PDA

View Full Version : Royale French Navy F-8 Crusader Project

Flyboy208
January 31st, 2017, 18:37
Anyone have any updates concerning this RFN FSX version of The F-8 Crusader ? Mike :wavey:

StormILM
February 1st, 2017, 07:06
The last that I read (last November) is that the project is still moving forward with the exterior model being at 99% and the VC at 75-80%. So hopefully it won't be too much longer before we get an Open Beta mode to fly (similar to how the Etendard IV was released).

Flyboy208
February 1st, 2017, 18:32
Your reply is much appreciated Storm ! Mike :ernaehrung004:

StormILM
June 20th, 2017, 11:22
Just bumping this thread up to see if anyone from the RFN Team can give an update on the F-8 project as it's been a while since the last post here and over at the RFN F-8 page.

gribouil
June 22nd, 2017, 11:28
The project seems to be still alive but is moving slowly...
I'm pretty sure we'll be delighted when it's done!
Cheers,

Stéph.

fsafranek
June 29th, 2017, 07:28
Some of the folks working on certain parts of the project have been busy with the real world.
So moving at a slower pace at the moment. But it's a beauty.
:ernaehrung004:

gribouil
June 29th, 2017, 09:22
Good news Frank!
I'm sure we won't be disappointed... :ernaehrung004::running::running:

Navy Chief
February 7th, 2018, 17:25
Any news on the progress of this project? NC

StormILM
February 7th, 2018, 19:22
Last I read (recently) the project was shelved indefinitely. Sadly, I think that means that we will likely never see that F-8 come to fruition.

fsafranek
February 7th, 2018, 21:14
2018. That's all I can say.

Navy Chief
February 8th, 2018, 04:35

That is a LOT better than being shelved indefinitely! :very_drunk: NC

henrystreet
February 8th, 2018, 04:37
Woot!! Good news.

fallenphoenix1986
February 8th, 2018, 09:26

Glad to hear it, I'd went on some of the french forums recently to try and see if I could find anything and hit much the same conclusion as StormILM. Been long time coming but if its anything like the rest of RFN's releases then it'll be worth the wait.

Stefano Zibell
February 8th, 2018, 09:53
This is my favourite old fighter, and it's in good hands.

PhantomP
February 8th, 2018, 11:46
I think it's going to be worth the wait.:encouragement:

StormILM
February 8th, 2018, 12:54

Frank, that is certainly much better news than the last couple of forum posts I read on the development. This model has been in development since 2013 and after reading the post from last December 30th regarding the indefinite sidelining of the project, I had given up hope. I don't really use FSX much anymore but keep it for checking out any releases that will work in it. Fingers crossed.

gribouil
February 15th, 2018, 02:11

These are already great news!!! :ernaehrung004:
Cheers,

Stéph.

DC1973
March 15th, 2018, 05:24

Just bumping this as I was pencilling in a possible USN F-8 Crusader project for the summer after finishing my Reporter. Is that a reasonably "definite" case that RFN will be launching their Crusader this year? I have a couple of other possible projects in the pipeline that I can switch to, just wanted a little more confirmation before doing so. I'm developing a real interest in carrier aviation so if you could let me know, by PM if necessary, that would be fab :jump:

P.S. I did try to PM you several times but the forum seems odd with PMs and my screen keeps locking up when trying to type them.

fsafranek
March 15th, 2018, 09:06
Just bumping this as I was pencilling in a possible USN F-8 Crusader project for the summer after finishing my Reporter. Is that a reasonably "definite" case that RFN will be launching their Crusader this year? I have a couple of other possible projects in the pipeline that I can switch to, just wanted a little more confirmation before doing so. I'm developing a real interest in carrier aviation so if you could let me know, by PM if necessary, that would be fab :jump:

P.S. I did try to PM you several times but the forum seems odd with PMs and my screen keeps locking up when trying to type them.
First things first, if you're having issues with the forum contact "Dangerousdave26". They are on a funding drive right now
for the coming year so I would think this would be a great time to get their attention while they have their hand out.
(I'm having issues myself as I try to edit this response.)

I haven't asked specifically about there being a "reasonably "definite" case that RFN will be launching their Crusader this year".
My comment was based on it being used most of the time during beta testing of the just released P3Dv4 compatible RFN Carrier
gauge and future projects. And also from comments in emails. But that said, it will be a French F-8E(FN) and F-8P (Prolongé
or mid-life extension, not the Philippines version). Unknown if there will be an F-8J in the mix but I have seen evidence.

Speaking only for myself, but what would really be appreciated is a RF-8 recon version.

Bjoern
March 15th, 2018, 09:50

Trying to play catch-up with the RFN Crusader would be futile since, from what I know, the 3D stuff and almost the entire coding is done. It's just the fancy stuff like radar and I guess some beta testing that's holding things up.

Stefano Zibell
March 15th, 2018, 12:32
My heart jumps every time someone bumps this thread.

DC1973
March 15th, 2018, 14:05
@fsafranek

Many thanks for replying! It seems as though they're focusing on the French version with some expansion then, as a general rule. I'm on the fence at the moment, but I'd like to have a crack at the Crusader so I think I'm going to go for it. I already have a basic mesh in place so it's something to look forward to. I got all inspired by the Sim Works Studios Midway battle group recently and as the old Alphasim Crusader was the only game in town ( so I thought ) I picked the type out as my next project. The last gunfighter deserves a proper bit of updated freeware, right?

An R-F8 version eh? Couldn't hurt, could it? :biggrin-new:

Navy Chief
March 15th, 2018, 14:13
@fsafranek

Many thanks for replying! It seems as though they're focusing on the French version with some expansion then, as a general rule. I'm on the fence at the moment, but I'd like to have a crack at the Crusader so I think I'm going to go for it. I already have a basic mesh in place so it's something to look forward to. I got all inspired by the Sim Works Studios Midway battle group recently and as the old Alphasim Crusader was the only game in town ( so I thought ) I picked the type out as my next project. The last gunfighter deserves a proper bit of updated freeware, right?

An R-F8 version eh? Couldn't hurt, could it? :biggrin-new:

Yes!

If you need any closeup pictures, let me know. I can go to the Naval Aviation Museum and take some. NC

DC1973
March 15th, 2018, 14:19
Yes!

If you need any closeup pictures, let me know. I can go to the Naval Aviation Museum and take some. NC

Wow, cheers NC!! That would be awesome! Pam's already interested in doing the FDE. I'll finish the Reporter / P61C over the next month or so, and then start gathering material. :ernaehrung004:

Sundog
March 15th, 2018, 16:36
Count me in for an RF-8G, specifically, but any RF-8 would be fine. I've always thought it was the best looking Crusader and have wanted one for a long time.

expat
March 16th, 2018, 02:29
The RF-8 variants have a very different forward fuselage shape, something no one has I think tried to tackle maybe since the Alphasim one before Carl Edwards' later FS9/FSX version. Agree it would be a great addition!

warchild
March 16th, 2018, 06:34
yeahh, i noticed that Expat. I'll have to try to get as exacting of a measurment on the intake as i can to adjust for intake volume if its needed. The smaller diameter cone with the camera in it shouldnt have too much of an effect on the flight characteristics, but there is weight there, wherein the standard nosecone theres only empty space with a massive radar behind it ( I think,, need to research it all ).. I've got a new printer coming to print out blueprintts so i'll be able to get correct measurements and finding out what cameras were on the plane and getting the data on them shouldnt be too hard.. Hopefully, we'll be able to make this an accurate and enjoyable aircraft to fly for everyone..

llanning08
March 16th, 2018, 09:39
There do not seem to be any early model F8U Crusaders (save for Alphasim's RF-8A). It would be nice to see an F-8A (318 built), an F-8B (130 built), an F-8C (187 built) or F-8D All weather version (152 built). Of the total 1219 Crusaders built, these early models were 65%, or 787 aircraft of the series.

TARPSBird
March 17th, 2018, 04:37
On the RF-8G photo bird the only optical device in the nose is the pilot's viewfinder lens assembly. All four camera stations are in the fuselage. I did two tours in Light Photo Squadron 63 (VFP-63) and between us and our shipmates from VFP-62 there is a lot of tech support available for anybody who wants to make a photo bird. Both RF-8A and RF-8G versions in one package would be the way to go.

dhazelgrove
March 17th, 2018, 05:14

There's a lot of AI available, though. Michael Pearson's offerings.....

Dave

Navy Chief
March 19th, 2018, 07:06
Wow, cheers NC!! That would be awesome! Pam's already interested in doing the FDE. I'll finish the Reporter / P61C over the next month or so, and then start gathering material. :ernaehrung004:

Headed to the museum today to take pictures of the Crusader; LOTS of them! I will check my email in a while . Let me know if there's a specific area you are wanting pictures of. Again, I won't be able to gain access to the cockpit. NC

gray eagle
March 19th, 2018, 07:23
Headed to the museum today to take pictures of the Crusader; LOTS of them! I will check my email in a while . Let me know if there's a specific area you are wanting pictures of. Again, I won't be able to gain access to the cockpit. NC

Hi Pete,

The one F-8 in there from VF-24, I worked on 65/67 time frame as a BB-stacker. It was a F8-C - no hard points on the wings = no bombs to hang.
The F-8 E did have wing hard points as our sister squadron (VF-211) did; We called them "Brand X" :)

DC1973
March 19th, 2018, 11:39

Sorry for not replying sooner NC, been hard at work and not visited the forums! Any images you can grab would be fantastic! :)

warchild
March 19th, 2018, 12:06
On the RF-8G photo bird the only optical device in the nose is the pilot's viewfinder lens assembly. All four camera stations are in the fuselage. I did two tours in Light Photo Squadron 63 (VFP-63) and between us and our shipmates from VFP-62 there is a lot of tech support available for anybody who wants to make a photo bird. Both RF-8A and RF-8G versions in one package would be the way to go.

excellent information TarpsBird.. and very much appreciated..
I cant help but wonder if theres a way Dean and I can make that viewfinder work in P3D??
Pam

fsafranek
March 19th, 2018, 12:11
How about starting a new topic since this has nothing to do with the original post?
That way if can be collected and more easily found down the road.

TARPSBird
March 19th, 2018, 13:25
excellent information TarpsBird.. and very much appreciated..
I cant help but wonder if theres a way Dean and I can make that viewfinder work in P3D??
Pam
I am not familiar with all the wizardry involved in animation, but it would be quite a challenge. For 1950's electro-optical technology the viewfinder was a pretty clever piece of gear. The moving lines of the "traveling grid" were adjusted so they were in sync with the ground movement under the aircraft. That set up your cameras to compensate for the motion of the aircraft when the pictures were snapped. I recall the lines got larger and moved faster as they moved down the viewfinder lens. Cycle rate of the camera was set depending on how much overlap of the images you wanted. Usually it was 60% overlap for good stereoscopic viewing. If it's possible to animate the viewfinder, I know guys who can help. :encouragement:

warchild
March 19th, 2018, 14:01
I am not familiar with all the wizardry involved in animation, but it would be quite a challenge. For 1950's electro-optical technology the viewfinder was a pretty clever piece of gear. The moving lines of the "traveling grid" were adjusted so they were in sync with the ground movement under the aircraft. That set up your cameras to compensate for the motion of the aircraft when the pictures were snapped. I recall the lines got larger and moved faster as they moved down the viewfinder lens. Cycle rate of the camera was set depending on how much overlap of the images you wanted. Usually it was 60% overlap for good stereoscopic viewing. If it's possible to animate the viewfinder, I know guys who can help. :encouragement:

Could you plase cros post this over the the RF-8 thread that Dean just opened please?? I dont have the power to move it there..

fsafranek
March 19th, 2018, 18:39
Could you plase cros post this over the the RF-8 thread that Dean just opened please?? I dont have the power to move it there..

Copy and Paste into a quote?

sparouty
March 20th, 2018, 14:23
Hi guys,
I'm aware that the RFN project didn't progress well these last months... real life took me away from the keyboard for too long...
Since the begin of 2018, the lights went to green and I 'm finishing to install all my modeling and coding tools in a brand new computer!

I'm very confident in being able to work again on the Crusader project very soon!

At this point I have a F-8E(FN) with an exterior model finished at 98%, and a VC at 75% .
The F-8E(FN) is the French version based on USN F-8E, enriched with enhancements that did the F-8J later.

I have also a USN F-8E exterior model done at 95% without any wing loads. I don't have enough material to build a VC different from the French one, but the project is still not yet finished...

Regards,
Sylvain

Stefano Zibell
March 20th, 2018, 14:28
hi guys,
i'm aware that the rfn project didn't progress well these last months... Real life took me away from the keyboard for too long...
Since the begin of 2018, the lights went to green and i 'm finishing to install all my modeling and coding tools in a brand new computer!

I'm very confident in being able to work again on the crusader project very soon!

At this point i have a f-8e(fn) with an exterior model finished at 98%, and a vc at 75% .
The f-8e(fn) is the french version based on usn f-8e, enriched with enhancements that did the f-8j later.

I have also a usn f-8e exterior model done at 95% without any wing loads. I don't have enough material to build a vc different from the french one, but the project is still not yet finished...

Regards,
sylvain

yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesssssss

warchild
March 20th, 2018, 20:21
Hi guys,
I'm aware that the RFN project didn't progress well these last months... real life took me away from the keyboard for too long...
Since the begin of 2018, the lights went to green and I 'm finishing to install all my modeling and coding tools in a brand new computer!

I'm very confident in being able to work again on the Crusader project very soon!

At this point I have a F-8E(FN) with an exterior model finished at 98%, and a VC at 75% .
The F-8E(FN) is the French version based on USN F-8E, enriched with enhancements that did the F-8J later.

I have also a USN F-8E exterior model done at 95% without any wing loads. I don't have enough material to build a VC different from the French one, but the project is still not yet finished...

Regards,
Sylvain

Well, I for one feel quite honored to be working on an F8 project at the same time as you are doing one. This is a perfect opportunity for us to give the community, something they so vary rarely get. life does from time to time, take us away from the things we love, but i know we'll all pull through on this and make our projects something very special for all..
Pam

gribouil
March 21st, 2018, 07:25
Hi guys,

Regards,
Sylvain

Hi Sylvain,
What good news these are!!!
Bon courage pour le reste du projet, je suis sûr qu'il va être au top!
Cheers,

Stéph.

Sundog
March 24th, 2018, 12:49
Awesome French F-8 demo video; although it will make you appreciate how much digital technology has improved amateur video making capability. The sounds are really great as well, especially during the high speed passes.

https://youtu.be/sZN-0Y3icAY

fallenphoenix1986
July 29th, 2018, 11:02
Stumbled accross a little gem on youtube and reminded me of this bird:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgY8Va4ZDzw

Thought it might be of interest to those keeping an eye on the Cruz.