PDA

View Full Version : Is Wii worth getting?

Navy Chief
February 9th, 2009, 02:16
My wife wants me to get us a Wii console. We bought one for her son this past Christmas. I know nothing about them, really.

Are they worth spending the bucks for? I do all my gaming on my PC; never saw a need for a darn console game unit.

NC

Wittpilot
February 9th, 2009, 04:45
Chief,
Everyone I know that has one or who has plays it says thy love it... And it gets everyone inlvolved!! I think you would not be dissappointed...

Wittpilot
February 9th, 2009, 07:01
Oops, double post...

Snuffy
February 9th, 2009, 07:25
If all you want to do is game then I suppose its a good thing.

However I dare you to try and do something productive on one, like run a business or engineer parts and pieces for your next project ...

I'll stick with my PC ... consoles be damned.

Wozza
February 9th, 2009, 07:26
My wife wants me to get us a Wii console. We bought one for her son this past Christmas. I know nothing about them, really.

Are they worth spending the bucks for? I do all my gaming on my PC; never saw a need for a darn console game unit.

NC
Only if you have friends :)
Wii for ppl with friends
PS3 for loners with money
Xbox360 loners without money
Pc for loners who have a lot of friends on facebook :D
Wozza

OBIO
February 9th, 2009, 08:05
When the Wii came out and I saw some of the games advertised for it, I thought that the console was a total waste. But then, I got my mind changed. On Christmas day, my wife and I went to my in-laws for dinner....and afterward we went down into the rec room to play Wii. I had a blast. Got my wife one for Christmas....and we have a blast.

Wii is best when you have a roomful of people who are totally comfortable with each other and are willing to look stupid in front of each other. That is the fun of Wii.

Unlike PS2 and XBox, Wii makes you get off your butt and do something. Bowling, boxing, skiing, hoola hoops, lawn jarts, corn hole (a game where you toss a bean bag with the goal of getting it onto a slanted board for points...or through a hole in the board for big points)....the games on Wii are best played on your feet and moving. Wii Fit is a bundle that really gets you into the games. Hoola hoops....try that one....I rocked the heck out of that game and have 4 hoops going at one time.

If you like gaming alone, Wii is not for you. If you like having a roomful of family and friends together for plenty of laughs and fun...give Wii a shot.

I got a combat flight game for the Wii for Christmas...it's super lame...but then again it is strickly an arcade game...not a sim. Haven't tried any of the other games out for Wii...but you can play all of the Game Cube games on Wii...and can use the Game Cube controllers and memory cards with the Wii.

You plug a SD memory card into the Wii and browse photos, AVI movies, heck you can even customize your photos with frames and stuff using the Wii...haven't tried it yet...but that is one of the features available with the Wii...comes built in.

OBIO

Navy Chief
February 9th, 2009, 10:23
Thanks all. The lowest price for the console w/Sports seems to be set at $249. Shipping is offered free by Amazon. I am in no hurry to get one of these things though, mainly because I'm not wanting to spend the cash on more gaming equipment right now. I have more than enough for my PC system; granted, this is a different "animal", as it is interactive.

I did see Call of Duty for Wii though. Interesting.

NC

MaddogK
February 9th, 2009, 10:37
You'll want to drop the 5 bucks for the 'opera' web browser when you get your wii setup on the internet, as well as the logitech keyboard (about 40 bucks) so you can type, otherwise you'll be pointing and clicking to enter text with the 'light-gun'. I surf the internet, read my email, ebay, all kinds of stuff you can do with a PC, but don't try to download files. I like the mario karts racing game for 'entertainment' (online) as well as call of duty. My wife loves the wii fit package, gets her moving with the yoga app. It will play all the old gamecube games but you'll need gamecube controllers and memory cards (the wii controllers/memory card don't work with them), as well as 'wiiware'- online wii only offerings.

All in all not a bad investment, be prepared to be 'nickled-and-dimed' for the additional goodies (wired network interface, battery packs, chargers, controller attachments) but it's no substitute for a PC.

Gregory Paul
February 9th, 2009, 11:46
My kids love it. I do play it with them and find it fun.

Quixoticish
February 9th, 2009, 12:47
I picked up a Wii when they were first released but I ended up trading it in for a PS3 eventually. It just doesn't have much to back it up apart from the novelty factor of the control system, and there is a dire shortage of halfway decent games on it at the moment.

Admittedly it does get you up and moving around, but to be quite frank there is a whole world to explore outside the front door if you want to get up and move around. If, however, you want to play video games, it can be infuriating to have to wave the silly wii-motes around. In fact in some games they would be ridiculously easy with a normal gamepad or mouse/keyboard combo; using the wiimotes just makes some games harder than they actually are.

Wii Fit was the biggest gimmick of them all. I was talked into buying it by my better half and to be honest there is absolutely nothing on it that you can't do yourself in the comfort of your own home. It seemed utterly pointless after just a few tries and quickly ended up collecting dust.

hey_moe
February 9th, 2009, 13:56
Well I got one thing to say on that subject...everytime I go into a store that sells them there is always someone playing it or a group watching it. The Sony Playstation I brought isn't a Wii, but I like it...Mike :woot:

Wittpilot
February 9th, 2009, 14:56
Well I got one thing to say on that subject...everytime I go into a store that sells them there is always someone playing it or a group watching it. The Sony Playstation I brought isn't a Wii, but I like it...Mike :woot:

That's a good idea Chief..... Take a stroll into a Best Buy or the people you know that have one and giver her a nice little "test drive"... At least you will have a better idea if it is something that you would be interested in...

-witt

Navy Chief
February 9th, 2009, 15:15
That's a good idea Chief..... Take a stroll into a Best Buy or the people you know that have one and giver her a nice little "test drive"... At least you will have a better idea if it is something that you would be interested in...

-witt

Good advice. Now, if I can just get my wife to be patient, and wait!!!

NC

hey_moe
February 9th, 2009, 16:27
Chief....I hope for one minute you don't think we believe da wife-ee is wanting this...I think it is the other way and she is holding you back:argue:...lol go for it.

NC

Navy Chief
February 9th, 2009, 17:07
Actually, she IS the one who wants the Wii, because we got her son one this past Christmas. I have never even seen one before, other than a couple short youtube-type videos. I am quite happy with my pc games! I told my wife tonight that I want to visit a Best Buy, or similar store, and try a Wii. We could drive down to Marietta, GA, where her son lives to check it out, but I refuse to drive anywhere near Atlanta. I can't handle being in congested traffic anymore. Not if I have a choice.

NC

FlyTexas
February 9th, 2009, 19:59
Actually, she IS the one who wants the Wii...
NC

My wife also is the reason we own a Wii. She just had to have it after seeing our nephew playing a Wii last Christmas. We picked up the Wii just a few days ago. The Wii is great fun. As I write this post my arms are killing me from doing the homerun derby portion of the Wii Baseball game tonight. Man, I'm going to be sore in the morning. :d

Brian

GT182
February 10th, 2009, 04:57
My stepdaughter's family got one for Christmas when they first came out. We've only played Bowling on it with them. Sore arm after but I can say it was fun. I won't own one or any of the others.

PC games are getting expensive as all h3ll, so imagine how expensive the console games are going to be in the not too distant future. I'm into buying only the 9.99 and 19.99 specials now, and waitng for the prices to drop on others. :costumes: I guess that's a part of being on a fixed income. :redf:

Odie
February 10th, 2009, 06:50

NC

Also, NC, if you have a Sam's Club near you, check for their "bundled" Wii consoles that come with a couple of extras that you won't get with regular retail packages.

MaddogK
February 10th, 2009, 07:12
If ya think bowling or baseball kills your arms, wait until you've gone a few rounds in boxing, or a few hours swinging a sword. I picked up 'Red Steel' for 10 bucks and can't seem to put it down. Of course I said that about 'No More Heroes' when I fist bought it, but I can't wait for 'The Conduit' to come out later this year.

Wiens
February 10th, 2009, 07:18
NC,

Just go and get it already!!!

Our entire family plays/uses it when the weather is bad outside.

Kevin

Navy Chief
February 10th, 2009, 08:27
I will try one out at Wally World, next trip. NC

robconroy
February 12th, 2009, 15:29
I love my Wii!!! I lost 10lbs playing Wii Boxing! Guitar Hero 3 encouraged me to re-start learning real guitar because it is such good fun, my fingers are just about getting calloused enough to prevent pain....

It's a very immersive experience, the graphics might not be cutting edge, but they're not disgraceful & the playing experience makes up for it. And, most importantly, it is tremendous fun!

Just bought a Wii Fit board & Wii Family Ski for Mrs Rob (yeah, right!).

It is a very cool console

fsafranek
February 12th, 2009, 15:38
Yes. It's expensive but you might find some bundles at ebay that make it more affordable. My Ex got one last week and I set it up for her. She and out daughter have been playing on it several times since. It can be a good workout. I think it is definitely worth it but recommend a large screen TV to use it with (she got that).
:ernae:

MaddogK
February 12th, 2009, 15:55
The graphics on a large TV may give you a headache after a while unless you get the component video cable. It makes a world of difference, and worth the 30 bucks IMHO. I bought the wii winter sports game last week at circuit city, and the downhill skiing game will give you vertigo.