View Full Version : PMDG Queen of the skies V3 released

jeansy
January 31st, 2017, 15:58
As the title suggests

The 3rd version of the classic 747 has been released

https://www.precisionmanuals.com/index.html

Ian Warren
January 31st, 2017, 16:58
YEP! .. I'll be saving for this now , a whooping Great $186.00NZ , it would have to be a goodie , you would wanta make sure you live in it for the next two years:encouragement: , after all its not an UGBUST , it is the true 'Queen of the Skies' :adoration:

Portia911
January 31st, 2017, 17:59
Awww - when I read 'PMDG' I clicked quick thinking this might be their DC-6 release . . .

roger-wilco-66
January 31st, 2017, 21:10
Awww - when I read 'PMDG' I clicked quick thinking this might be their DC-6 release . . .

LOL same here. I've been waiting for that a long time.

Cheers,
Mark

manfredc3
January 31st, 2017, 21:13
Just got home from work, and found this message. What a great end of the day.

Purchased and downloading as I type this :redfire:

Peg o my heart
January 31st, 2017, 21:49
Queen of the Sky-rocketing price:encouragement:

scotth6
February 1st, 2017, 03:41
Fair enough it's a top product, but I find it unbelievable the amount of people on the Avsim/PMDG forums thanking and KTA of PMDG for their "Ultra reasonable" and "cheap" pricing. There were actually people saying that it should cost more. Lets see if the all the other aircraft developers start following suit again.

I felt embarrassed for these people when I read those forums today. I wish I hadn't.

wombat666
February 1st, 2017, 04:47
Couldn't agree more, especially when the A$ is struggling to stay at around US$00.75.
Throw in the Banks 'Overseas Transaction Fees' (aka 'Theft') and a US$100.00 aircraft works out to somewhere North of A$140.00 ............... this is just an update of an elderly (albeit good) product.
I'd be sorely tempted if this were a DC6 or DC7 but not for another bloody B747.
:redfire:

jankees
February 1st, 2017, 06:48
I agree, the DC-6 would have been interesting, but a 747? I don't think I have ever flown one in FS...

Montie
February 1st, 2017, 07:25
At that price (P3D) it has to wait a bit.

Spikehughes
February 1st, 2017, 16:12
At that price (P3D) it has to wait a bit.

Yes .. $185 NZ Dollars .. that is kinda in the gasp range of an occasional flying hobby. So its a detailed Simulation highly accurate and fully 3D rendered - Great. Good for training except very few professional pilots are going to be using this as a training tool given most airlines have retired or are retiring their 744 fleets. So who is it aimed at .. clearly the heavy hobby enthusiast who wants a near as possible full simulation of what it is like to fly a real 744. Unless money is no obstacle,you get the one version FSX or PD3. for me that would mean FSX Acceleration version, but if I upgrade to PD3 I would need to pay over again if I finally bite the bullet and port from FSX to PD3 (which I have yet to do).. So for me this is sadly a no buy at the moment as much as I would enjoy flying it. A real pity PMDG financial returns modelling didn't suggest a lower price point entry to sell a lot more of them ... just saying

Meantime, back to giving the iFly 747 serious consideration once more... sigh.

jeansy
February 1st, 2017, 20:56
I was able to have fly with it and also having the Ifly version for me there is a huge different between the 2, there are lots of little things that completes the pmdg version and makes it so much superior

its always the case with pmdg,
1, theres many people who will throw money at them without a second thought,
2, theres others who want and buy but then eat 2 minute noodles for the next month
3, theres others who want but cant afford,
4, theres others who have no interest in them and then
5, theres others who detest them

well thats the case with any other developer

I still recall the amount of butt hurt when orbx released ftx global at $100AUD but people got over it and all you hear is praise for the addon and in several months all you will only the positive things and people say its worth every cent, but for now, people are still trying to get over the shock of the price

However one thing i might want to mention PMDG are one of the only few devs who have publicly stated that when v4 of P3D comes out you wont have to buy a new lic, unlike orbx who have said you will, imagine all the customers who have bought nearly every product bitch when they have re purchase them again for v4

for me, if the product is of that higher caliber, meh I will do what i will have to even if it means if i drive like a little old lady to save on my fuel in order to save a few extra bucks to pay for it

one thing i do feel with addons like this and its price, it doesnt help the anti piracy cause, all ready on the facebook sim groups kids are already asking where to find the torrents and share sites......

Penzoil3
February 1st, 2017, 21:11
How so Matt ?

John Venema (http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/profile/2-john-venema/)

Orbx CEO

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/uploads/monthly_2016_11/5825c5801df3f_JVProfileBW.JPG.cba6717604a2e321a3a6 330fa16dea62.thumb.JPG.634158e23a16672751ca54e424e 7ab4b.JPG (http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/profile/2-john-venema/)
Administrators
http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/uploads//team_admin.png
23,234 posts
Order #:Staff

ID: 38 (http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/127868-emerging-platforms-pricing-policy-2017/#comment-1152131) Posted January 22 (http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/127868-emerging-platforms-pricing-policy-2017/?do=findComment&comment=1152131)

Some very welcome news about moving your Orbx investment to P3D v4 is coming. Let me just say you will all be very pleased.

jeansy
February 1st, 2017, 21:11
Couldn't agree more, especially when the A$ is struggling to stay at around US$00.75.
Throw in the Banks 'Overseas Transaction Fees' (aka 'Theft') and a US$100.00 aircraft works out to somewhere North of A$140.00 ............... this is just an update of an elderly (albeit good) product.
I'd be sorely tempted if this were a DC6 or DC7 but not for another bloody B747.
:redfire:

and less, yesterday paypal's exchange rate was only $00.7288 from memory it totaled about $185AUD while its still sting both wallet and the mrs, im happy

jeansy
February 1st, 2017, 21:18
How so Matt ?

ID: 38 (http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/127868-emerging-platforms-pricing-policy-2017/#comment-1152131) Posted January 22 (http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/127868-emerging-platforms-pricing-policy-2017/?do=findComment&comment=1152131)

Some very welcome news about moving your Orbx investment to P3D v4 is coming. Let me just say you will all be very pleased.

hell knows where the post went, it was posted here at SOH late last yr as a quote in one of the "road map" posts i clearly remember the words to the effect of "you had a good run" when it referred to v3 and v4 lics it was posted around the same time the paypal issue post surfaced, like you im banned from the main forums so I cant have a look for the original post

however with that post you made, they may have reconsidered since and maybe offering a reduced price now

***however the only thing i found was this from a jan post

On a side note: future updates to make the Orbx addons compatible with new (versions of) sims (like P3D v4, DTG) won't be free anymore. It depends on the product if you have to pay for small fee or repurchase the entire addon.

scotth6
February 1st, 2017, 22:53
Yes ORBX have definitely stated in the past that the run of free upgrades, as they did with all versions of P3D was over after the P3D V3 upgrades. That being said, they also said about 5 years ago that they were never going to have another sale and they were never going to develop an international airport. I for one am quite happy they changed their stance on these two statements.

Sue's post above is the first I had heard of this, but it seems unclear what this actually means. It does sound like a P3D V4 upgrade will either be free or cheaper than first thought.

Re PMDG and the new 747 V3, I am a fan of PMDG aircraft. I have the FSX 747, and that is one reason I won't be rushing to get the new one. I did just buy the 737NG for P3D, and the Aerosoft Airbus, and have actually been flying the Airbus flat out lately.

For FSX I have the PMDG 747, MD-11, Jetstream 4100 and the FS Labs Concorde, all of which have only left the hangar on rare occasions, so I definitely feel like I need to get much more use out of these products before I update to the newest 747.

I do understand the buzz surrounding the 747's release, as it has been talked about for years, and I understand people wanting to rush out and get it. What I definitely don't understand is people congratulating PMDG on their price like it is a feature of the aircraft, and people implying that it really should have cost more. Maybe they were all just expecting $200?

wombat666
February 1st, 2017, 22:57
One thing i do feel with addons like this and its price, it doesn't help the anti piracy cause, all ready on the Facebook sim groups kids are already asking where to find the torrents and share sites......

It was already up on one site yesterday.

I've always kept a watching brief for anything FS that's been ripped, saved a number of Devs some aggro several of times.
:encouragement:

Spikehughes
February 2nd, 2017, 01:38
[QUOTE=jeansy;1065169]I was able to have fly with it and also having the Ifly version for me there is a huge different between the 2, there are lots of little things that completes the pmdg version and makes it so much superior ..QUOTE]

A little off topic, but Jeansy if you can be bothered putting together a small argument either way I would appreciate knowing just by how much PDMG 744 V3 exceeds the iFly 747 V2 ..

Cheers

Spike

Penzoil3
February 2nd, 2017, 16:16
http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/129935-will-orbx-products-work-if-p3d-goes-dx12-64-bit
(http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/129935-will-orbx-products-work-if-p3d-goes-dx12-64-bit)
This says different guys. According to JV just an objectflow update. Knock on wood, that means OrbX for P3D 4 is a freebie!
Sue

jeansy
February 2nd, 2017, 19:45
http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/129935-will-orbx-products-work-if-p3d-goes-dx12-64-bit
(http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/129935-will-orbx-products-work-if-p3d-goes-dx12-64-bit)
This says different guys. According to JV just an objectflow update. Knock on wood, that means OrbX for P3D 4 is a freebie!
Sue

yep knock on wood, however im still cautious as its says "nothing will change", for me i take that as there will still be an upgrade cost noting how many times hes has posted there will be additional costs for v3 to v4,

until he officially posts "there wont be any extra costs , I will continue to take it as there will

orbx like every other company are in it for the money and thats understandable, freebies dont pay employees and bills

Mejborn
February 2nd, 2017, 23:27
135,- $ for a flightsim addon hahahahahahaha:biggrin-new::biggrin-new::biggrin-new:

Something like a year ago I stopped buying flightsim addon. I decided to wait untill the 64 bit thing starts. Well it seems like we have to wait a good long time before we get 64 bit flightsims.
BUT... never has my flightsim experience been more creative. I started making my own photoscenery, later on I found free or cheap autogen addons, I have made my own little airfields, some that had been left out from FSX/P3D. I have found a lot of very nice freeware aircraft and I have even dusted off some of the old payware aircraft addons I had, remembering that what matters is a good FDE and a good VC.
I have stopped using my Orbx scenery because I found them boring, repetitive and way to far from reality. I use some of their little airfields on top of my own scenery, but in general, Orbx doesnt really interest me anymore.

So, it has all ended up being for the better and I doubt that I will join the 64 bit show when it starts. Its going to be expensive with a new PC and a lot of new addons + my own creations will maybe be useless in a 64 bit environment.
My flightsimming now is more relaxed (after all its just a simulator) and I feel better than ever because i dont have to think about money and I dont go around feeling bad after having bought an expensive addon that was not up to its price.

I was a very possitive experience to drop out of the commercial flightsimming world and honestly, flightsimming nowadays is way to commercial.

ce_zeta
February 3rd, 2017, 00:29
Mejborn, There are exist flight simulators in 64 Bits. It's called X-Plane (http://www.x-plane.com/). With a modern engine, better default scenery and much better flight model.
Try the demo of XP11. It was released as Open Beta, son still some things in XP11need to be polished by Laminar Research.

Mejborn
February 3rd, 2017, 01:31
ce_zeta, thanks for the headup and sorry for being an ignorant.
I actually have the X-plane 11 demo. It looks promissing, but as you say it needs some polishing. Water and sky are some of the things. Besides that, X-plane 11 has a lot of potential but I´m also sure that with scenery addons and high-end aircraft addons, it would have to buy a new PC to enjoy it. Espeially a lot of ram and an absolutely top graphics card.

I will wait with a new flightsim, and have fun with what I have. And by avoiding 135,- us-dollar addons (and 25 - 50$ as well), I can allow myself to change to a 64 bit sim one day in the future with a new PC and all that is needed.

Have fun.

neucoas
February 3rd, 2017, 09:44
Just wanted to say that you don't need, in my experience, a NASA computer to run XP11 decently. I have an old i5 3470 and a RX470. I run the sim at high settings.

Have a nice day! :wavey:

Mach3DS
February 3rd, 2017, 12:06
Mejborn, There are exist flight simulators in 64 Bits. It's called X-Plane (http://www.x-plane.com/). With a modern engine, better default scenery and much better flight model.
Try the demo of XP11. It was released as Open Beta, son still some things in XP11need to be polished by Laminar Research.

X-plane flight model is not "better". It's different. Blade element theory is nice, but it also loses feel in translation. FSX/P3D is actually superior in many ways. At the end of the day, describing physical flight in mathematical terms are a mamoth proposition. In order for blade element to work it must make certain assumptions and take specific liberties. Compiling in real time fluid dynamics is frankly insane. Even the best most ROBUST CFD models don't have enough data points to qualify as authoritative. Xplane IMHO lacks in control. Just as in RL aero design, there's a trade off of performance cash in order to acheive a mission objective.

ce_zeta
February 6th, 2017, 02:00
Mejborn, There are exist flight simulators in 64 Bits. It's called X-Plane. With a modern engine, better default scenery and much better flight model.

X-plane flight model is not "better". It's different. Blade element theory is nice, but it also loses feel in translation. FSX/P3D is actually superior in many ways. At the end of the day, describing physical flight in mathematical terms are a mamoth proposition. In order for blade element to work it must make certain assumptions and take specific liberties. Compiling in real time fluid dynamics is frankly insane. Even the best most ROBUST CFD models don't have enough data points to qualify as authoritative. Xplane IMHO lacks in control. Just as in RL aero design, there's a trade off of performance cash in order to acheive a mission objective.

Nice Red Herring. Yeap, that's the purpose of engineering, deliver the best solution at the lowest cost. Every day in any field of engineering we must make (reasonable) assumptions and use simplified models in order to operate properly and not only in aerodynamics. Also not only due to the complexity of the problem, there are some differential equations which we do not know how to solve it, so we need to make aproximations. But that's bad? see around you. I Think that our assumptions and simplified models (and also Scientific and trial & Error methods) works very well. In some fields we use too the safety factor and statistics due to the uncertainty implied. (It's hard to believe for some people the terrific uncertainty we must deal each day in geoscience).

Yeap, X-plane Flight model is different from MFS Flight Model. And of course, it's better than MFS Flight Model. Why? 'cause it's a closer aproximation to reality than MFS old flight model. You cannot deny it if you tested the same airplane in both Flight simulators. And talking about choppers...MFS is very very bad (gladly HTR comes to rescue us). X-plane is better but still very simple. We must go to DCS (where the guns and rockets makes pim pam pum) to find a decent Helicopter flight model. UH-1 and Mi-8 are delightul but still not perfect (perfection is an illusion). X-plane model is real? Nopes, and never will. 100% in engineering doesn't exist. We can obtain closer aproximations but we cannot obtain a perfect model, a perfect solution. Not only 'cause complexity and resources required as I wrote. But it doesn't mean that all models are entirely wrong. Simply there are farther or closer aproximations.

For this reason some hardcore addons in MFS use an external Flight model..'cause one of the poorest features of MFS is the flight model meanwhile one of X-plane strengths is the flight model (still in evolution in each version). I am thinking in the Majestic Q400 which uses JSBSim Flight model...although JSBSim is a great Flight model, still have serious flaws...For example Q400 can reach more than FL300 but it's still far better than obsolete MFS Flight model.

Each Flight simulator has strenghts and weaknesses. We do not need to deny common sense facts.

ColoKent
February 7th, 2017, 09:58
Okay...took the plunge (in P3D)...and I LOVE this airplane. It flies like a big Cadillac. Well done, PMDG!!! Now...where is that DC-6 for P3D...

Javis
April 20th, 2017, 09:01
90 dollar for the new 747 FSX version, 135 dollar for the P3Dv3 version.

What do i miss if i buy the FSX version ? (couldn't find anything about the difference between the FSX and P3D version at the PMDG 747 forum..)

Anybody knows ?....

Thanks!

manfredc3
April 20th, 2017, 09:53
Don't have P3D, but I don't think you will be missing anything functional. Just better visuals, like texture/reflection/shading and lighting.

I purchased the FSX version, and it is working great on FSX boxed as well as FSX SE. I am loving it.

blanston12
April 20th, 2017, 14:39
I think PMDG has fallen into the software pricing model of.

price = (Amount of money we want to make) / (number of copies we expect to sell).

If the size of the market keeps decreasing and they want to make the same amount of money then the price has to go up.

Javis
April 20th, 2017, 18:59
Thanks, Manfred !

Don't have P3D, but I don't think you will be missing anything functional. Just better visuals, like texture/reflection/shading and lighting.

But does that warrant the $45 extra you think ?..

I know about the difference between the PMDG DC-6 XPlane version and the forthcoming FSX version. Apparently much more programming possibillities with XP compared to FSX. But i seem to understand that there's no such difference between FSX and P3Dv3. I'm just curious where this price difference comes from and why i can't find anything about that in the PMDG forum..

I have P3Dv2 but just for testing. P3Dv3 as well but not installed yet. I still love FSX. I just wonder if this new PMDG 747 masterpiece is a good reason to finally install P3Dv3 and learn to love it...

I have always loved the older PMDG 747 and 737NGX as well.

cavaricooper
April 20th, 2017, 19:42
Jan-

i have avoided commenting on this thread because of my inherent PMDG bias... but as it's you... I shall stick my oar in these waters. You already know how much I love and and appreciate MJ's C-47 with your VVC and Ted's engines and Gordon's talents and Alex's incredible ADE.... go ahead and try it in P3D v3.4.... I promise it's worth the work- promise!

Feel free to PM me for any issues you might encounter- I would be honored to repay a small portion of my indebtedness to you.

Best- Carl

jeansy
April 21st, 2017, 16:09
Thanks, Manfred !

Hard to say however, with some developers its their primary source of income, and every time LM update P3D some developer's products require updates to get all the features back up and running. If you think of every update and depending on how much they change things with v4/64bit it may require a complete overhaul, this is time wasted when they could be developing another model, as a beta tester for a payware developer, ive seen it first hand how each p3d v3 update can mess a product up each time, I can image what a new OS will do to many releases

In addition they also stated when P3D goes 64bit/V4 there will be no cost to transfer over to the new Sim OS which is huge bonus as many developers still dont offer a free update for a pre p3d release product that they updated to run post p3d release. a perfect example of this is virtvia and their seaking, it was released before V2 and v3 of P3D and currently doesnt work too well in the latest version of P3D, however I noticed the other day they now want another $30 odd for a working P3D version, to bad for the guys who bought it when it was released. You wont get that with PMDG, hence why the extra for the p3d version

manfredc3
April 21st, 2017, 21:03

Well, my point of view is biased by the fact that I do not have P3D, Bust I am more about functionality than reflections and stuff, so I would not see the value of the substantial additional cost. I would put that money aside for the release of the DC-6B for fsx/p3d.

In your case, as you already have P3D v3 it might be just what you need to make the plunge and explore what that P3Dv3 has to offer.

Javis
April 22nd, 2017, 20:39
Thanks gents! Took the plunge and installed P3Dv3. First glance looks very promising but i want the best for my expensive PMDG P3Dv3 747 of course.

Not very promising is the fact that i have spend a couple of aggrevating hours trying to install FTX Global for P3Dv3 to begin with...

It all looks wonderfully easy to re-install Orbx stuff via the new FTX Central 3 but all i keep getting is "Your download for FTX Global Base Pack has been interrupted"... Tried all installation options, nothing works. I see i am certainly not the only one having this problem but i have yet to see a solution that works. I came to understand that i need to redownload/reinstall *all* my Orbx/FTX stuff in order for it to work with P3Dv3...

Starting to have second thoughts about my plunge.. Thinking about giving up on flightsimming all together and go and cultivate bonsai trees :mixed-smiley-027:

jeansy
April 22nd, 2017, 21:28
Thanks gents! Took the plunge and installed P3Dv3. First glance looks very promising but i want the best for my expensive PMDG P3Dv3 747 of course.

Not very promising is the fact that i have spend a couple of aggrevating hours trying to install FTX Global for P3Dv3 to begin with...

It all looks wonderfully easy to re-install Orbx stuff via the new FTX Central 3 but all i keep getting is "Your download for FTX Global Base Pack has been interrupted"... Tried all installation options, nothing works. I see i am certainly not the only one having this problem but i have yet to see a solution that works. I came to understand that i need to redownload/reinstall *all* my Orbx/FTX stuff in order for it to work with P3Dv3...

Starting to have second thoughts about my plunge.. Thinking about giving up on flightsimming all together and go and cultivate bonsai trees :mixed-smiley-027:

you can use your old installers still, you dont need to do all your downloads via FTX Cen v3, most people would be there until the end of the earth with the poor bandwidth experienced by many

unless there has been a major update it will require the download

Javis
April 24th, 2017, 09:17
Well, the next day at a different time it finally started working reasonably well. Still took a couple hours but atleast i now have all my European FTX stuff installed in the proper way. I don't think i've ever seen my flightsim looking this good, and this is still without tweaks or anything, so i'm happy to have bitten the sour apple afterall.

Thanks again guys! :encouragement:

cavaricooper
April 24th, 2017, 10:29
Jan-

Get it sorted, get PTA working and (with respect) you'll never look back. I no longer have FSX installed.
Glad you took a bite of the forbidden fruit ;)

Best- Carl

TuFun
April 24th, 2017, 14:31
Well, the next day at a different time it finally started working reasonably well. Still took a couple hours but atleast i now have all my European FTX stuff installed in the proper way. I don't think i've ever seen my flightsim looking this good, and this is still without tweaks or anything, so i'm happy to have bitten the sour apple afterall.

Thanks again guys! :encouragement:

What's really cool is flying below the clouds and seeing the cockpit shadows change by the clouds blocking the sun. And real reflection in the skin, not static like FSX.

Also give PTA a try.

Good source of info here:

http://www.nzfsim.org/index.php?dsp=PTA&preset=21_10#current

Javis
April 27th, 2017, 10:33
Thanks for the PTA tip, guys, i'm on it ! Screenshots look amazing !

I believe i'm hooked.. :cool: