View Full Version : Tahiti

astrojet
October 8th, 2008, 06:27
Out now at Aerosoft...

http://www.aerosoft.com/cgi-local/us/iboshop.cgi?showd480!0,5001298400,D10845

:jump:

S
October 8th, 2008, 06:54
Will be purchased as soon as I get my next paycheck! Just the kind of scenery that I like!

jdhaenens
October 8th, 2008, 07:20
Looks to be Post Card worthy to me.

Panther_99FS
October 8th, 2008, 08:42
DEFINITELY on "the buy" list :wiggle:

Dain Arns
October 8th, 2008, 09:35
Rats! Figures it gets released as I'm heading out of town right now, until Saturday. Grrrrr. Oh well, I'll have the Islands to explore this weekend. :costumes:

Gdavis101
October 8th, 2008, 13:04
Nice! Can't wait to get home!

CodyValkyrie
October 8th, 2008, 13:09
I'm about to test it. I really can't wait. I plan to utilize this and some other Aerosoft scenery in the Bushhawk video.... Hopefully it all turns out well!

CWOJackson
October 8th, 2008, 14:44
Sold.

MCDesigns
October 8th, 2008, 15:02
I'll have to get this also, looks great and great use of default objects with some custom objects and photoreal mesh textures thrown in.

hey_moe
October 8th, 2008, 15:24
Can someone tell me how it is on FPS....ME WAS A SUCKER LAST TIME :costumes: this time someone else can play the sucker..lol

JIMJAM
October 8th, 2008, 15:25
Awaiting some reviews!
I LOVED Islands of the West Indies. Combined with FScargo provided endless freight runs and island hopping.
I am just worried there is sure alot of water in betreen these inslands.
I bored with Megascenery Hawaii and Dilingham quickly.
Even with scenery maker and helicopters, just nothing to do.
Same with Moncaco and Helgoland.
Although Lukla still is one of my favorite sceneries.
Tahiti looks good but I need something to do other than look at water.
Maybe some topless girls on the beach to buzz would help:d
Just wondering.
They have had to had sold ALOT of downloads of Fscargo and it seems to be a pretty simple program.
Why had it taken 3 or more years to have a FSX version or has it been abandoned?
A random goal oriented ,mission generated freight, rescue, transort program would breath new life into FSX and I think sell very well.
Not the scripted junk but random pointt a-b ala Fscargo.
Sorry to venture OT but developers,we got eyecandy and we need something to do with it.

Railrunner130
October 8th, 2008, 16:25
I've been waiting for Moorea. This looks really good and the price is right. I haven't purchased scenery since Misty Fjords.

MCDesigns
October 8th, 2008, 16:32
Just wondering.
They have had to had sold ALOT of downloads of Fscargo and it seems to be a pretty simple program.
Why had it taken 3 or more years to have a FSX version or has it been abandoned?
A random goal oriented ,mission generated freight, rescue, transort program would breath new life into FSX and I think sell very well.
Not the scripted junk but random pointt a-b ala Fscargo.
Sorry to venture OT but developers,we got eyecandy and we need something to do with it.

It's coming!

http://fsaddon.eu/wpfsaddon/

JIMJAM
October 8th, 2008, 16:47
I dont want exclamation points!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I want FSCARGO:censored:
And while I am whining. I have loaded the new MCDIraq scenery.
My helis need TEETH!!!!!!!!
I wannt shoot and blow stuff up:censored:
Same with all my castrated warbirds:censored:
Ok enought !!!! and :censored: in one post.
Back to the lovely,peacefull, BORING:costumes: Tahiti.
Who I am I kiddin. Bet I will have it within 2 days.

Panther_99FS
October 8th, 2008, 17:37
Now that I've read the "fine print", I'm definitely getting it now! :mixedsmi:

Features:

Island-Hopping with tropical flair
All islands with detailed mesh
Many animations (birds, people, dolphins)
All airports and landing strips
Fully documented with all charts
Relatively kind on framerates

Islands:

Bora Bora
Huahine
Maiao
Manuae
Maupihaa
Maupiti
Mehetia
Moorea
Motu One
Raiatea
Tahaa
Tahiti
Tetiaroa
Tupai

Airports:

Faa'a, Tahiti (NTAA)
Fare, Huahine (NTTH)
Fetuna, Motu Nao Nao, Raiatea (NNAO)
Maupiti, Maupiti (NTTP)
Motu Mute, Bora Bora (NTTB)
Temae, Moorea (NTTM)
Tetiaroa, Tetiaroa (NTTE)
Tupai , Tupai (NTPX)
Uturoa, Raiatea (NTTR)

heywooood
October 8th, 2008, 17:51
hmmm...'relatively kind on framerates" will hold me off until the next generation heywooood rig is built...sorry to say.

Panther_99FS
October 8th, 2008, 17:54
hmmm...'relatively kind on framerates" will hold me off until the next generation heywooood rig is built...sorry to say.

I've a low end system - (AMD 6400X2 & NVIDIA 8600GT)

I'll let you know how I fare....:kilroy:

MCDesigns
October 8th, 2008, 18:02

looking forward to your feedback P!

Panther_99FS
October 8th, 2008, 19:25
Well let's see.....

I've only done 2 short flights but if you have a system comparible to mine, you'll have FPS problems in some areas...

-NTTB (No FPS problems at all)
-NTAA & NTTM (Avg about 13FPS)

Since I'm not a scenery designer, your guess is as good as mine as to why there are FPS issues. If you have Aerosofts German Islands, this performs "worse" in terms of FPS. And to top it off, what makes it so odd is that we have highly detailed scenery (Like Poland & Plum Island) that perform much better.

Oh well,
I'll check out the other airports either tomorrow or the next day :mixedsmi:

heywooood
October 8th, 2008, 20:03

Oh - I appreciate that Panther :ernae: ..your specs are similar to mine.

that was fast - and as far as the relative FPS impacts go, I'm sure I read on Phil Taylors blog a while back that some scenery designers were doing things without checking all of the SDK info or seeking references from ACES that others do...causing uneven performance in similar scenery packages...

I'll see if I can dig up those comments...

pbearsailor
October 8th, 2008, 20:40
This is a really special area for me as we cruised through here about 10 years ago on our sailboat on the way to a paying job driving a Twin Otter in Samoa.
Sure brings back some memories. Nice attention to detail, some interesting objects like airplane wrecks and campfires. Not nearly up to Bill's standards from Plum Island, but covers a big area. I'm happy with it.

Only real negative for me is the website says charts included, but I only find a link to charts online in the pdf manual. It'd be nice to have some charts to integrate into Aerosoft's FSMap. :redf:

No real frame rate hit on mine that I can see (6850 duo core and an 8800GT). :mixedsmi:

cheers,
steve :wavey:

Panther_99FS
October 9th, 2008, 03:38
Not nearly up to Bill's standards from Plum Island, steve :wavey:

Which brings up the question again of how is it harder on FPS yet less detailed? :isadizzy:

Epsillon
October 9th, 2008, 04:21
Which brings up the question again of how is it harder on FPS yet less detailed? :isadizzy:
Bill's talent probably :ques::ques::ques:

lucas81
October 9th, 2008, 06:20
Someone needs to check if it works in dx 10 without transparency problems. If not, you have the answer for the fps problems.
On the other side, the scenery can have many small and too detailed elements.

spotlope
October 9th, 2008, 08:09
Curiously, it seems to be constructed with a large number of default objects. I can't imagine how it'd be tough on frames unless the sheer volume of objects placed is starting to draw down performance. I'd have thought you'd need a lot more objects that are in the screenies to do that, though.

Lukasz is certainly right about the models; if they're created using FSX SDK-compliant methods, they ought not to cause much if any hit to frames.

Panther_99FS
October 9th, 2008, 08:49
- No DX10/VISTA preview here
- Yes there are quite a few default objects "here & there".....

But this performs at a lower level (FPS wise) than the German Islands scenery...

Weird..:isadizzy:

CodyValkyrie
October 9th, 2008, 09:04
To be quite fair Panther, the amount of Autogen on the German islands isn't anywhere as staggering as the autogen on these. Take a full island, with tons of mesh detail, add in some landclasses, custom water textures and a fairly detailed airport.

The framerates to me seem reasonable however, and certainly won't detract from me flying my bush planes in and around it. I really like the scenery personally. I have often considered a trip to Moorea.

Panther_99FS
October 9th, 2008, 09:40
So is it the water textures then? That's only major difference I see between this and other sceneries

CodyValkyrie
October 9th, 2008, 10:48
So is it the water textures then? That's only major difference I see between this and other sceneries
Not how I see it. Places like Lord Howe, etc, are basically models. They don't contain half the landclasses, autogen or elevation data nor do I believe the aiports are modeled quite the same. I think there is more hand placement on these airports.

I think what would be telling is to completely turn off autogen and lower mesh complexity. I'm curious how it would run then.

lucas81
October 9th, 2008, 11:02
I checked the screenshot on the Aerosoft website. It looks like that it is the number of objects what kills your FPS, Panther. They really put tons of the default library objects. Each object means separate 3D and (in some cases) separate textures. It increases the amount of scenery load very much. When I had single core Pentium and Radeon X1600 I had lots of problems as well, especially when there were moving objects. Also, I noticed that tropical trees are very dense even in the "normal" autogen. They eat FPS as well.

Crusader
October 9th, 2008, 12:26
Just had to take the LT(JG) new co-pilot on alittle tour of the island(Huanhine-NTTH). We managed to see a babe at the terminal and pissed some guy off on a cell phone and kicked up a hell of alot of sand . Seriously though I really like this scenery . I'm running a 6850 quad with an 8800 Ultra and FPS dip into the low teens close to the terminal at Tahiti but run fairly fluid . Mid 20's to 30's on Bora Bora which on my rig seem to get the best FPS's . After playing around on deck then take off a get alittle altitude FPS starts climbing alittle . My opinion : well worth the $20 and a definate keeper . Some place that I will hang out often . Come to think of it , that lady does look like Sarah Palen dose'nt see? No polilical intent here just an observation . :costumes:

Rich

Panther_99FS
October 9th, 2008, 20:32
NTTE isn't too bad on FPS...:mixedsmi:

Panther_99FS
October 10th, 2008, 18:31
I stand corrected from my initial assessment :redf:

NTAA is so far the only place (where I also took my first flight) that I have FPS issues.

One key thing that I like are roads/traffic. These are very nicely done & and you enjoy seeing folks drive to and fro while enjoying the scenery.

And although the manual recommends the 'Twotter, I find myself having the most fun with the ultra-light and slowly exploring what each island has to offer.

And at $20 bucks, it's still a deal :applause:

Panther_99FS
October 29th, 2008, 04:58
The update has been released:

A new update to V1.01 is available for Tahiti X.

As the update is only a few megabytes smaller then the complete version (work on the ground bitmaps was done)
we decided not to provide an update but only the full new version. So just download the product again and simply install it again.
The installer will offer to remove the previous version.

What's new:

* Improved framerates on Tahiti (including Tahiti Faa'a airport)
* Improved framerates on Moorea (including Moorea Temae airport)
* Improved framerates on Bora Bora (including Bora Bora Motu Mute airport)
* Changed water textures
* Improved elevation model in Maupiti airport

harleyman
October 29th, 2008, 05:10
I love this kind of scenery..I had a nice freeware for FS9 that was simular but not nearly as detailed...It just may need to get purchased.....:wavey:

limjack
October 29th, 2008, 08:00
I love this kind of scenery..I had a nice freeware for FS9 that was simular but not nearly as detailed...It just may need to get purchased.....:wavey:

ME TOO! Have been looking at this package and since I just downloaded FRENCH POLYNESIA TUAMOTU ARCHIPELAGO. Between these two packages I got so excited that I wanted to go there and I told the wife and started looking up prices for a trip to Tahiti and Bora Bora and stay in one of those shacks over the water:costumes:.

Jim

gera
October 29th, 2008, 08:21
Well let's see.....

I've only done 2 short flights but if you have a system comparible to mine, you'll have FPS problems in some areas...

-NTTB (No FPS problems at all)
-NTAA & NTTM (Avg about 13FPS)

Since I'm not a scenery designer, your guess is as good as mine as to why there are FPS issues. If you have Aerosofts German Islands, this performs "worse" in terms of FPS. And to top it off, what makes it so odd is that we have highly detailed scenery (Like Poland & Plum Island) that perform much better.

Oh well,
I'll check out the other airports either tomorrow or the next day :mixedsmi:

If some of the objects in the scenery have many polygons, are large or uses "action" effects your fps suffer.....try flying over Niagara falls and youŽll see......

CodyValkyrie
October 29th, 2008, 08:23
Thanks for the HU Panther. I'll be getting the update immediately.

harleyman
October 29th, 2008, 09:02
ME TOO! Have been looking at this package and since I just downloaded FRENCH POLYNESIA TUAMOTU ARCHIPELAGO. Between these two packages I got so excited that I wanted to go there and I told the wife and started looking up prices for a trip to Tahiti and Bora Bora and stay in one of those shacks over the water:costumes:.

Jim

Now there's a thought..Just go there for real..hey you can even get a island hopping tour maybe...

After i saw that it was updated already its mine.......:d

Thanks for the HU Panther....:applause:

Panther_99FS
October 29th, 2008, 20:02
Unfortunately,
Not much help for me (1.01)...:kilroy:

Anyone else faring better with the update?

CodyValkyrie
October 29th, 2008, 20:50
I noticed a small boost. Mileage may vary.

Panther_99FS
October 30th, 2008, 04:29
Oh well,
I fiddle around with it for a bit....

Probably will uninstall if I can't use it though....:kilroy: