PDA

View Full Version : Captain Sim sale everything $9.99 24 hrs only

RobM
January 9th, 2017, 07:04
Just got the email:

We are pleased to announce that exclusively at Captain Sim online store, from 00:00 to 23:59 11JAN2017 (UTC) everything is $9.99. Visit us at: http://www.captainsim.com (http://www.captainsim.com/)
24 hours only. At 23:59 11JAN2017 (UTC) all prices are back to regular.
Stay tuned,

Captain Sim News

I posted here so people don't miss.

Thanks - RobM

PS Although note the sale isn't until Jan-11

rvn817j
January 9th, 2017, 09:40
What is the most recent / best Captain Sim release? (I already have the B-52 and C-130 from them. You may be able to determine from those that I own, I usually go for military aircraft, so that is why I ask the question.) Thanks.

fsafranek
January 9th, 2017, 10:50
Any experience/opinions on their Boeing 707-300 base model and follow-on E-3 expansion model?

Screenshots look very nice (as expected).

Just watched a 15 minute cockpit preflight and engine startup video on youtube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3DQlKwh68A) for the base model. Is there a jump-in-and-go option?
:ernaehrung004:

ian elliot
January 9th, 2017, 11:11
Blimey, their Mig 21 twin seater is still soldering on, that was my first ever payware, and to be honest, still my most enjoyable. the external model still looks good in FSX, but the VC is unusable, might just load it up for old times sake.

cheers ian

StormILM
January 9th, 2017, 11:46
Any experience/opinions on their Boeing 707-300 base model and follow-on E-3 expansion model?

Screenshots look very nice (as expected).

Just watched a 15 minute cockpit preflight and engine startup video on youtube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3DQlKwh68A) for the base model. Is there a jump-in-and-go option?
:ernaehrung004:

Frank,

I have the base model 707 and it is still quite nice considering it's age. You can do a quick Control+E start up if you like but it seems there were a number of times it was already running when I started the flight (I supposed that might also be dictated by your saved flight & aircraft state of that saved flight). The model is very stable, handles very well, a joy to fly by hand. The sound file is excellent as well.

SSI01
January 9th, 2017, 13:50
I own the C-130 & all variants for FS9, plus the F-104, B707, and that MiG-21UM spoken of earlier. All are excellent, so good I am thinking about purchasing the C-130 for FSX and installing it there as well.

B707 is a good job, detailed enough it doesn't overwhelm you with systems management problems, yet still allows a detailed-enough startup from cold & dark. Plenty of textures to choose from, too.

You've got to pick your way carefully through the installation procedures when you install and start first time. Also, their tech. assistance takes some slow and careful reading in order for you to understand it. I've always gotten an answer, though it may take some time.

fsafranek
January 9th, 2017, 13:59
Frank,

I have the base model 707 and it is still quite nice considering it's age. You can do a quick Control+E start up if you like but it seems there were a number of times it was already running when I started the flight (I supposed that might also be dictated by your saved flight & aircraft state of that saved flight). The model is very stable, handles very well, a joy to fly by hand. The sound file is excellent as well.

Thanks for the reply. I downloaded the free demo. Visually all is very nice but I'm getting flashing as I look around the cockpit in all directions so that might mean a game ender. Quel dommage.

Aharon
January 9th, 2017, 18:27
Has CS released new panel for C-130J?

Boss86001
January 9th, 2017, 18:31
Am finally going to pick up the 777. :running:

scotth6
January 9th, 2017, 22:20
I picked up a few aircraft during their last €9.99 EUR sale. I got the 707, 727, 767, 777. I haven't flown the 767 or 777 much, but quite often fly the 707 and 727. They are both excellent simulations.

The 777 has some nice features, and while probably not modelled to the standard of the PMDG 777, it is damn close, so at $100 less, it makes a fine simulation also.

I also bought their B-52 and C-130 previous to this, and I have to say I am a fan of all of their aircraft.

Cheers,

Daveroo
January 9th, 2017, 22:34
Has anyone tried the C-130 in P3D?

scotth6
January 9th, 2017, 22:51

From memory I have and it worked fine. I will install it tonight and confirm.

You just need to have the FSX.EXE and/or FS9.EXE present in the P3D folder for the installer to work. Not sure why the FS9.EXE, but I remember that was a prerequisite for the installer to install in to the P3D folder. You can just copy the one from FSX or FSX:SE if you have it installed, or worst case, just temporarily making a faux exe should work. Just create a new text file, and rename it FS9.EXE.

Edit:

Yep. Works fine. (P3D V3.4.9)

http://www.fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2017/01/10/2017-1-10_19-26-24-477.jpg

http://www.fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2017/01/10/2017-1-10_19-28-2-848.jpg

Cheers,

jeansy
January 10th, 2017, 02:04
I was reading on their forums a while back with their recent installers if you buy a fsx addon that is also available for p3d you wont be able to drag it over at a later date, there is something in the coding that rejects p3d

how true im not sure, just a thought before buying something

wombat666
January 10th, 2017, 03:08

No problems at all Dave.:encouragement:

https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1348x764q90/r/921/GtJVfu.jpg

papab
January 10th, 2017, 05:05
I have tried to install the C 130 in P3D
I have the FSX.exe in the P3D root folder
When I browse to P3d folder the "OK" in the installer is still grayed out

How did you get it to install?
Thanks
Rick

expat
January 10th, 2017, 05:38
Interested to hear if anyone has merged the 767 or 777 vc with the SkySpirit (POSKY) models with success, and whether these are better than the alternatives (767 - 757 Fremmium; 777 - default in FS9 model; it's a port but a cracker of a vc).

b52bob
January 10th, 2017, 05:59
I have their L-1011, 727, 707, 777 and B-52. The B-52 is extremely well done and very nicely detailed. If you are at all interested in this bomber, get this, you won't be disappointed but make sure you read the docs especially the start up. I love the 707 in FSX but don't fly it much as I mostly use P3D. Will try in install in P3D tonight following the suggestions here.

Captain Sim makes some really nice aircraft. Wish they were still bringing new ones out.

thefrog
January 10th, 2017, 06:05

Thanks
Rick

I only got it to work when I put a FS9.exe file in the P3D root folder. Then it worked perfectly.

scotth6
January 10th, 2017, 06:08

Thanks
Rick

Hi Rick,

For some reason I'm pretty sure you need the FS9.exe file present in the P3D root folder also. See my post #12 above:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php/104005-Captain-Sim-sale-everything-9-99-24-hrs-only?p=1061230&viewfull=1#post1061230

Cheers,

mal998
January 10th, 2017, 07:58
I might be missing it but I don't see the 707 on sale anywhere.

RaFi
January 10th, 2017, 08:13
I might be missing it but I don't see the 707 on sale anywhere.

The sale is only tomorrow and will most likely only be on the captain sim web site.

00:00 to 23:59 11JAN2017 (UTC)

DaveB
January 10th, 2017, 08:23
It IS available Mal.. just had a look. 707 Captain.. which generally means you have a base model and have to buy the variations. Had the Legendary 707 (FS9 version) which was a lovely model but very heavy on system resources. Better when I oiked the VC out. Custom code for the AP meant it couldn't fly an FS generated flightplan using all three AP channels which was the main reason I ended up not flying it much.

ATB
DaveB:)

expat
January 10th, 2017, 12:14
I got it to fly an AP/GPS route in FSX with no problems with a few simple obvious mods. The 707 and 727 are in a class of their own + highly recommended.

expat
January 10th, 2017, 12:16
The reason I don't see ANY thing on sale is that the sale is for tomorrow only, right?

DaveB
January 10th, 2017, 12:38
I got it to fly an AP/GPS route in FSX with no problems with a few simple obvious mods. The 707 and 727 are in a class of their own + highly recommended.

I never went for the FSX version. There was much boo-hoo'ing on the CS forums at the time resulting in the usual 'dismissals'. CS were willing to support the CIVA INS but nothing else. A lovely model for sure.

Re the sale.. when I looked yesterday, a lot was already showing money off but yes.. the $9.99 sale is from tomorrow.
ATB

manfredc3
January 10th, 2017, 15:00

Can you elaborate on the "mods", please?

Navy Chief
January 10th, 2017, 16:23
Sale is on NOW!:encouragement: NC

Update: From the looks of it, their server is being hit hard. It is taking me a long time to download just 92mb.

Lonewolfee1
January 10th, 2017, 18:30
Always had problems with the C-130 not playing well with other C-130's in multi-player. Does anyone else have this problem and have they fixed it?

ejoiner
January 10th, 2017, 19:37
anybody tried the B-52 in P3D? Does it work? I've been wanting a BUFF lately.

Stefano Zibell
January 10th, 2017, 19:45
I'm leaning toward getting the 777.

AusWilko
January 10th, 2017, 20:09
Looking at either the 727 or 1011, anyone have a opinion on which is better?

jeansy
January 10th, 2017, 22:10
Looking at either the 727 or 1011, anyone have a opinion on which is better?

I have both theyre both different aircraft i havent flown them in a while as i havent ported them into p3d

I liked the 1011 but dont like the fmc and but it has fat bird feeling which complements it well

The 727 is also a nice aircraft

Dont know, its hard to say which is better as they both have their credits and have been around long enough to iron out the bugs

expat
January 11th, 2017, 01:33
Can you elaborate on the "mods", please?

Don't have it installed at the moment. I think it was merely adding a pop up GPS and "backup" AP - probably an older FS9 737-400 model. I might have added a NAV/GPS switch somewhere. I think it is just a case of fiddling with the default AP Nav/GPS setting until it started to follow the basic FSX flightplan entered into the GPS. Similar machinations required to get the 727 to do the same. I usually abandon aircraft that won't follow a GPS plan, but fly these two CS birds often.

AusWilko
January 11th, 2017, 04:52
I have both theyre both different aircraft i havent flown them in a while as i havent ported them into p3d

I liked the 1011 but dont like the fmc and but it has fat bird feeling which complements it well

The 727 is also a nice aircraft

Dont know, its hard to say which is better as they both have their credits and have been around long enough to iron out the bugs

Thanks Jeansy, much appreciated

Think it might be the 727 but the 777 is also looking nice LOL spoilt for choices, might get them both but want to pick up a good heli now that I am back interested in FSX again.

ncooper
January 11th, 2017, 05:08
Always had problems with the C-130 not playing well with other C-130's in multi-player. Does anyone else have this problem and have they fixed it?

If you switch on the comm radios, it stops the flooding.

RaFi
January 11th, 2017, 06:40
I got the 757-200 and the C-130X this morning. I already had the Just Flight's C-130 on disk, but now I have a software backup with the A model that I was looking for.

I tried to start the 757 from cold, but I have a "fuel config" light on and I suspect it is preventing me from starting. I downloaded a manual and a video on how to start the 757, still, no start. The only difference is that light and I can't find information on how to fix it.

For trouble shooting, I have the default FSX flight on opening FSX (no saved flight), I loaded pax and cargo with ACE, I don't see where I can load fuel though. When the 757 is loaded, I turn off fuel control levers and switch off the battery. Then I start with the process of starting up.

The "fuel config" light is illuminated right from the start, when I loaded the 757.

Any help/advice will be appreciated.

expat
January 11th, 2017, 07:25
Picked up the 777. Hope it likes me . .

ncooper
January 11th, 2017, 07:25
Though I am sure that someone will come along and tell you, Captain Sim do have their own very informative forum (http://www.captainsim.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl)

RaFi
January 11th, 2017, 08:12
Picked up the 777. Hope it likes me . .

Completely forgot about that. My bad.

Of course trying to register is not working...

DaveB
January 11th, 2017, 12:17
I got the 757-200 and the C-130X this morning. I already had the Just Flight's C-130 on disk, but now I have a software backup with the A model that I was looking for.

I tried to start the 757 from cold, but I have a "fuel config" light on and I suspect it is preventing me from starting. I downloaded a manual and a video on how to start the 757, still, no start. The only difference is that light and I can't find information on how to fix it.

For trouble shooting, I have the default FSX flight on opening FSX (no saved flight), I loaded pax and cargo with ACE, I don't see where I can load fuel though. When the 757 is loaded, I turn off fuel control levers and switch off the battery. Then I start with the process of starting up.

The "fuel config" light is illuminated right from the start, when I loaded the 757.

Try starting with a default flight and/or a default model.. don't go straight to the CS757
ATB

Stefano Zibell
January 11th, 2017, 19:53
Just a heads up to those of us who got the 777, there's a patch in the forums that will bring it to the latest version:

http://www.captainsim.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1476980079

ncooper
January 11th, 2017, 23:05

At the bottom of the fuel panel are two fuel pump switches.
Click on the outside of each and the light should go off.
They are only labelled left and right and easy to miss.

expat
January 12th, 2017, 00:58
OK. I am a moron. :banghead:

I thought I clicked on the FSX version of the 777 yesterday. Today getting around to installing it, I see I have the P3D version. DOH!!

I have had no problems at all with CS to date but fear they may not be too sympathetic. I have just emailed them requesting an exchange. Any suggestions on how to approach this?

Thanks guys,

expat

expat
January 12th, 2017, 01:17
Just received this from CS a moment ago (within minutes of my email to them). Now that is customer service! :applause:#

Dear Valued Customer,
Thank you for your purchase.

Your Order Number: xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Please download and install the "777 Captain (777-200) Base Pack [FSX/SE]" v1.70, ( 289.00 Mb ):
Server 1 (USA):xxxxxxxxxxxxx

----------------
Please note: the download URLs will expire in 72 hours.
Your PC must be connected to Internet for the installation.
Order Number is required for the installation.

Please do not reply to this receipt.
Customer Support is available at: http://www.captainsim.com/support/
Thank you!

Best regards,
Captain Sim
http://www.captainsim.com

AusWilko
January 12th, 2017, 01:17
OK. I am a moron. :banghead:

I thought I clicked on the FSX version of the 777 yesterday. Today getting around to installing it, I see I have the P3D version. DOH!!

I have had no problems at all with CS to date but fear they may not be too sympathetic. I have just emailed them requesting an exchange. Any suggestions on how to approach this?

Thanks guys,

expat

Well you are not alone, I got the L-1011 with 2 mins to spare and did exactly same thing. put in a ticket but heard nothing yet, could of sworn I clicked FSX but got the P3D

ncooper
January 12th, 2017, 03:31
Expat

I don't think they will be entirely happy that you have posted your
download link.
Perhaps you or one of the moderators can delete it.

expat
January 12th, 2017, 03:38
Copy that. Post edited. Thought that without the order number that would suffice, but always better to be on the safe side. Thanks for pointing it out.

AusWilko
January 12th, 2017, 03:44
Just like to add that I too was quickly and efficiently taken care of, hats of to them :applause:

ncooper
January 12th, 2017, 04:00
I think I have been a customer since 2008 and I have not once
had cause to complain about either their customer service or the
support forum.
In fact I agree that the standard of customer service is excellent.

SSI01
January 12th, 2017, 05:25
No problems at all Dave.:encouragement:

https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1348x764q90/r/921/GtJVfu.jpg

I finally picked up the "C130 Xperience" for FSX, all the variants plus base pack, for $9.99. THAT's a deal. As usual there are a number of free extra textures available through the CS website. Your screen shot above reminded me of a number of bare metal 1950s textures for the -130A that were done by a man named Nathan Phillips. I've been looking for bare metal early textures for this bird for a long time and it looks like Mr. Phillips made a few. However, the "Phillips" link posted at CS leads to nothing; has anyone heard anything about whether or not these bare metal textures are available?

wombat666
January 12th, 2017, 05:56
SSI01, I'll have a look through my backup HD which has all the repaints I've collected, I think (just think) there are several early repaints which might have come from the ORBX forum.
:encouragement:

mal998
January 12th, 2017, 06:36
As far as customer service is concerned I have to disagree this time around. I purchased yesterday through Paypal but never recieved an email from CS. Today I had to navigate throughout their website and was finally able to import the order number for the FSX 707. That allowed me to download with no help from CS. I'm happy to report that I now have the 707 installed but it seems that this time around my order fell through the cracks. :sorrow: Hopefully I'll have better luck next time. Having said that it's still a great deal for $10 bucks.

AusWilko
January 12th, 2017, 12:43
As far as customer service is concerned I have to disagree this time around. I purchased yesterday through Paypal but never recieved an email from CS. Today I had to navigate throughout their website and was finally able to import the order number for the FSX 707. That allowed me to download with no help from CS. I'm happy to report that I now have the 707 installed but it seems that this time around my order fell through the cracks. :sorrow: Hopefully I'll have better luck next time. Having said that it's still a great deal for $10 bucks.

Mal, I see you got it sorted which is good but did you check your junk folder for their email? when I put in my ticket their reply went to my junk folder and I had to transfer it out from there, just bringing this up in case someone else reads this and helps them out.

I have their 707, B52, C130's and now L1011 and they have been a great company to deal with

expat
January 12th, 2017, 13:27
I have their 707, B52, C130's and now L1011 and they have been a great company to deal with

Have to echo that. I have the C130, 727, 707 and now (unflown) 777. But there is something different about this outfit that I find affords great immersive simming. Love the sales!

expat
January 12th, 2017, 13:30
I'm happy to report that I now have the 707 installed but it seems that this time around my order fell through the cracks.

Mal, I have a feeling once you get your head around the systems and startup procedures you will find the 707 either in commercial or military garb nostalgically sublime.:wavey:

SSI01
January 12th, 2017, 16:39
SSI01, I'll have a look through my backup HD which has all the repaints I've collected, I think (just think) there are several early repaints which might have come from the ORBX forum.
:encouragement:

Many thanks Wombat, when I was a young airman many years ago I took a spin in a bare metal C-130A mapping aircraft belonging to the 1st Aerial Cartographic and Geodetic Squadron. I was wondering of one of those A model textures would illustrate that bird.

I would have replied earlier but spent most of the day down in Jax at Mayo Clinic with my bride, pre-surg. consult - only to find out the surgery scheduled for tomorrow has been CANCELLED. Kinda good and bad at the same time.

I'll check back in later!

mal998
January 13th, 2017, 06:40
No problems with the systems or flying the ol'gal. Only issue I had was never receiving an email with a link. Still haven't. As a matter of course I always check my spam folder. Nothing there either. But as I stated earlier, I did manage to get it sorted out and have already taken a flight.