PDA

View Full Version : Nitrous Oxide in FSX?

Navy Chief
February 21st, 2017, 07:02
I had printed out a list of keyboard commands for FSX (am going to try programming my X52 controller using Saitek software), and on the list I see "Nitrous Oxide".

Did a Google search, and apparently it is, or was?, available for the P-51, and one other aircraft? Have never used it, besides rarely ever flying the Mustang (already hearing gasps from all the P-51 drivers).

Just never heard of nitrous oxide in FSX, but it would be cool if it could be added to other aircraft for that extra "boost"!!!!!

:encouragement:NC

PhantomTweak
February 21st, 2017, 11:39
You can add a nitrous system to, as far as I know, any aircraft with a piston engine. Not turbine or turbo-prop.
Check out https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc526949.aspx#NitrousSystem . I think you need to add some entries to [piston_engine] section. Look at the menu at the top of the same page as I linked for the [piston_engine] section, and read through it for the boost entries to the mp. 3-4 lines to enter I rercall.
I am sure there are others much more knowledgable than I who can ring in with more information on this...
Pat☺

roger-wilco-66
February 21st, 2017, 11:41
I think that was for the Reno Racer part of FSX Acceleration, if I recall right.

I don't think that NOS was used in combat aircraft. Some engines, recip or turbine, injected a solution of water and alcohol (methanol).

[edit: I stand corrected. The germans used NOS in very high flying recce aircraft, and the british in some Spitfire and Mosquito night fighter variants]

Cheers,
Mark

jmfabio
February 21st, 2017, 13:34
I'd like to mix some nitrous oxide in with my fighters' oxygen. it would certainly make those long, high altitude patrols more pleasant :dizzy:. Heh heh!

joe