder(s) called out as a fallback? From what I can see it should be the texture.shared folder, but I may be wrong. The texture.bump folder may be involved somehow...

Just throwing ideas out there...
Pat☺

flaviossa
March 9th, 2017, 16:00
Yes, the folders are there, but open the textures files inside the repaint folder and see if they represent any real squadron. I think it wil lbe only grey paints without any markings. The F16 that is sold in Steam as a DLC is the same. All the squadron repaint folders are there, but the texture files are only generic greyish ones.

Navy Chief
March 9th, 2017, 18:14
Yes, the folders are there, but open the textures files inside the repaint folder and see if they represent any real squadron. I think it wil lbe only grey paints without any markings. The F16 that is sold in Steam as a DLC is the same. All the squadron repaint folders are there, but the texture files are only generic greyish ones.

Yep, you are correct. I really, really like Steam, but this is a mistake on their part, not to explain the lack of textures for repaints in the listing for the aircraft. I had to find it out via Google Search. NC

dhazelgrove
March 9th, 2017, 23:31
If Virtavia hasn't changed the texture mapping from their earlier vanilla FSX offerings, you could possibly just drop the missing individual squadron texture files into their already-existing folders?

Both AVSIM and Flightsim (and Simviation) seem to have vary many options on offer.

Dave

fsafranek
March 11th, 2017, 14:10
Yep, you are correct. I really, really like Steam, but this is a mistake on their part, not to explain the lack of textures for repaints in the listing for the aircraft. I had to find it out via Google Search. NC
Your argument is not with Steam. It is with Dovetail Games (DTG). Steam is just a distribution mechanism for hundreds of game developers like DTG.

If you look at the images on the DTG sales pages of military aircraft you can clearly see the none of the aircraft have any national insignia, let alone unit markings. Having painted many of the schemes on Virtavia models available anywhere else and typically at 50% off it always makes me sad to see my work reduced to panel lines and a few warning markings on the copies sold via DTG.

But yes, any repaint available, including my own post release repaints (http://www.mirage4fs.com/Alphasim/index.html), will fit the DTG versions. Just keep in mind that the DTG aircraft are in a DLC folder and not under Simobjects.
:ernaehrung004:

Navy Chief
March 11th, 2017, 15:24
Your argument is not with Steam. It is with Dovetail Games (DTG). Steam is just a distribution mechanism for hundreds of game developers like DTG.

If you look at the images on the DTG sales pages of military aircraft you can clearly see the none of the aircraft have any national insignia, let alone unit markings. Having painted many of the schemes on Virtavia models available anywhere else and typically at 50% off it always makes me sad to see my work reduced to panel lines and a few warning markings on the copies sold via DTG.

But yes, any repaint available, including my own post release repaints (http://www.mirage4fs.com/Alphasim/index.html), will fit the DTG versions. Just keep in mind that the DTG aircraft are in a DLC folder and not under Simobjects.
:ernaehrung004:

Thanks SO much for your explanation. It's easy for me (and many others, I'm sure) to misunderstand about Steam & Dovetail Games. And thanks for the link to your repaints! NC