PDA

View Full Version : Does the CR1 Aeronca Champ have a compass?

ryapad
January 24th, 2017, 13:07
Hello. I have been looking at the CR1 software Aeronca Champ. While looking at the in-cockpit shots, I could not find a compass anywhere in the VC. Can someone that owns the model or might know where it is point it out to me?

Thanks,
Ryan

DaveB
January 24th, 2017, 13:21
I can see what looks like a DG but from the shots.. no wet compass.

ATB
DaveB:)

dhasdell
January 24th, 2017, 13:23
The compass is third from the left in the top row of instruments. And the wingfold command opens the cowling.

ryapad
January 24th, 2017, 17:44
Thanks. I'm not really sure how I didn't see that. If it is a DG/Electronic instrument, why would one install in place of a magnetic compass, which is cheaper and would work in an electrical/engine failure? Can you add/remove instruments through a control panel? One champ in a video I saw had a different instrument in the place of the compass.

Ryan

Penzoil3
January 25th, 2017, 00:55
Not a wet compass, but it's there. LOL No control panel, but you could easily alias in a wet compass from another plane. (modifying the panel.cfg)

http://www.fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2017/01/25/CR1compass.jpg

thefrog
January 25th, 2017, 01:39
Is there an easy way to tell the difference between a Directional Gyro and a magnetic compass? I always assume that if you can't adjust it, it's probably magnetic but if there is an adjustment knob, it's a DG.

Dev One
January 25th, 2017, 03:39
It looks as if its meant to be an 'Airpath' make of a 'wet' magnetic compass. There are other makes available.
Keith

Dev One
January 25th, 2017, 04:14
Is there an easy way to tell the difference between a Directional Gyro and a magnetic compass? I always assume that if you can't adjust it, it's probably magnetic but if there is an adjustment knob, it's a DG.
I think you are correct in thinking that a DG will have an adjustment knob, but the other way of finding out if its magnetic type is that it will lag when turning in one direction & lead when going the other.
The panel mounted P3 type of compass (similar to the one illustrated above) was used in the 1930's, but nowadays is usually called a standby compass.
Keith

srgalahad
January 25th, 2017, 07:15
Aircraft are required to have a magnetic compass for heading information. Since it operates independently of aircraft systems or movement it is the primary reference. Over the years there have been many styles and details (remember the old 'flat' or horizontal compass in the FS9 Vimy or DH Comet?) but they are just more refined versions working on the basic principle. They have design flaws that made them less precise once IFR operations required accurate heading info.

A directional gyro is electric- or vacuum-powered to run the gyroscope and has to be initially 'set' by reference to the mag compass, hence the knob. The vacuum systems are either engine-driven (like vacuum windshield wipers on an old car) or motion-powered - that venturi tube on the side of the fuselage provides the source once there is airflow. Many gyros also have a "cage" mechanism that locks it as they can be damaged or rendered inoperative during extreme maneuvers. They also should be reset periodically in flight as they can 'drift' due to friction or mechanical interference. (the option is enabled in FS - the default "D" key assignment)

The heading displays in modern aircraft may be remote-reading or digital displays but somewhere in the cockpit you will also find a basic mag. compass for reference/backup.

In the CR-1 Aeronca it's intended to be a mag. compass but the gauge is incorrectly named as a DG and is a pretty old gauge. I bet if you look back in some of Tom's older (FS2002/2004) aircraft you will find something similar. If it's in the parts bin and still works....