PDA

View Full Version : Curved Screen Monitor?

Willy
January 20th, 2017, 19:12
I came very close to buying one today, but backed out as I couldn't find any specs on it. Are they any good for FS? I was thinking it could be nice in VC view.

Jafo
January 20th, 2017, 19:18
4k....3D....curved screens....all manufacturer-driven [marketing] to get people to buy new Televisions when what they already have is more than adequate and would otherwise hinder sales.
Computer monitors are caught up in the same market-drive...;)

Willy
January 20th, 2017, 19:27
I'm still using an old 19" square screen monitor. lol

ColoKent
January 20th, 2017, 19:41
Willy-- I recently bought a new system from Jetline Systems (WONDERFUL for P3D!!!), and had this (very helpful) debate with those guys...bottom line, the curved screen is a personal choice...I didn't go for the curved screen, and I'm happy with the result. I'm hopeful however, that someone who chose the curved screen will weigh in and give you the benefit of their experience.

Kent

jeansy
January 21st, 2017, 00:36
I bought one about 5mths ago its a LG 27' curved

to be honest unless i stand up and look down at it, you cant tell its a curved screen at all and doesnt look the slightest different to the 2 other monitors I use

if i knew what i knew now, i wouldve bought a bigger flat screen or used the money i saved on a 27 flat and bought another HD

not the best $600 ive spent recently, im kicking myself for not waiting and buying a 4k monitor

but each to their own,

Willy
January 21st, 2017, 03:54
Another reason I held back is that my current monitor (View Sonic VA903mb) has been great and the only issue is that it's not a wide screen. I'd never seen a curved one before and thought "wouldn't that be slick?".

TeiscoDelRay
January 21st, 2017, 04:44
65 inch Samsung curved 4k and love it but I do graphic/texture work and it does have the illusion of bending straight horizontal lines.

Jafo
January 21st, 2017, 05:09
65 inch Samsung curved 4k and love it but I do graphic/texture work and it does have the illusion of bending straight horizontal lines.
Staring at straight lines all my adult life [44 years in Architecture] and that would drive me mental.

I can't think of anything worse than actually paying a premium for distortion...;)

dvj
January 21st, 2017, 07:27
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=46511&stc=1I plan to put 3 of the new HP Omen X 35" curved displays together. ;-) Nice wrap-around feel. Good for any gaming simulator.

scotth6
January 21st, 2017, 07:40
If you want an illusion of sitting in a cockpit, VR would be better. Oculus Rift or HTC Vive. Probably around the same price as a high end monitor.

nomad13
January 21st, 2017, 07:48
Wait for the 3D curved monitors to come out.

henrystreet
January 21st, 2017, 08:12
Wait for the 3D curved monitors to come out.

This is the way I'm headed. VR as it is currently implemented is a visual simulation only, the only advantage being the 3d element. For those of us with simpits, and a more rich simulation experience (read: tactile simulation), VR does not come close to a better overall experience.

3x 3D monitors or 3D projection system with Track IR projection system is the way to go for the fullest sim experience, simpit included.

Stickshaker
January 21st, 2017, 10:46
If you want an illusion of sitting in a cockpit, VR would be better. Oculus Rift or HTC Vive. Probably around the same price as a high end monitor.

I absolutely agree. I would not have anything else since I have the Rift.

dvj
January 21st, 2017, 16:08

Yes, but... VR headsets make me dizzy and nauseous when using them. The technology is young yet.

d

Peacemaker
January 22nd, 2017, 01:45
I have an lg 34" 21:9 curved 3k monitor. While I haven't played FS on it (no HDD space) other First Person Shooters are extremely enjoyable and I wont be going back to 16:9 or anything smaller any time soon.

vortex
January 22nd, 2017, 09:56
Yes, but... VR headsets make me dizzy and nauseous when using them. The technology is young yet.

d

Same for me! Also, the resolution is poor at the moment. It needs at least 1920x1080 on each display (and a built in bag to throw up in!).

nomad13
January 22nd, 2017, 12:00
Eventually, VR will be standard equipment for the computer gaming experience. Keep in mind, the current VR hardware is the first generation of consumer VR products, technology will improve and prices will drop. Getting nauseous or dizzy seems to be a problem for some users. Kind of like being seasick. VR technology is going to develop quickly, so, like a lot of new technology, if you can wait to try it out, you're probably better off.

Willy
January 22nd, 2017, 14:52
The one I almost bought the other day was a 24" Samsung for $200ish. On the box, all it said was it was a 24" curved screen monitor that was great for gaming and had a great picture. That's it. No mention of native resolution or what kind of hardware connections it had to hook it up to your comp. Not even a mention of phyical dimensions although judging by the size of the box it was about the same height at my current 19" square one. Not even if it was LED or LCD.