PDA

View Full Version : Wilco Harrier question

Flapsfull
March 5th, 2017, 22:43
Hello,

I thinking about buying this addon, ( I know there are more complex&better modelled versions by Razbam and SSW, but I'm specifically interested in the earlier versions of the Harrier/SHAR)
Overall it seems to have gotten rather good reviews, but some reviewers mentioned that even in version 2 the RMI , HSI and DME cockpit instruments didn't work correctly / were bugged and rather useless.

To those of you who own this aircraft, could you kindly tell me whether these issues were ever fixed or if you found any work-around for them?

Wilco support for the aicraft seems pretty non-existent so I thought I better ask here before buying.

Kind regards and thanks,

Oliver

fallenphoenix1986
March 6th, 2017, 10:32
I'm in the same position, would love to see a decent FRS.1 or FA.2. As it is however there is simply to much wrong with the Wilco offering for me to consider it.

*Sea Harrier with a Gr.3 pit, they weren't even similar looking.
*Completely wrong bang seat.
*Rather iffy looking sidewinders with no launch rails.
*Heard its a bugger to paint thanks to the way its mapped.

Some of the above I could perhaps learn to live with but the cockpit is a deal breaker for me.

Ian Warren
March 6th, 2017, 15:04
Hi Oliver, It is a lot of fun, I really - 'Well first' the nozzle and throttle control using the Saitek quad makes it so easy to put it anywhere , this is landing on skyscrapers to helipads in the wop wops , so simply and easy to control , ideal for me checking out scenery work that covers huge areas , then you have the fun of the deck carrier landings , not as fancy as the RAZBAM .. I only fly the GR-3 , the cockpit difference between the FRS is minimal , only a raised cockpit and viewing , I have not looked at the paint kit .. if anything only missed, was the USA's AV-8 or the GR1 .. I do recommend it simply for the VTOL control. :encouragement:

Flapsfull
March 7th, 2017, 08:36
Hi Oliver, It is a lot of fun, I really - 'Well first' the nozzle and throttle control using the Saitek quad makes it so easy to put it anywhere , this is landing on skyscrapers to helipads in the wop wops , so simply and easy to control , ideal for me checking out scenery work that covers huge areas , then you have the fun of the deck carrier landings , not as fancy as the RAZBAM .. I only fly the GR-3 , the cockpit difference between the FRS is minimal , only a raised cockpit and viewing , I have not looked at the paint kit .. if anything only missed, was the USA's AV-8 or the GR1 .. I do recommend it simply for the VTOL control. :encouragement:

Ian, thanks for your reply.For me, the cockpit similarity between the two variants is no problem, the VTOL integration sounds very good to me as well, however
could you do me a big favour and check wether the compass based instruments in the cockpit as the RMI and HSI work correctly and show the same heading up as displayed on the head up display's top?

This would be nice to know since I like to fly some IFR with it too.

Because even on this promotion picture from wilco's own webstore , the RMI on the left and the HSI on the lower right show totally different aircraft headings :
https://www.wilcopub.com/media/catalog/product/cache/5/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/h/j/hjj_32_2_1.jpg

(https://www.wilcopub.com/media/catalog/product/cache/5/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/h/j/hjj_32_2_1.jpg)

Thanks in advance and kind regards,

Oliver

DaveB
March 7th, 2017, 10:23
I don't think the nav gauges are completely sorted mate. I can't quite fathom what the dual RMI card is doing but the needles DO work. The heading hold knob works (moves) on the HSI (RH knob) but the LH knob appears to do nothing even though it has a grab icon when you move the mouse over it. The HSI card points to the aircraft heading. The DME gauge isn't the easiest to read and I couldn't quite tell if it was active. Because you can't actually read the nav radios in the VC, you have to use shift+2 to bring up what looks like the default 747 radio stack. As real as it gets!
Maybe Bazzar will jump in with a word or two as his lot made it;)

ATB
DaveB:)

Flapsfull
March 8th, 2017, 10:22
DaveB,

thank you very much for that info ! that is good to know. I'll ponder buying it some more I guess.Maybe I can ask Bazzar
about it too.

Thanks a lot,

Kind regards,

Oliver

delta_lima
June 19th, 2017, 09:54
Didn't want to throw the Screenshots thread with more verbage, but with Matt's new gorgeous paints, and having just discovered RCBarend's VTOL update (what rock was I under that I didn't know about that?? ) - I really want to get back into this model.

My remaining big issue is the glass, as see from within the VC. Quite milky. Has anyone toned that down? I'm happy with a bit of glazing, and would rather not remove it altogether so that it looks like there's no glass at all.

Ideas?

thx!

dl