PDA

View Full Version : object flow library update

dc10boy
March 5th, 2017, 11:18
Hi All, When I start FSX a box pops up asking me to update the object flow library.
I'm running ORBX global (pre-migration) with UTUSA for vector and landclass.
I really don't want to update as I'm still gun shy due to losing my FSX install for over a week due to the migration.
Is there a way to make this stop trying to update? I have product updates un checked in FTXcentral.
Stan

Duckie
March 5th, 2017, 14:29
It's an update generated for the ORBX Library. It will not go away until you update it. However, I don't know what will happen if you do since you are pre-migration. Maybe check the ORBX support forums or soem one here may have experience with the pre-migration situation.

Experienced this error when I migrated but after migration you just click yes to update and all is well.

MZee1960
March 5th, 2017, 14:43
Hi All, When I start FSX a box pops up asking me to update the object flow library.
I'm running ORBX global (pre-migration) with UTUSA for vector and landclass.
I really don't want to update as I'm still gun shy due to losing my FSX install for over a week due to the migration.
Is there a way to make this stop trying to update? I have product updates un checked in FTXcentral.
Stan

I'm in the same boat as you. I'm running FTX Central V2.1.6060 with Orbxlibs 160321 from March 2016. I never updated past these Orbxlibs as the next version had the 'migration tools'. I got the same popup yesterday and answered 'yes' to the update. If it means anything to you - 'nothing happened' inside my FSX as a result. From what I gather through Orbx forums, is they update their 'objectflow' files occasionally to keep up with new files coming into the picture with new scenery releases. The 'objectflow' refers to all the various 'animations' in their scenery packages - people, animals etc. moving about, and have nothing to do with migration of any files.

Please note, I am no Orbx scenery expert but merely just letting you know that nothing 'detrimental' happened to my FSX when I clicked 'yes' to get the 'objectflow' update.

On a side note, I believe enough water has passed under the bridge now for me to take the next step and update to Orbxlibs 160906 (I still have this one in my downloads folder - never installed it), do the file migration, then update to FTX Central V3 and let the new FTX Central then bring me up to date completely. Orbxlibs are cumulative, so if you skip a few and then go for the latest version, then you will still have all the updates. FTX Central V3 is also programmed to check for updates and also any missing updates will be uploaded as they are found.

My biggest issue is just finding enough free time to do the migration and update ATM. I usually opt to do some flying instead to fill in free time now and then, and keep pushing the migration to another day down the road, lol !

Cheers,
MZ.

dc10boy
March 5th, 2017, 16:02
Thanks MZ.
I would like to strongly caution you to at least back up your current Scenery and autogen directories at least and if able your whole FSX install before attempting migration.
Last summer I lost FSX for a couple of weeks and had to restore from backup, then reinstall ORBX global and shut off updates to stay pre migration.
After migration, my load times exceeded 12 minutes and my frame rates were cut in half. All textures went blurry. only restoration from backup fixed it.
The ORBX forums are still littered with reports of the blurries after migrations.

MZee1960
March 5th, 2017, 20:37
Thanks MZ.
I would like to strongly caution you to at least back up your current Scenery and autogen directories at least and if able your whole FSX install before attempting migration.
Last summer I lost FSX for a couple of weeks and had to restore from backup, then reinstall ORBX global and shut off updates to stay pre migration.
After migration, my load times exceeded 12 minutes and my frame rates were cut in half. All textures went blurry. only restoration from backup fixed it.
The ORBX forums are still littered with reports of the blurries after migrations.

Yes, for sure.
I am still quite hesitant to go past my current stage, but it seems that things will grind to a standstill as you need to update Orbxlibs with new scenery purchases ... so it's either 'stay put' and don't buy anything new, or take the 'plunge' and hope it all works out, then you're in a better position to make new Orbx purchases down the road. I have run into many situations where new Orbx downloads gave me some problems (didn't display correctly/fully) all because I did not update and run the Orbxlibs after download. Right now I can still wait as new purchases for me are not on the radar for at least a couple of months, but eventually, I guess I will have to take the 'plunge'.

I am also wondering if running a simple 'system restore' to pre-migration state would correct things back as they were should issues arise ? I am on Windows 7 ATM.

Thank-you, for the heads up,
MZ

fuzz1
March 5th, 2017, 21:32
I doubt a system restore would have the desired effect. About the only guaranteed way of ensuring a back-up to an existing pre-migration configuration is to image your drive with Orbx as it currently stands and should things go south, it would be easy to get back to where you were. Cheap insurance, when you think of it, compared to possible hours/days/weeks of troubleshooting and frustration.

expat
March 6th, 2017, 01:49
What is a good tool/method for imaging one's drive(s)?

dexthom
March 6th, 2017, 03:58
Lap Link Disk Image has always worked for me.

fuzz1
March 6th, 2017, 06:48
I use Macrium Reflect Free Edition. It has worked well for me.

MZee1960
March 6th, 2017, 10:19
Thanks for the tips and heads-up, everyone. I will check out Macrium Reflect Free to start with.

Cheers,
MZ

Navy Chief
March 6th, 2017, 18:47
Would someone please explain to me what this "Migration" thing is all about? :dizzy: NC

Penzoil3
March 7th, 2017, 01:01
In pre migration OrbX you had to pick Global, or a region - like North America or Oceania in FTX central. After the migration they have a unified landclass look up, so the selection of region is no longer necessary. Tens of thousands of us have migrated with no problem whatsoever.
Sue