PDA

View Full Version : Weird problem with cowl flaps.

gradyhappyg
January 11th, 2017, 19:25
First the default commands ctrl+shft+c/v stopped working altogether even though in the options/controls menu that's what was showing then I reassigned to ctrl+shft+b/n they started working again but now every time I hit the brakes the cowl flaps open not all the way just a little every time I hit the brakes even though it's not showing that command in the menu. I tried resetting to defaults but then I had the original not working issue except opening when I hit the brakes. Even tried deleting the controls xml. from apps/roaming/FSX rebuilt then the same issue. Anyone else have something similar happen? Is the control xml in apps/roaming/FSX the one FSX uses? I am guessing something has been corrupted but I don't know what to look for. Anyone have any thoughts?

Also tried deleting the FSX config found out it won't rebuild for some reason FSX just crashes on start so I had to replace it with the copied one..

marijn
January 11th, 2017, 23:52
Are you using an external device to "hit the brakes"? Assuming that I would check which of the functions of that device is also linked to your cowl flaps function.
Looks like it that the device is playing havoc with yout set-up and is using your "brake" function as an activator for the cowl flaps.

gradyhappyg
January 12th, 2017, 03:41
marijn The only devices I have hooked up are my Thrustmaster T1600 a keyboard and mouse that came with the PC. Tried using different USB ports deleting reinstalling drivers and recalibrating to no effect. Also the keyboard command for brakes doesn't open the flaps.
I just deleted all commands from the sim that have anything to do with both cowl flaps and brakes and still when I pull the trigger the cowl flaps start opening. Darndest thing I've seen in a while not a deal breaker but very very annoying. Also wondering if it might have something to do with FSUIPC use the unregistered version but wonder if something in there might have been corrupted somehow. Guess I'll try reinstalling that next.

griphos
January 12th, 2017, 04:57
What Marijn is saying is that you need to check control assignments for each device. There's a drop down box that lets you select control device - keyboard, M16000 joystick, etc. Different functions can be assigned differently for different devices, and also for buttons and axes on the same device. You have to check for cowl flap inputs for all devices. FSX can only operate sim features based on what the control assignments are, so you have cowl flaps and brakes overlapping in the assignments somewhere.

How are you activating brakes? Keyboard? Button on joystick? If the latter, for instance, you need to go into controls settings, select the joystick in the drop down box, and go to cowl flaps entry with the joystick buttons as the control input active and remove the entries.

FSX control settings aren't very user friendly, but they aren't bad given its age.

gradyhappyg
January 12th, 2017, 16:51
Thanks for the help but I know when I am beat.
I give up (insert throwing in the towel emoji here) I have deleted all assignments for both brakes and cowl flaps reset to default deleted again reset deleted controls.xml restarted sim restarted pc again and again all to end up where I started. Default commands for cowl flaps no longer work even when showing in controls menu and pressing of #1 button on joystick still incrementally opens cowl flaps even though it's not showing in the menu. I choose to consider myself lucky it isn't the landing flaps or landing gear commands that got borked and as a plus I will never overheat on the apron again.

griphos
January 13th, 2017, 05:37
Do you have the paid version of Pete's FSUIPC? Did you recently install an A2A aircraft? I'm just trying to think of addons that intercept or overlay control inputs. It seems that the issue is not in your sim input file. But something changed recently. What did you add right before this started?

gradyhappyg
January 13th, 2017, 16:56
Well griphos gave me another area to check out came up empty again. Checked all aircraft with built in configurators all blank no assignments at all. And I use the free version of FSUIPC just to be safe uninstalled and reinstalled still have the same issue. I am starting to wonder if my joystick might have a short in the trigger button have a spare in the basement but haven't had the time to dig it out yet.
Thanks for trying.