PDA

View Full Version : reducing size of autogen trees

ian elliot
February 25th, 2017, 11:32
Is there anyway of reducing the scale of Autogen trees, this has been a bugbear from the first day i installed FSX and now its really bugging me, im making up a WW2 era RAF Manston and the trees around the perimeter look huge against the scenery objects im using and ai aircraft, any ideas gents.

cheers ian

BendyFlyer
February 25th, 2017, 11:54
Ian not as far as I know, the objects size (the tree object) is set already. Your option is really to replace the default trees used with sets provided by a number of folks, there are a couple of freeware tree packages out there if you do a search and ORBX for example do a replacement set but that is part of the ORBX packages (FTX Global etc). I have both options installed and do sometimes see oversize trees but that is generally because of the tree objects used by an individual scenery designer. I also have reduced autogen density which seems to knock out a bit of the tree effect as well.

mooringj
February 25th, 2017, 12:00
Ian,

You can try FSX 'GenReloaded' Photoreal Trees by Adnan Arif (@flightsim.com, "Texture sizes reduced and tree
height adjusted to a more realistic setting) or TreeX by Aimé Leclercq.

Regards,

Jan

ian elliot
February 25th, 2017, 12:19
Thanks Jan, i'll have a look at those.

cheers ian

Daube
February 25th, 2017, 12:38
There is a small addon made on a french forum that will reduce the size of all autogen trees.
The file was proposed on a topic talking about autogen but the temporary link soon became obsolete.
Fortunately, I had a backup:
http://sapdaube.free.fr/veg_pt_taille.zip

It contains two BGL files that you have to place into the scenery\Global\scenery\ folder. Don't forget to backup the original files !!

Daube
February 25th, 2017, 12:41
A small warning though: because of the much smaller trees, the forest will look a bit less dense, because each tree will "mask" a smaller area of the ground (since it's become smaller...).
The autogen tweak TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_TREES_PER_CELL should compensate a bit.
On my P3D, I pushed it to 6000 (it's something like 4500 by default, I think...) and it gave good results. Autogen trees are not expensive on the FPS, fortunately :)

ncooper
February 25th, 2017, 14:51
Thanks for the files, just what has been needed for years.
I don't suppose they did one to reduce the autogen buildings too, did they?

ian elliot
February 25th, 2017, 15:15
The file's work great for me too, thanks Daube. Never had a problem with the building's myself, although i never care'd for the autogen in general anyway, its set always at sparce. but with these reducing file's, im a lot happier.

thanks again, ian :ernaehrung004:

COBS
February 25th, 2017, 19:11
Is there anyway of reducing the scale of Autogen trees, this has been a bugbear from the first day i installed FSX and now its really bugging me, im making up a WW2 era RAF Manston and the trees around the perimeter look huge against the scenery objects im using and ai aircraft, any ideas gents.

cheers ian

Tree and building height can be difficult to judge both in Real Life and the Sim , it might be well worth taking a series of actual height
measurements in the Sim .

I have a digital " Radar Altitude " readout in my F-111 panel , it reads 7' when standing on the runway .
I fly at the tree top height and hit " Pause " , then pan outside view to confirm aircraft to tree top relationship ,
then read the current Radar Altitude ( then subtract the 7' ).
When measuring high rise building I count the number of floors and multiply by 10' for each floor .

To date most trees and buildings seem reasonably scaled , I do find that in some places in Australia some trees are a little
on the short side .

It must be remembered that the Tree varieties in the Sim Library is limited .

Cheers
Karol

PS ; above procedure is much easier to do accurately if using a Helicopter fitted with a Radar Altitude .

ncooper
February 25th, 2017, 22:59
One can add AltitudeAGL= to any of the [TextInfo.*] sections of fsx.cfg and have the same
information at the top left of the screen.