PDA

View Full Version : Gaming Laptop

Tom Burnside
February 13th, 2017, 15:46
Thinking investing in one. But before I do I want to know what are the do's and donts what I mean by this is what should I look for in such a thing.

fsxar177
February 13th, 2017, 17:08
When it comes to demanding things like FSX and P3D, there really isn't such a thing.

For sim use, stick with PC's. Bang for the $ is far better.

- Joseph

Jafo
February 13th, 2017, 17:34
https://www.pccasegear.com/products/36886?gclid=CO775O3FjtICFYVhvQodBkcC8w&gclsrc=aw.ds

Spend the money and you'll get a laptop that will play anything you throw at it.
That one will out perform probably 95% of desktops on the planet, if not more...;)

Edit....oh, and my desktop was about 2 grand dearer...;)

Victory103
February 13th, 2017, 18:44
Tom, due to overseas travel I went with a gaming laptop to take the hobby on the go. I've been running FSX on an ASUS G-series brand gaming laptop for years now. It's dated now, but can still run FSX and DCS well enough to have fun. At the time, the problem was finding a case/backpack big enough to carry this 17" brick. Mine wasn't $6k expensive, but I could've built a fast desktop for the price that's upgrade-able.

Besides basic specs to run your games, check reviews for heat, something these things are known for. I'm not worried about battery life running the sim, most of the time I've got power. I also had to keep my cheap joystick for travel, no way to carry the TM Warthog w/ CH pedals out. I'm in the market this year as well.

ColoKent
February 13th, 2017, 21:37
I'm thinking hard about getting an Origin EOS-15x, as I am a road warrior as well (but for P3D). Problem is that they do not have 2600 RAM at the moment, as they were studying some stability issues they are currently working through. Looking forward to comments on this topic in this thread.

kent

Naruto-kun
February 13th, 2017, 22:57
When it comes to demanding things like FSX and P3D, there really isn't such a thing.

- Joseph

Not quite hey. I have a MSI GT72 17 inch laptop with a GTX970M and a i7-4710HQ quad core CPU. It runs P3D and FSX SE better than my desktop at 1920x1080 with higher graphics settings.

AusWilko
February 13th, 2017, 23:26
I'm in the same boat, I spend 3/4 of my life away from home so a laptop is the only choice. Due to replace mine next time I'm back

strykerpsg
February 14th, 2017, 00:10
Tom,

Here's what I am using, Alienware 17 R3 with GTX980M graphics card, 32gb memory and twin HDD's. I have had absolutely zero issues running FSX-SE and DCS on maximum settings. Admittedly, I bought for my longer trips to play everything except flight sims, which ran beautifully I might add. When I am home, my R3 connects to a graphics amplifier that allows me to mate my laptop with a desktop GPU, thereby eliminating the need to upgrade the laptop for sake of an outdated graphics chip. The graphics amplifier allows you to use the current crop of Nvidia cards, such as the GTX 1070 and 1080's, as well as Radeon cards. Additionally, the GA acts as a docking station, where I have a keyboard, mouse and 4k monitor attached. Though your configuration if maxxed out kit wise can run upwards of $4000.00, you can get a great compromise for about $1900.00 and a GA for $200.00 that guarantee's a longer shelf life for the user. Your desktop GPU of course would run another few hundred dollars, depending on the model.

Here's the links:

AW17
http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/productdetails/alienware-17-laptop?~ck=mn
(http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/productdetails/alienware-17-laptop?~ck=mn)
Graphics Amplifier
http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/alienware-graphics-amplifier/apd/452-bcfe/gaming

wombat666
February 14th, 2017, 01:43

- Joseph

It really depends on your circumstances.
However, I doubt you can get a laptop that will run 3620x2030 at 160Hz........:encouragement:

Tom Burnside
February 14th, 2017, 04:02
Im not looking for something absolutely amazing just looking for something better then my Lenovo. Problem I'm having is when I first start it up and go onto FSX SE it runs slow then I restart it and it runs smoothly. I have Orbx England and thats the main problem majority of the time I look out the cockpit and everything is fine then Ill look again and it goes all blurry. So just something to handle that would be great.

Aharon
February 14th, 2017, 06:01
I have been using laptops to fly on FSX for past 12 years without problems as you can see from my screenshots in various aviation forums in the vast world of Internet.

I just got new powerful gaming laptop 4 months ago and faced one problem. It has so much fancy glitz features and options that I cannot figure out which is correct setting for FSX flying. It is like changing from simple car with simple gauges to hot rod racing car with tons of gauges that require specific settings.

At this moment, the king of laptops suitable for FSX flying is MSI company.

I am using as seen on this link:

https://www.msi.com/Laptop/GE62VR-6RF-Apache-Pro.html#hero-overview

This MSI has fancy cooling features with two powerful cooling fans and you can see the neat feature showing temperature readings of hard drive, laptop, and video card!!

I always use 15 inch screen which is good enough for me.

Good luck!!

Regards,

Aharon

Bjoern
February 14th, 2017, 09:36
HP Pavilion 15" with i7-6700, 8GB DDR4 @ 2133 MHz, GTX960. Slower than my desktop (i5-4670, 8GB @ 2400, GTX 1060), but for 950€, I can't complain. The no-nonsense design won me over from Lenovo

Spend the money and you'll get a laptop that will play anything you throw at it.
That one will out perform probably 95% of desktops on the planet, if not more...;)

Hey, at least the ugliness comes for free!