PDA

View Full Version : Advice requested regarding Milviz F-86 Paintkit

scotth6
January 19th, 2017, 23:12
Hi,

I am a total beginner when it comes to repaints. I have been searching for and reading and watching tutorials, but I am still having a bit of trouble getting started with a repaint of the Milviz F-86 using the available paint kit. I am using Adobe Photoshop CS2, which I have only installed very recently. I used to use Gimp for scenery design, but I read that can have some trouble with the layers in the .psd paint kits.

When I open the first file of the paint kit with photoshop (F86_1_T.psd) I get a few errors on loading. The file loads but it puts up the following errors.

http://www.fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2017/01/20/psderror1.jpg

http://www.fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2017/01/20/psderror2.jpg

http://www.fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2017/01/20/psderror3.jpg

http://www.fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2017/01/20/psderror4.jpg

I am just wondering if anyone knows the reason for these errors. Are they serious errors? Is it due to the version of Photoshop I am using (CS2)? Can I just ignore these errors?

I was going to ask about the text used for the tail number, but I seem to have discovered how to alter it now, as I previously thought it was a text layer, but it seems to be graphics.

Any advice regarding this and any pointers on finding a good tutorial using psd paint kits would be appreciated. Thanks.

Scott

DaveB
January 19th, 2017, 23:54
Hi Scott:wavey:

The usual reason for that sort of error/s is that the PK was made in a later version of Photoshop.. except for the text error which can occur in any version if you don't have the particular font referenced in the .psd on your rig. The other errors are probably caused by CS2 not being able to read the layer groups correctly. Very little you can do except to accept the errors and see what happens. CS2.. although great for the price, is not infallible I'm afraid. I generally use PSE2 and only go to CS2 in an emergency. If CS2 can't handle a map.. I give in there and then.

I have the MV F86 but I'm not sure if I have the PK. I'll have a look and see if I get the same error.

EDIT: Just downloaded the F86 PK and I see the same errors using CS2 mate. Some of the groups are HUGE and I think this is where the problem lies. I tried the 'read composite data' button and it basically flattens the map. There may be web-based alternatives to CS2 which may work.. I'm sure Willy uses one such program. As for using CS2.. on this occasion, nope.
ATB
DaveB:)

scotth6
January 20th, 2017, 02:38
Hi Dave,

Thanks very much for your responses, that at least clears a few things up. Back to the drawing table for now then ;) .

Cheers,

DaveB
January 20th, 2017, 03:00
Hi Scott..

You may still be able to produce your own paints with it but will not have the same control over the troublesome layers. This said.. I've found CS2 very clunky.. nay.. cranky when working on maps that throw these errors out. This often ends in it hanging or the infamous 'this program has encountered an error and needs to close down' message:dizzy:

I had a think about the program Willy mentioned and I'm sure it's paint.net. I had a quick look and it's free and comes with various plugins.. one of which is .psd. Whether it would allow you to open the F86 maps without errors remains to be seen but it might be worth a try.

ATB

scotth6
January 20th, 2017, 04:08
Thanks Dave. I do have Paint.net installed, and just recently installed the psd plugin too. That was before I installed PS CS2, and before I could figure out how to even get the layers to appear with another paint kit :biggrin-new:. I have used layers before, just not a paint kit, and I was opening the wrong file. I also tried opening the F-86 paint kit with GIMP tonight, and it actually seems OK. OK but not perfect. No errors appeared, but the paint does not appear the same as it does in CS2, with a couple of colours missing and no sheen etc. All the layers seem to be present and workable, so I am just doing some experimenting at the moment.

I also looked up the latest version of Photoshop on the website, and found a pretty good deal for the new 2017 Creative Cloud Photoshop and Lightroom for $9.99 USD per month. The whole Creative Cloud suite is about $50 -$80 USD per month (depending on the length of subscription). I am generally not a fan of any type of subscription products, but I am tempted to try out the $9.99 package.

The funny thing is that for the past few months Adobe has been sending me emails with offers for the Creative Cloud suite and I have pretty much ignored them all, with no interest whatsoever.

I also found a version of Photoshop CS6 Extended on sale for $109.95, reduced from $999, from some software site (Softdepot). It seems legitimate, but I'm not sure about buying it from a 3rd party.

http://jeyfmxeszlewhacs.softwaredeal.top/product/adobe-photoshop-cs6-extended/?sid=FHOrncznDTtjUCuLUzRlSSqYCHZHjkMd

For the moment I might just see if I can even achieve what I want to with my "skill set" in my experimental versions using GIMP and Paint.net and/or PS CS2.

Thanks again for the info.

Cheers,

Scott

DaveB
January 20th, 2017, 13:45
Yeah.. it kills me the price of Photoshop. Even the older versions (3 or 4) still command a fairly high price and the annoying thing is.. we could cough up for one of these and STILL not be able to open the newer paintkits. The JF/AH Mosquito was a case in point. Users who had up to CS5 got errors (like the ones seen in CS2 with the Sabre kit) but 5.5 and above were ok.:dizzy: I've either got to hang my brushes up and retire or win the lottery!!:biggrin-new:

If you manage to find a combination that works ok.. drop a note back here;)
ATB