PDA

View Full Version : Airport Reference Data

JohnC
January 13th, 2017, 17:39
Hello All,

Real life obligations have made it very challenging to find time for flight simulation, and I frequently only have time for a couple of laps of touch and go's. To keeps things interesting and to minimize planning time, I created a spreadsheet with some of the more scenic and/or challenging airports found around the world. The goal was to be able to pick a plane, then quickly find an airport that matched the airframe's capabilities (or vice-versa) and have enough information to make a couple of ILS passes if the weather happened to be tricky. And every airport on the list has a payware alternative just in case a location appealing enough to merit regular visits.

I'm not sure if others might find it helpful, so I've attached the pdf for a quick print and the source excel sheet in case a new or different set of airports is desirable.

Best,
John

scotth6
January 13th, 2017, 18:12
:encouragement:
Thanks for sharing. That is a handy reference. I'm sure it could be added to also, but I already visit a lot of the airports in this list. The ILS frequency and heading is what I like the most. Usually I'm on approach in a jetliner somewhere and I have to use my phone to google the ILS frequency of the airport I'm about to land at. Not very good planning, I know.

Cheers,

p14u2nv
January 13th, 2017, 19:43
Thank you very much John

Navy Chief
January 14th, 2017, 05:30
Thank you for this. I normally don't use spreadsheets, but I downloaded and took a look at your list, and saw several that looked interesting! NC:encouragement:

jschall
January 14th, 2017, 06:48
Usually I'm on approach in a jetliner somewhere and I have to use my phone to google the ILS frequency of the airport I'm about to land at.
@scotth6:Besides this handy list, other things you could open in a second window:

FS Tramp Free - mouse over the airport to get all info, including a fly-to heading. Without losing FSX audio.

Plan-G - similar info to FS Tramp Free, but you lose the audio from FSX.

Sky Vector - for airport and airway info.

No need to Google from your phone! :mixed-smiley-010:

scotth6
January 14th, 2017, 18:02
Hey jschall.

Thanks very much for the info. I have often thought of setting up another monitor for map purposes, but my current desk is pretty cluttered, so I just have one monitor. I did have 3 set up before, to have a 3 screen, wide view, but that has been a while. I also only use full screen mode with sims, so the phone is just a handy "tiny" screen to check other info very occasionally.

Thanks again for your suggestions though.

Cheers,

jschall
January 15th, 2017, 05:12
@scotth6: With FSTramp Free, a small resizeable window opens over FSX, even full-screen. Once your Nav radio is tuned, you can dismiss the window. No need for a second screen.