PDA

View Full Version : Worrying article

IanHenry
February 9th, 2009, 11:54
I assume most people have seen this article over on AVSIM. It seems to sound the demise of Microsoft Flight Simulator as we know it.

The Facts Emerge - The future of MS Flight Simulation
http://avsim.com/images/common/sep_bar.gif
Posted: Sunday, February 8, 2009 - 20:01
There has been a lot of speculation, rumor and simple guesses as to what Microsoft is going to do with the Flight Simulator “enterprise”. Through a number of sources, some of whom are former ACES members, we have been able to get to the bottom of where our hobby is heading, at least as far as Microsoft is concerned. Our sources will remain anonymous, for obvious reasons. Here are the hard, cold, and very disappointing facts:

FACT: Microsoft Flight Simulator for the PC is dead. There are no plans to continue the FS series in a form that we would recognize. The wholesale dispatch of the ACES team speaks volumes to this.

FACT: ESP is dead. Boeing, Raytheon and presumably Northrop Grumman (ESP’s first adopters) received notification that the ESP franchise is done and that, in effect, they are on their own. We have seen some discussion putting hope in the emergence of ESP as the next "engine" for flight simulator. That is not going to happen.

FACT: Some developers in our hobby approached Microsoft to purchase the MSFX code. Microsoft rebuffed that offer in total. We presume that this is because having the FSX code out there would “diffuse” their future intent and model for a flight simulator “replacement”.

What is Microsoft’s future intent as regards flight simulation? Simple really… Create a flight simulation system for Windows Live, and sell applications for it much like Apple does for their IPhone / Ipod family. Third party developers will have to submit their applications, as do Apple developers, for approval by MS and they in turn would earn a percentage from the sales of those applications. Vendors that we have talked to are extremely upset about this. It also brings back memories of the infamous Papa Tango attempts to hijack freeware.

Imagine for a moment a “live” simulator that has as its core a “Flight Unlimited” like virtual world. You can fly around a very small part of the world in the default system, but to add to your simulation world, you have to purchase the additional scenery from MS. You want more than a 172, a Baron, or a 737? Simple, purchase it via the Live system.

Imagine for a moment the availability of liveries that would be made available. Without approval by the airlines, you can imagine the lack of variety in the “live” modeled aircraft. Under the present arrangement, freeware is seen as free advertising for the United’s, American’s, Lufthansa’s and others of the world. Insert the dollar into the equation, and it is reasonable to expect that our current arrangement with carriers would evaporate. Would MS consider providing freeware via its live system? Don’t hold your breath – too many liability concerns, copyright infringement risks, product support and management issues to take on for free.

What about VATSIM, IVAO and the plethora of other peripheral attractions that we now benefit from? Imagine paying to connect to VATSIM for an hour or two of supervised flight. Spend some time thinking about the ramifications of this, and it only gets scarier.

We have a simple new reality to face up to; Microsoft has changed their business model as regards the flight simulation genre and we are seeing the first steps of that new model taking hold. We can assume that a “live” version will entail online subscription costs per month or year, and additional add-on’s will cost us.

X-Plane anyone?
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p> </o:p>
Regards,
Ian

Warrant
February 9th, 2009, 11:57
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=10397

:):wave:

Kiwikat
February 9th, 2009, 12:02
X-Plane anyone?
<o:p></o:p>

No thanks... :wave:

deimos256
February 9th, 2009, 12:08
after spending quite some time with XP9 it has become worthy of my attention, and while FSX still has quite a bit of life left in it, i will have no issue switching to XP when the time comes, and along with that ill be switching over to a Mac, MS can get bent as far as im concerned

Kiwikat
February 9th, 2009, 12:10
after spending quite some time with XP9 it has become worthy of my attention, and while FSX still has quite a bit of life left in it, i will have no issue switching to XP when the time comes, and along with that ill be switching over to a Mac, MS can get bent as far as im concerned

Just don't install windows on your mac... ever

Every mac user I know seems to have a terrible tendency to do that...:caked:

Francois
February 9th, 2009, 22:23
Some people worry too much....... :friday:

chinookmark
February 10th, 2009, 08:38
The only thing I'm worried about is trying to reinstall FSX and not being able to reactivate it.

n4gix
February 10th, 2009, 08:43
"All this talk" is simply so much hot air!

There is absolutely no official information available on which to base anything more than "sandcastles in the air..."

All that is known at this juncture is:

1. Paul Lange, the former Lead Designer for FS11, has been re-hired by MS to head up a new team tasked with working on an "unannounced project" that is in some undefined way related to "what he was doing before."

2. Paul has hired two other former ACES empolyees to be on his new team.

That is all folks, there's nothing more which has been made public yet! :whistle:

It is perhaps "reasonable" to suspect that Paul's new team will be working on the next "flying game" as was alluded to in the official statement from one of MS's talking heads, but it is nonetheless simply a guess based on vague suggestions and hints. :gossip:

Marvin Carter
February 10th, 2009, 20:34
The only thing I'm worried about is trying to reinstall FSX and not being able to reactivate it.

This is my worrie also!!!
Marvin Carter

PhilTaylor
February 10th, 2009, 20:41
"All this talk" is simply so much hot air!

There is absolutely no official information available on which to base anything more than "sandcastles in the air..."

All that is known at this juncture is:

1. Paul Lange, the former Lead Designer for FS11, has been re-hired by MS to head up a new team tasked with working on an "unannounced project" that is in some undefined way related to "what he was doing before."

2. Paul has hired two other former ACES empolyees to be on his new team.

That is all folks, there's nothing more which has been made public yet! :whistle:

It is perhaps "reasonable" to suspect that Paul's new team will be working on the next "flying game" as was alluded to in the official statement from one of MS's talking heads, but it is nonetheless simply a guess based on vague suggestions and hints. :gossip:

agreed, see http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=10603 and a link to my latest blog post that says something remarkably similar.

n4gix
February 11th, 2009, 09:53
agreed, see http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=10603 and a link to my latest blog post that says something remarkably similar.

Thanks for the confirmation, Phil.

Yesterday, Tim (beatle) essentially confirmed/supported what I've been writing with regards to "Live for Windows..."

I'm not at all surprised though that folks more readily accept what you and Tim write, while poo-pooing and discounting what I write. After all, I'm just a very tiny fish in a huge ocean, whereas you and Tim are Tiger Sharks! :karate:

gera
February 11th, 2009, 10:38
hahahahah, some of you sound really scary.....I for one will continue to enjoy FSX, it has a loooooooooong life
ahead specially with more and more addons coming online almost every week. At the same time I am getting on with X-Plane which should be getting better as time passes. I have even started making scenery and adventure flights for it. Right now FSX is a few notches up from it but I sincerely thing the X-plane people have a Big and Wide opportunity Window to really convert it into an FSX and better that within a reasonable time......Doom Mongers, those that at this age and time beleive that "only tha Aces" could and can produce a simulator we can all like are as modern as "spoke wheels" or RCA Vitrolas!!!!!!!.....I can only see Opportunity as wide as the Grand Canyon!!!!!!!!!! and yes, I think that the Ace leader that went away for a "better and different" scenery should not stir so much smoke otherwise his pipe might burn out.---The Aces did a Great Job and we all can thank them for that but they are now history----life works that way, crying about spilled milk is not really anything that can help us . I rather dream than cry---So, I hope some good visionary forms the "King´s Team or Duces Team--and starts pumping out a XXI Century Flight Simulator for you, me and my grandsons----Maybe Flight Simulator " Sky Lord I" or "Flight XXI, The New Sky".....or whatever..........:amen:

shackleton_boy
February 11th, 2009, 10:47
http://hawxgame.us.ubi.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjxsMT1w3is

:woot::focus:

gera
February 11th, 2009, 10:50
http://hawxgame.us.ubi.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjxsMT1w3is

:woot::focus:

Your "example" should convince some that "anything is possible" in cyberspace---thanks for being a positive person, specially at your young age.:friday:At this bad times the world is going over, thinking positive and driving on is the only way that will recover what has been lost-----crying about the past is for loosers....................

shackleton_boy
February 11th, 2009, 10:52
hahahaha - hang on i need another beer before i read anymore about M$

crashaz
February 11th, 2009, 18:05
I'm past the anger. I just wish they would not call it a "flying game".... I wince everytime I hear that.:173go1:

GT182
February 12th, 2009, 04:12
More on TC H.A.W.K.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9N6BD-wgnow&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9N6BD-wgnow&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Looks like an Arcade to me. I don't trust UBI anymore.... they're copy protection "can" be detrimental to your pc.

I'll stick with FS9 And FSX. They aren't games.... they're simulators for the real world.