PDA

View Full Version : CONVAIR XF-92A [Project]

Mach3DS
February 14th, 2017, 06:08
Well, after much hesitation and deliberation ive decided to start the delta wing project. My entry into aircraft dev world starts the same way my expedition into texturing started....out of necessity! Other devs don't seem interested or are unable due to the nature of the business to take a project like this on. Which is understandable. I'm using Blender 2.77a. And as a test I've been successful in exporting to P3D so it's very encouraging so far! I have no time line, I'm learning as I go! The nice thing about this project is that it will be done at my own pace and will be a labor of love. I have a fond place for early jets and experimental aircraft. I hope to be able to make it with the same quality I attempt of put into my texture work. My first attempts last night:

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2596/32891850835_826d42e0d6_o.jpg

roger-wilco-66
February 14th, 2017, 06:15
Looks great! I'm sure you're going to hack that!

Cheers,
Mark

Dimus
February 14th, 2017, 07:03
Bold move Rick, but I must say, quite natural for you.

I have also made some first steps in understanding Blender, in order to move my scenery object modelling work from Sketchup. Very small steps though still. Good luck with it!

hairyspin
February 14th, 2017, 08:32
Always good to see someone else pick up the modelling baton! I'm sure you already know of the Blender forum at FSDeveloper, they're a helpful gang!

Naruto-kun
February 14th, 2017, 09:12
I started as a tester and ended up developer as well. And devs always make better testers....

Mach3DS
February 14th, 2017, 09:19
Feels like the natural progression JB! MV testing really brought me to this point. Really I blame Colin for this madness. It's his fault for letting me texture and do materials testing....LOL. ;)

Bjoern
February 14th, 2017, 09:35
Good luck and may your motivation never run out.

Mach3DS
February 14th, 2017, 12:10
Thanks guys. I'm motivated. I have a couple of mentors hat I'm consulting and who are very helpful. I have my own internal schedule but that won't ever be revealed....haha I'm not foolish enough to say it out loud!

Sundog
February 14th, 2017, 15:55
Outstanding choice! It's looking good so far. :)

Willy
February 14th, 2017, 19:46
Looking great Rick!! It must be something in the water around here. I've been following Milton's Gmax tutorials with an eye towards some Gee Bees.

Just out of curiousity, where can one find out about Blender? I've heard several people say that they're using it.

Flyboy208
February 14th, 2017, 20:20
What a cool project Rick !!! Mike :applause:

Mach3DS
February 14th, 2017, 20:25
Blender is free. Blender dot org I believe. There are many tutorials. I'm going through them as time allows and also just messing around. I also have a friend/mentor that Im doing video calls with helping me with blender. I have another mentor that has helped me through texturing. Not naming them right now. But both are superb people. Highly recommend a blender mentor if you can find one....I'm definitely not a blender guy yet. But I will be. It is very powerful. That screenshot won't be what I use as the final mesh. I've redone it several times just getting used to the app. Each time it's done faster. So I imagine that once I get used to the work flow, things will really start to move. It's that darn coding that will be my bottleneck!

Naruto-kun
February 14th, 2017, 22:40
Come talk to me when you are ready for programming....I had six of some of the best mentors you can get and enjoy getting new programmers on their feet.

Willy
February 15th, 2017, 05:26
Blender is free. Blender dot org I believe. There are many tutorials. I'm going through them as time allows and also just messing around. I also have a friend/mentor that Im doing video calls with helping me with blender. I have another mentor that has helped me through texturing. Not naming them right now. But both are superb people. Highly recommend a blender mentor if you can find one....I'm definitely not a blender guy yet. But I will be. It is very powerful. That screenshot won't be what I use as the final mesh. I've redone it several times just getting used to the app. Each time it's done faster. So I imagine that once I get used to the work flow, things will really start to move. It's that darn coding that will be my bottleneck!

It's good to have the assistance of someone who knows what they're about it. There's a couple of well respected modelers who have been very gracious with my "dumb questions". I try not to go to that well too often unless I'm stumped.

I downloaded and installed Blender last night. It's interesting and seems to have a lot more capabilities than Gmax.

Dutcheeseblend
February 15th, 2017, 11:52
Nice project and good start Rick, and a hearthly welcome to the Blender2FSX world. So fun to see many others starting this up. You know where you can find the Blender section at FSDeveloper?

Good luck, Daan